I've been making my own one bearing level winds - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: I've been making my own one bearing level winds

Jimmy, I think one of the nice things about ABU's is the upgrade / rebuild feature.

Friend of mine bought a Blue Yonder about 4 yrs ago. Saw me using Abus and just had to have one.
Well, he mounted it to a rod, tried it maybe twice, and declaired "Foul!"
Said I was nuts! Them things ain't worth shitz. I'll stay with my spinners.

Sat on his open porch, year round until 3 weeks ago.
Asked him what he was going to do with it?
....... he said, "Here, you like'em so much take the damned thing."
... and I did.
Dusty and dirty, but cleaned up nicely.

I've only got like 9 of the things. What I'll ever do with many is beyond me. The most I ever drag along is maybe 3.
But they're so darn cute!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM View Post
Jimmy, I think one of the nice things about ABU's is the upgrade / rebuild feature.

Friend of mine bought a Blue Yonder about 4 yrs ago. Saw me using Abus and just had to have one.
Well, he mounted it to a rod, tried it maybe twice, and declaired "Foul!"
Said I was nuts! Them things ain't worth shitz. I'll stay with my spinners.

Sat on his open porch, year round until 3 weeks ago.
Asked him what he was going to do with it?
....... he said, "Here, you like'em so much take the damned thing."
... and I did.
Dusty and dirty, but cleaned up nicely.

I've only got like 9 of the things. What I'll ever do with many is beyond me. The most I ever drag along is maybe 3.
But they're so darn cute!!!!
I agree, the rebuild kits are worth buying. I have bought many over the years.
I just don't buy the kits anymore, I do my own upgrades, and usually on the reels I build from the frame up. Either way, whatever works for the individual.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 AM
First Mate

My post was not to put down what you are doing, it was to get more info on it. What bearing , how much and such. I have several friends that also want some mods and I was wondering how much it is going to cost. I have search all over the net and I just cant seem to touch a real good bearing for decent money. Trust me I have looked at this both ways, and looked at trying to add the second bearing my self as my reel is like brand new and don't care to replace the worm if not needed. Trust me when I say I am at tinkerer at heart and have made more crap and good things than I could ever list. I love your idea as on Ebay they charge $35 for a worm, bearing and line guide. If it was not for having the second bearing I would never buy the kit.
I just was also wondering what grade bearings you use or where you get them, I have check with VXB?, rocket, Boca and several others. Also when I take the time to brake my reel down I want to do everything-drag, spool/shaft bearings, and worm bearings. I dont want to do things more than once if not needed. It also and I cant figure it out cost me more to buy bearings from Boca or VXB in bulk than alone frome Mike's Reel and Mike's is a better grade ABEC 7 vs ABEC 5. I wont spend my money or time on an unreated bearing
Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I had a BLAST!

My friend, I buy the bearings ten at a clip, because, even though they are the same type, they don't all spin for the same length of time. I spin each one individually, on the point of a pencil. And the ones that spin equally, get matched and used in the same reel.
Try Gilbert's paylake for kits, and parts. I peruse Ebay for parts. Dad's Old Tackle is good for Abu parts, and has decent prices as well. He has a store on Ebay.
And Ohio Paylake, on Ebay, has inexpensive parts.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
First Mate

Ah ha I see now, I should have known as in the industry I work in we do call a sleeve of 10 a clip. I have looked on Ebay at Dad's, but aren't they mostly stock parts? I had noticed them as they have old drag washers by the old part #. I like to try and stay with rated bearings as they tend to be pretty consistant, ABEC stands for Annular Bearing Engineering Committee and they set the standards for rated bearings and also give rated bearings their rating #. As you may know recent stock Abu's are sold with ABEC3 bearings. I have bought some Boca ABEC5 SS and they are pretty good and I have bought some ceramic and SS ABEC7 from Mike's Reel Repair and they are dead nuts even. I have compared these to some I got through a supplier I deal with and they were way better.
You can get ABEC7's from Mikes either by a pair or by a clip of 10. Pair of SS $9.95 and a clip $25.00. For the ceramic pair $19.95 and $55.00 for a clip. Shipping may take a couple weeks as they are in Canada, they also sell some stuff on Ebay now and then. For an equal item I can not beat their prices. They also sell drag kits(smooth drag), worms(as mentioned), handles and most stock parts. They also sell Shimano and Penn parts. Check them out if you have not I have also been watching Ebay every now and then.

Big question is really-I was wondering how much the mod your doing adds to casting length. Thank you for your input
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Actually, I recieve from Mike's in 3-4 days usually. Surprising indeed.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 AM
First Mate

I have ordered 3 times from them and all have been under 2 weeks. Two of the times is was about a week or abit less. There shipping prices are as good as there parts pricing also. I have heard of some folks waiting upto or more than 2 weeks. I suppose if the parts are held up in customs then there could be a delay. I compared their prices to a few other folks and they have much better pricing. Don't be hindered if you don't see something on there site as I have called them and we worked out what parts were needed. About the only time I don't use them is if I'm just ordering drag washers, then I order from Smooth Drag
Old 06-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I had a BLAST!

For bearings, I buy from Boca, and VBX. I think they will both have what you need.