2 1/2 hour home made paint booth - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 PM
chiefmurph

Default 2 1/2 hour home made paint booth

Whipped this together in about 2 1/2 hours this morning. Still needs a little work but the duct tape worked pretty good and its actually very stable.
The 90 degree pieces of wood (have to cut more) to the left are what I'll be using to glue on later around each side of the booth with gorilla glue. Gotta love duct tape and gorilla glue!
Looking for explosion proof fans for it. My uncle pointed me towards defender industries for yellow tail in-line blowers. About 25 bucks each. So far the cheapest but I'll keep looking a little bit more.
Almost in business to seal and paint. I'm thinking by the time i crank a lure out it'll be worth $68,873.87 bucks!
Adios,
chiefmurph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100-0002_IMG_2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	12574   Click image for larger version

Name:	100-0003_IMG_2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	12575  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 2 1/2 hour home made paint booth

search ebay.DAYTON 4WT42A 120V AXIAL FAN...seen these used on other guys spray booth
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 AM
First Mate

An explosion proof/resistant fan is not needed unless you are spraying solvent-based stain and finish. If you are using lacquer rattle cans then yes you need to be carefull. If I decide to build a booth I will use a belt driven fan in window or wall with duct to it and filters at booth. If you are airbrushing acrylics/createx, these are water based and not flamable. Heck I airbrush my plugs in my living room using a bent piece of cardboard.

There is no such thing as “Explosion Proof” either in exhaust fans, blowers or motors. Fans can be manufactured to be “Spark and/or Explosion Resistant
Type A construction requires that all materials of the fan or blower that are “in contact with the air stream” be made of spark resistant nonferrous material such as aluminum or brass. Type B construction requires a nonferrous wheel and a rubbing ring around the hole where the fan or motor shaft enters the fan or blower housing. Type C construction requires a nonferrous plate on both sides of the inside of the fan or blower housing. The type of construction you require is dependant on the ambient location and/or application severity your fan will be subjected to. You need to be very careful in selecting which type of spark resistant construction you require and specify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 AM
First Mate

Now I'm also building a small spinner as it's too darn cold to be in the shop. With the small spinner I can finish plugs inside. Next year everything will be moved to basement where it is easier to heat. The basement is too wet right now
Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
chiefmurph

Thanks Robaloman and Jerseystriper,
I am using fairly stable chems...etex and water based acylic for now. I may in the future use other types of paints and solvents and that's what I'm putting this together for.
My oil burner is down in my basement and it's fairly enclosed. I just want to get any/all fumes vented out of the basement safely. But
I don't want to turn this into a huge expensive construction project. I'll go back to the garage come spring when things warm up a to the point where it's a bit more comfortable.
This is a great forum but sometimes it gets overwelming with the amount of info we have available to us. I try to sift through it and use what works or makes sense to me.
Thanks guys,
Cheers
Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
First Mate

To be honest I'm using the same paints and finish right now. I do it inside and my wife, who complains about all smells hardly ever notices. If you want to vent that booth and your using acrylics then even a couple pc fans will do. If you want to do a larger area then a bathroom type exhaust fan will work also. Only smells that her or I ever notice is the ones from 60/40 blo/ms when or if I use it.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 PM

I tried the small axial fans but they suck, sorry for the pun. I ended up ebaying a 450 cfm squirrel cage blower 'yeah baby' ! made a wooden frame to hold a chicken wire screen over a large space between the screen and the blower for max extraction...about 30w x 26h i bought some spray booth filters with 2 stage filtration fiberglass...
sucks as it blows ..reminds me of an old girlfriend so I call it Juliet

I tried the little fans but they get crapped up real quick they dont have the best flow angles and build up residue ...adding to the worsening flow rate...making the now clean booth covered in overspray instead of the screen/filter

the blowers arent cheap, mine was $50, but it will pull over-spray into the filter and out through a 8"x 16ft flex tube [ebay]...I had to make a square to round conversion tube out of a large coffee container...took no time....
Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
First Mate

One other thing I had forget to post above is to keep a handle on the dust from turning, cutting and sanding. A buildup in certain/wrong areas can cause some big problems. Many folks overlook dust extraction and the need for proper filtration, not only removal to the tool but also an overhead unit is reccomended. The duct work should also be antistatic or grounded as a dust bag with a spark can cause a nastey explosion. Both of these are things not to be taken lightly or cheaply
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

So Flicking hot ash from your smoke into the dust collector is probably a bad idea too huh?

Nice looking booth jersey
Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
So Flicking hot ash from your smoke into the dust collector is probably a bad idea too huh?

Nice looking booth jersey
Wood dust is also a combustable dust.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I know. That was a joke. Dust is highly combustible particularly around vapor and high voltage.