i lost my biggest fish this year tonight - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Re: i lost my biggest fish this year tonight

You can always use a hand gaff to lip it without killing it, Or reach for it with a boga.
We've all been there done that several times. Once I had a buddy grab the leader for me and the bunker noggin popped right out of its stomach. Big brushy tail flipped me the bird and swam off. I laughed, (a little) my buddy thought he did something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Cow Catcher

This fish here is 40lbs Landed on a rock in a boulder field. No Gaff, No net Weighed her Snapped a picture a released her so She could make some babies and have a greater future for the striped bass. I do eat fish also not saying I dont take one home once and a while but I personally like the 30inch fish they taste much better and plenty of meat.Don't eat to much striped bass you will get mercury poisioning.I would only get a fish mounted if it was a potential world record but thats me, I Have a friend that practices mostly catch and release recently he released a potential world record and I shook his hand for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	11932  
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
You can always use a hand gaff to lip it without killing it, Or reach for it with a boga.
This is also True but most people don't gaff fish this way. They get crazy with a gaff in there hands. I've seen people able to grab a fish with there hands and still put a hole through it. But I told them how I felt.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Official Member

what # test line & leader were U using.Eeling, I have been using 17# test line with a 25 # leader & a friend claims I am setting myself up for losing "the big one". should I beef up my gear for the fall run?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

I am sorry to hear about the loss. I'm surprised no one asked what pound leader you were using. The reasons for not using a gaff are pretty simple, in CT hand gaff's are illegal I was pretty sure that Mass. was the same. You should never gaff a fish unless you know your going to keep it. You might end up gaffing and killing a short fish, which in turn if caught by DEM will certainly kill your trip. Sure bring a net if you really need the reassurance but like Doublerunner and The Point mentioned keep the rod tip high and plan a landing zone.

Personally I wear waders even if I fish the canal and don't plan on wading...why you may ask...because when I hook a decent fish I am in the water for the landing. Once the fish isn't green get in the water and coast the fish towards you, grab the long leader you put on (cause The Point told you too) and then grab Ms. Bass by the mouth (make sure you get a good lip the first time, otherwise your likely to face another run)

Now get back out there!

Thas a nice 40#er pictured....maybe I need to adjust my numbers seems that all my 25# fish just hit the 40 mark!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Cow Catcher

The fish was weighed and released w/ BackbayJ.True weight was 39. It was a skinny fish that should have weighed more. Besides the point....
As for test. 50 braid, 30-50lb flouro leader. Where I Fish it is very rocky So 50 is almost a must.
Should I post another 40 so you can compare them Jon?????????
Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
I am sorry to hear about the loss. I'm surprised no one asked what pound leader you were using. The reasons for not using a gaff are pretty simple, in CT hand gaff's are illegal I was pretty sure that Mass. was the same. You should never gaff a fish unless you know your going to keep it. You might end up gaffing and killing a short fish, which in turn if caught by DEM will certainly kill your trip. Sure bring a net if you really need the reassurance but like Doublerunner and The Point mentioned keep the rod tip high and plan a landing zone.

Personally I wear waders even if I fish the canal and don't plan on wading...why you may ask...because when I hook a decent fish I am in the water for the landing. Once the fish isn't green get in the water and coast the fish towards you, grab the long leader you put on (cause The Point told you too) and then grab Ms. Bass by the mouth (make sure you get a good lip the first time, otherwise your likely to face another run)

Now get back out there!

Thas a nice 40#er pictured....maybe I need to adjust my numbers seems that all my 25# fish just hit the 40 mark!
that is a nice fish in the pic the one i lost was about the same size

it used #50 mono

i swicthed to #50 flouro as of yesterday

i would never gaff a short fish

i'm still a novice and never pretend to know it all , but i have been fishing for about 20 years and i can usually tell when a fish is short as soon as i hook up, especially with eels.

ive gotta get myself some waders , my buddy keeps reminding me everyday , i should be in the water with the fish
Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point View Post
The fish was weighed and released w/ BackbayJ.True weight was 39. It was a skinny fish that should have weighed more. Besides the point....
As for test. 50 braid, 30-50lb flouro leader. Where I Fish it is very rocky So 50 is almost a must.
Should I post another 40 so you can compare them Jon?????????
Na man I just had to bust a bit cause I caught a skinny 40 like that and got my ribbed a bit for it please don't take it personal we all know you catch cows (especially if I am sleeping 40 yards away). Back on track 50# floro like you said is the way to go...

You would be surprised sometimes....there have been a few occasions specifically the night before last on eels where the bass felt like 26-30" fish when they took but upon further inspection I was wrong. Its always good to match your gear to the expectation of a 50# fish! Keep that drag locked and don't use crazy alberto's (the braid will cut through the 50# floro on a big fish, use a spro instead.)
Old 10-01-2009, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Just also be glad you got out to fish. I have been trying to get out the last 2 or 3 weeks(maybe more) and it always seems something comes up. First family things, this the flu making it;s rounds through the family and reaking havoc on me right now. I can handle it but it was when my 3 yr old daughter had a temp or 104+ for 3 days that really got to me. To feel so bad for someone and you can hardly do a thing.
Well I hope I'm done with this thing as the fall season should just be starting up done here. It does suck to loss a pig but if you keep fishing you will lose many more and maybe catch many more. Just be happy that the fighing is good. I remember around 15 to 20 yrs ago I was happy to catch any bass period. There was a slot limit then but it did not matter as I released everything then even though I love to eat striped bass.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

35 years ago i was never catching any slot bass. all of em were cows. i learned to fish with dacron from one of the best fisherman i have to this day ever witnessed. equivalent to braid now but then it was overkill to everyone. but from the bulkheads and docks and piers we fished from, we pulled some nice fish. jim and i fish that area now and again and it is not like the old days. so much has changed. but coming out of the hudson in the fall after what i call a fond farewell till next year///// are the ones we look forward to as it seems the majority take the highway straight down from LI to sandy hook and all points south. to this day i use an 80# leader in those areas and 65# braid in these areas with rocks/pilings/barges, and would never see the likes of any sane person fishing it? a gaff would be a must just to land her. a gaff in some of these places is a must. i fell once landing a great fish as it is dangerous there. my knee hurt for 2 years. these days i'm not so haphazard but i have seen and done some of the stupidest chit fishing so yea, always prepare for an area you fish in with adequate materials, oh, btw, i lost that fish as i couldn't get her and it was a behemoth... so we carry those ghosts around forever. that bitch caused me pain for a long time.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Striper Hunter

well theres still 2-3 weeks of good fishing left
and i know i still got a good shot at pulling in a trophy
especially with eels.

from now on when i fish the rocks i have my planned landing zone ,and ive got my path to get down there pre planned with my gaff on my belt
Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

Well depending on your desire to travel you could have till December. I hope you get that trophy. I wouldn't mind one myself. Got one July 5th now lets see what can get pulled up for the fall!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Striper Hunter

somethings gonna happen this weekend i got a good feeling , the bigger fish are definately here i got 3 this
week just under 20
i just want my first 30 before the year ends