Boat recommendation for fishing around Boston - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Official Member

Default Boat recommendation for fishing around Boston

Guys! Just found this site. Very cool. I'm thinking about buying a boat to do some serious off-shore Striper fishing around Boston. Can anyone make a recommendation?

My constraints:
-the boat needs to fit in a standard car garage when trailered (length doesnt matter, just height)
-would be great to take it out to Stellwagen from Marshfield (so would be nice if it offered a comfortable ride over longer distances)
-needs to handle the weather if it gets windy/rainy so I can get back
-entry level pricing

I'm a serious amateur fisherman that wants to get out into the ocean. I will normally go out on good weather days, but in MA, one never knows. I still need to do a boat load of research (excuse the pun), but can someone recommend some boat names/models and point me in the right direction? I'm leading towards the Trophys, SeaSwirls, Sea Fox, Pro Line, Sailfish etc. I understand that some of these constraints are limiting (like where do I find a small enough boat that fits in a garage that can get me to Stellwagen......), but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Boat recommendation for fishing around Boston

boats are addiction...even more so if you are going off shore. no matter what you buy you are always gonna want a bigger one. get the biggest you can afford/afford to run. Id say if you want to go to stellwagon a min of 21' and you will have to pick days, 23' wont be much different, next class up is the 25-26' range. most all these on a trailer will be quite tall. For instance my 21' walkaround with a fishing/radar arch is about 13' tall on the trailer
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Advising someone on buying a boat is like advsing someone on finding a wife.. everyone wants something differant..some find "the one" and keep it forever.. otheres get bored in a year or two and suffer from wanderlust..( or just lust)...I've had the same boat for 32 years... and it's all I ever wanted...and more.

brand names like Grady white.. Aquasport...Parker...Crestliner ... Lund etc. all have their following...

sit down and write a list of what you want/need in a boat...figure out what you can afford and what you can afford to spend running and maintaining it... figure out how often you will be fishing alone or with others... decide where your primary use will be.. will you be running long distances or fast/dangerous inlets where max HP will be needed...or will you be spending time in sheltered bays where minimal power ( and fuel economy) are more important...if you have children look at boats with alot of free board ( high side keeps them INSIDE the boat).. write down everyting you can think of then go shopping..

good luck and tight lines
Roc
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Official Member

Thank you. These are all valuable points. I guess the place I need to start however, is with a boat that can fit in my garage (standard size I think, 8 feet tall, length is not an issue, still need to measure it exactly). The vast majority of off shore boats dont fit in a garage when trailered, so I'm trying to start looking at models that do. A skiff would fit, but wouldnt do well on the way to Stellwagen. So thats why, if anyone has a decent off shore boat parked in the garage, please let me know the make/model. TIA!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
swabbie

If height is an issue then you probably want to get a center console without a T top. If you want to go to the wagon two engines is a good idea. Or at the least make sure you have a good VHF with an antenna. I have a 20' Triumph CC and it works great for bass fishing the Boston area but there are very few days I want to take it to the wagon and I haven't ever done that. My friend has a 25' WA and we make it to the wagon on good or medium days.

A v hull would be a good idea for heading offshore but make sure your draft isn't too deep if you want to primarily fish inshore for bass in Boston. There are a lot of good spots close into rocks and islands and having minimal draft gives you an advantage. I wouldn't go semi v if you want to hit the wagon but it would be okay inshore.

Also, they make a folding t top - I've seen it advertised in fishing magazines. Not sure if it's high quality or not but you could probably google it. Good luck and have a blast - there's so many great spots and options in the Boston area once you get the hang of things.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Grasshoppah

you need to ditch the garage idea. No boat that would be capable will fit.
My last boat, a Boston Whaler Montauk 170 barely fit in the garage. The days you could go out deep with it were very rare. It puonded like hell out there and god help you if the weather turned bad.

Look into the cost of dry storage near the water. Where i am there are plenty of places to park your trailer for a reasonable fee. My new boat sits in the driveway with a cover, there is no way its fitting in the garage.

FYI- the montauk was a good boat for the bays, at first that was fine but we soon started pushing it and were fishing the mouth of the merrimack and out to the 3 mile line with it. Occasionally we would go 10-15 miles out in it. This was great for 10 years. Then one june as i headed back in from a drift of the river the conditions changed before our eyes and the boat could barely make headway....we capsized soon after. This was our second montauk a 170 with a 90hp motor, we all made it but we were lucky.

Buy a boat big enough to do what you want, dont try to get by with something smaller to fit it in the garage. I now have a 2012 sea hunt triton 225 with a 250 on it.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Official Member

Wow thanks guys. Great info. I'm going to do more research. I dont know much about fishing offshore and how far/deep the good spots are. Perhaps I should put my dreams of fishing tuna on the Wagon on hold and enjoy some good old Striper/Cod/Bluefish fishing. Would the 20' Triumph mentioned by OP be good enough for that? I mean, where are the best fishing spots off Marshfield / how far in? In the north river mouth, 5 miles out? Cause if I give up on the Wagon plans, then maybe I can get a decent boat that will fit in my garage that can get me out to some nice fishing grounds. TIA.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
First Mate

most any boat 20' and up, wa,cc,pilot house etc (as long as it isnt a bay boat) will make it to stellwagon, you will have to pick your days tho.
my current boat is a fish hawk 213wa (same as a hydra sport 212wa) with a 150hp. i've been to jefferies 6 times this year so far no issues, altho saturday half way out the waves grew from predicted 2-4 to 4-6 about 3/4 the way there.....made for a slow bumpy ride rest the way.
heres mine not huge but it does it all for me anything from drifting the flats to 25 miles offshore