Maine Striper Fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 07-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Official Member

Default Maine Striper Fishing

I'm heading to Trenton Maine for a couple of weeks and would like to do some striper fishing while I'm there. I have no experience in Maine but have fished stripers in Delaware for 20+ years. I typically use a 7' rod and bait casting reel spooled with 40lb. braid. I use this setup off the jetties as well as walking the beach and casting into the suds.

I also have an 8' jetty rod and 10' surf rods which I only use on occasion.

I'd like to get a few tips about what equipment to take and a couple of spots to try while I'm in Maine.

Appreciate you sharing any info. with me.
Delman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Maine Striper Fishing

If your driving, along rt1 there are a few places you can fish on the way up to acadia. Once there schoodic point (may have spelled it wrong) has a cool spot along the road to fish. Its off rt1 you will see sign. Ten footer with plugs work but take a sabiki rig as macks come by and fresh bait may be the best shot at a bass with a mack head. May at least catch a bluefish. I wish i could live up there. I miss going up every year.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Official Member

Great advice....much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
I miss going up every year.
One of these days you'll get up here zim, one of these days!!!!

The fishing has been off the charts so far here in southern Maine, by far the best I've seen since moving up here 7 years ago. I have yet to land a cow but have taken a great number of fish in the low to mid 30" range, upwards of 12-15 lbs, maybe a couple even a little bigger. My buddy landed a 41" a couple weeks ago and at last count I think we had just over 100 fish landed between us so far. I'm not 100% sure what's happening north of Portland but I've seen/heard nothing but good things from rivers to beaches to the marshes and everything in between down my way for stripers and mackerel alike.

If you're coming through Maine and plan on hitting a few places on your way up, focus your attention more on southern waters to give yourself the best chance at catching fish in any sort of numbers. I'm not familiar with the Trenton area (other than it's up by Ellsworth) but I think the majority of your fish up there are gonna be in the rivers as opposed to the beach fronts, but someone from up that way could advise better.

There are several good fishing spots in/around the area that have been producing fish. Take a pit stop and drive through Kennebunk/Kennebunkport (exit 25 off the turnpike) heading the way of Cape Neddick. I was down that way for a wedding a couple months ago and my head was turning every 5 minutes passing by "fishy" spots. There are river systems that divide well-traveled roads that you could pull over and cast into with no effort. I didn't hit many beaches while I was there but the few I passed had some very fishy-looking rock jetties that just looked like they were holding fish. I haven't had a chance to fish down there but get off on rte 1 and just take a drive around, you'll se what I'm talking about.

Camp Ellis Jetty in Saco is another good place to fish for both bait and stripers.....bit of a tourist trap so hit it early morning or late afternoon/early evening to beat the crowd. You can jig up macks and live-line them under a balloon, day or night, for stripers and/or blues. Bring another set up with ya and fan cast a few spots on either side of the jetty. Work your way down the jetty but don't feel like ya have to go to the end, I think that thing is almost a mile long. The first 50 yards or so aren't bad then it starts getting a little dicey so be careful, especially if you're out there at night.

If you have more time to stop and fish at night, grab yourself some sand/blood worms or fresh macks and soak bait off the beach at night. Old Orchard Beach, Saco and Scarborough have already seen a great number of fish ranging in size from 12-14" upwards of 40" and larger. Don't overlook clams either, great bait ya just have to be religious about checking your bait and changing out every 15-20 minutes cause the crabs will chew ya off all night long. I float sandworms 2 at a time and have landed almost all my fish this way so far.

I hope some of this helps ya get into fish amigo. Report back and let us know how ya do after your trip.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Official Member

Super advice......Iím currently in Trenton/Bar Harbor area and will be moving a little further north to Harrington in a few days.
Unfortunately, wonít have a chance to fish south of here.
I'll check out the locals to see whatís going on in the area. Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Official Member

While your on the beaches, be sure to do some porgy fishing. Maine always has good runs of huge JUMBO porgies.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Official Member

Thanks....moving out of Harrington ME tomorrow.....heading to St Martins NB......caught some mackeral in the Harrington river while here......looking forward to doing some fishin' on the Cape (cod) on my return in early September.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Official Member

Any idea where I can find a decent tackle shop in Acadia national park or the surrounding area? I will be up there the last week of August and was hoping to find a couple of good surf spots.

Hunting for stripers.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Official Member

Didn't find any shops in the entire area.....Walmart in Ellsworth only had a limited amount of saltwater stuff.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Official Member

I can bring the gear, really wanted to pick someone's brain on any good spots this time of the year. I fish mostly with plugs, tins and bucktails. I read sgt drive along somes sound is a good spot. Not sure where else.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Official Member

Didn't fish there cause I ran out of time, but the locals say it's a very good spot.....use a mackeral live or plug colored.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

wish i could have come up this season. i miss coming up in september,