Freshwater striper from tonight.... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > North Carolina - Interior
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Freshwater striper from tonight....

Headed out to the river at dark tonight hoping they were still runnin some water. Pull in, walk down to the top of the hill and hear flowing water, oh yeaaa. Get down to the rocks, tie on my favorite bomber and proceed to slingin. About the 10th cast I get the one you see below. Not a cow, but it's one we'd call a "hawg" around here. Just a few ounces shy of 20 pounds. Snapped a couple pics and slide her back in. Ended up with four more rangin from a couple 7 pounders, one a bit over 9, and another 13.6 Actually a pretty good night for around here. That 10# fireline got a workout tonight. Hopefully the pic comes out ok.

ReelPeeler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side view stripper.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	4278  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Freshwater striper from tonight....

Nice way to start the year. May the rest of 2008 be as successful.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks zeema, appreciate that. Hope you do well also in '08.

Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM

I gotta wait a month or two for it to warm up. Hope I can catch some just like that! You release them in water or grease?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Yer KILLING me !!

We have nothing here except cabin fever until after the March full moon.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Official Member

what was the water temp like?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchB View Post
You release them in water or grease?
I released it back into the water. When i first got it in, i wasnt sure it would make it, so i put it on the stringer. About 10 minutes later i hear the water splashin around and see the fish is doin fine. Take it off the stringer, move her back and forth a few times, and away it went. Awesome fight on 10# fireline, in the heavier current.

Actually, since the time i posted this picture, we have 2 more in the 19-20 # range, three or four in the 12-15 range, and many 10-11 and under, with every fish being released except one, which was one of the other 19 #r's. My buddy caught it, it was his.......I'll post a pic of it below. Believe it or not, this one was a male. Largest male i have seen around here.

Right now, our bigger fish are just startin to get up in here. Their isn't "alot" of them yet, and they arent super active yet, but with some patience, you can manage to stick 2 or 3 a day. Right now the goto baits for us have been chartruese bucktails durin the day, and fire tiger swimbaits or bombers at night.

Hmmm....Not sure on the water temp, but it is colddddddd.

ReelPeeler
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nineteen.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	4524  
Old 01-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Peeler What river is that?
Have you tried any saltwater plugs down there.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Peeler What river is that?
Have you tried any saltwater plugs down there.
Striperjim, you actually read my mind on the saltwater plugs. I have been buyin a bit of wood here and there. You should see the reactions i get from the guys when i pull one of these things out, LOL. Most of the guys around here aint never seen nothin like it. I haven't had any luck on them yet, but I believe once the fish (and bait) really get up in here, thats gonna change. Those metal lipped swimmers just look way to good in the water for a big bass to pass up.

Below are some i've picked up so far. I have 4 or 5 more i carry in the car with me, a couple darters, and a couple more swimmers.

While i don't mind tellin you which river we fish, i believe some of the old timers i fish with might consider it "spot burnin", so its probably best not to say in an open forum. If i mentioned the river, it would be obvious to anyone around here where we are at. Feel free to PM me if you like, i believe you can keep a "secret".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wood swimmers.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	4529  
Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelPeeler View Post
ReelPeeler
Nice fish,good for you getting out so early,as stated by Sudsy we gotta wait till early April for them water temps to rise a l'il bit.

Btw who's the Guy in the second pic,he looks like Jessy from the Dukes of Hazzard LOL!!!!!

5/0
Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Peeler

Pt. taken.
I thought about that after I posted it. Sorry. We take the spot burning very seriously. It was more of a education thing for me as I didnt recognize the Dam.
I was talking to a guy today that told me he might start dodging the backround of the pictures he puts on his web site. Thats how much of a problem its become with the net and all.
The responsible sites are the ones that attract the best fishermen. Again I apologize.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Btw who's the Guy in the second pic,he looks like Jessy from the Dukes of Hazzard LOL!!!!!
5/0

Thats Big Sid. Funny you said that, thats what i was callin him yesterday down at the river, LOL. Gid 'um uncle jesse....Gid 'um...Sids a good guy and a heck of a fisherman. I've seen him catch when no one else was. One of the oldtimers....

Striperjim: I knew how you meant it, no offense taken whatsoever. No need to apologize. I did a search on spot burnin, and i see exactly how serious you take it, and i'm with you 100%. Best striper site on the net as far as i'm concerned!

You have a PM.

Peeler
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelPeeler View Post
Thats Big Sid. Funny you said that, thats what i was callin him yesterday down at the river, LOL. Gid 'um uncle jesse....Gid 'um...Sids a good guy and a heck of a fisherman. I've seen him catch when no one else was. One of the oldtimers....
You tell him that Rosco peecotrain say's hi! and o ya Give Daisy a big-ol kiss from meLOL!!!!!!

5/0