Pencil rod questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 PM
LunkHead

Default Pencil rod questions

Hey all you rodbuilder types, I have questions regarding pencil rods based on Lami's GSB 132 1M blanks. This is the blank that I've been advised to find, Lami has them on their website, I've seen them in use and they seem to work real well, but they are rated for 4-10 oz ? Probably the heaviest pencil I own goes 3 oz., tops.....If I were to buy an Arra XSRA 1322-2 11'er, it's rated 1-5, or a Surf and Jetty Model XS 11 MS rated at 2-4 oz., (which is what my local Lami dealer is suggesting) will these work a pencial as well as the GSB?

Conversely, if I find a rod based on the GSB blank, will it be useful as an all around plugging stick, or is it a dedicated pencil rod? I'm pretty curious about the 4-10 oz rating, is this things intended use as a bait rod?

I have found one new rod available built on the GSB blank, $400.00, a little steep....or a lot steep, if you're on my budget.

Last question, if I buy a factory Lami I get a complete rod with the reel seat set where they decide it should go......If I buy a blank and build it I can set the reel wherever I like......so, where would I like? Any opinions from anyone who uses an 11'er?
Thanks,

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Pencil rod questions

Ed,
I have an 11' AnyFish Anywhere rod that I promised ThumbBurner I'd pass around to the club members to try out. Fall run is just around the corner and I was going to start handing it out. There's a line, but since you're in the market for a new rod right now I'll bump you to the top to take it for a ride for a week. Call me we'll set it up.

You should be able to build it spinning for around $250 to $275 total.

I fished it for the first time this past weekend in Montauk and the thing outcasts every pencil rod I've ever owned including my XS 101 MS and even my Kennedy Fisher (which put my 101 into retirement). It has great action too - No fish on it yet but in terms of casting and rod action I think it's, if not the best then one of the finest, pencil rods I've ever used.
Unfortunately the fishing sucked at the end so I can't discuss its fish fighting ability yet (first M skunk in years ) Hopefully I'll get a chance to take care of that this week here in Jersey where there are still some fish around.

You going to M for the Cup this weekend ??
Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
LunkHead

Default Re: Pencil rod questions

Sudsy,
Thanks for the offer for the AFAW, I'd like to take you up on that.
I threw a G Loomis last night that might work as well, less $$$ than the Lami. I am looking for an all around rod, I don't mind giving up a bit of popping ability, to keep good swimmer throwing and fish fighting ability.

I can't make the Korker's Cup, scheduling problems, but I am leaving next Monday -Thursday for a little fishing vacation up at M. I read your recent report please try to do a little better next time

I'll see ya at the club meeting Thursday if you're going to be there, I'll catch up with ya then.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"