2018 STRIPER REPORTs - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

I had equal bites on sands and bloods saturday in newburgh. they were so aggressive i think they would have bitten a dorito on a hook.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Official Member

Yeah im from the albany area and all we use is herring, ive been making the trek to newburg every weekend ( last 3) and its been a challenge for me to hook up. Getting my bloods at river basin in catskill. Using a 7/0 circle 2-4 oz on slider with a 4' flouro leader. Basically same setup i use up here but with worms Seems i have to stick 2 worms on to cover the hook they seem small compared to what ive seen on line. I was changing bait every hr too. Spent half day Saturday in Newburgh half in marlboro right with the pack of boats in each place and not even a bite ugghh. Makes for a long day. Im die hard and will be back down there friday and sat. I know the devil is in the details just hoping someone can point out that detail i seem to be missing
Old 05-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Keelhauler

Put in another 6 hours this am. Bait was still very easy to scap. Ended with a bunch of cats, 3' eel, 29" on chunk and a 30" on live. I shouldn't complain since I put fish in the boat, but man it's slow out there.

All time best: 42"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrikain View Post
Yeah im from the albany area and all we use is herring, ive been making the trek to newburg every weekend ( last 3) and its been a challenge for me to hook up. Getting my bloods at river basin in catskill. Using a 7/0 circle 2-4 oz on slider with a 4' flouro leader. Basically same setup i use up here but with worms Seems i have to stick 2 worms on to cover the hook they seem small compared to what ive seen on line. I was changing bait every hr too. Spent half day Saturday in Newburgh half in marlboro right with the pack of boats in each place and not even a bite ugghh. Makes for a long day. Im die hard and will be back down there friday and sat. I know the devil is in the details just hoping someone can point out that detail i seem to be missing
I know sometimes it isn't anything you're doing wrong, it's just bad luck. But I almost never get completely skunked if I put in more than 4-5 hrs. Some things you might try.

Vary depth of your bait anywhere from 12-20'. I have 2 hooks on each rod separated by about 2'. Try different water depths. Don't assume that because you're close in with other boats that it's a good place to be. Use your finder, move around.

I also tried hanging a silver flasher with a read bead above my hook on one rod. It was getting more hits than just plain hooks on the other rod.

It also sounds like you got a bad batch of bloods. You should never need 2 to cover a hook. Good bloods look like small snakes. Sometimes if I'm stuck with nothing but tiny blood worms I'll add a crawler to the hook.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Bronco220\ View Post
Hey everyone, Iím new to the forum. Also new to boat fishing for stripers, rookie. Fished off shore for 30 some years. Iíve been fishing the hell out of Haverstraw/Croton area since April 1st with all other boats out. This past Saturday it was like a ghost town. Looking for a little advice. Is continuing to fish this area a waste of time at this point or can it still be good? Should I move north some? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,92
You arent alone, I fished the Croton area this weekend as did a few of my buddies. Lots of hours fished with no results, not even a run. I dont think it's a waste of time, I dont think the run has really hit high gear yet. my theory is the bigger fish are holed up south of the tappan zee waiting for the water to get a little saltier. The guy I get my bait from hasnt really gotten any bunker in his nets, and his bycatch of stripers is basically non-existent (which is a good thing, but means the fish arent really in thick yet). The big cows always follow the bunker upriver. A few days of no rain will hopefully allow the salt water to push further north and the big fish should follow
Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Fished Albany 8-2, herring were slow, but consistent. Only 2 runs, landed 1 -28" on live herring in 25ft. No one i saw tearing it up. Water 57. Finder marked a bunch of fish, plenty of boats out.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXK883 View Post
I've thought the same thing many times...although listening to him and some of the other hardcore guys on the radio have led me to believe I need to seriously upgrade my fishfinder. I hear them talking about seeing schools of fish, individual fish, how big they look, which side of the boat they are on, which direction they are moving, etc.....I look at mine and all I see are freaking arcs....

Doc - ever think of making a training video of how you decipher what you're seeing on your fish-finders and putting it on YouTube or something? I think that would be real informative....I've been listening to you guys taking on the radio for the past couple years and am dying to know what you are looking at and how you make sense of it. I have looked on YouTube for info like this, and really didn't find much. Mostly promo vids from the manufacturers that just cover the basics. Just a thought....
Yes...good electronics are huge in finding the fish...when i upgraded i went from 30 fish seasons to 500. I use a humminbird onix with side scan that allows me to see fish 250 feet to either side if the boat and how the signal moves from the side scan to down imaging tells me what direction they are moving. I also run 3 units so i can monitor side and down imaging as well as sonar. I am also on the river 5-6 days at a time through the nights and have learned how the schools move and act and where they will be......come morning when the bute turns on i am there in the right spot.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrikain View Post
I also found that bunching the worm on a 5-0 hook woeks way better than letting it dangle. Generally the strike zone for Newburgh is to run your sinker at 15-18 ft down......that's where they feed. You won't do nearly as well running deeper or on the bottom. We also change bait every 15 minutes or so when the worms are waterlogged. Monitor channel 68 when you are down there too.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Official Member

Question Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbadger View Post
Fished Wappingers area Friday 5/4 from noon-7pm. Landed four, biggest was 24". Fished Marlboro area on Sunday 5/6 from 1-4pm, landed another 4 this time biggest was only 20".
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1persn1per View Post
You arent alone, I fished the Croton area this weekend as did a few of my buddies. Lots of hours fished with no results, not even a run. I dont think it's a waste of time, I dont think the run has really hit high gear yet. my theory is the bigger fish are holed up south of the tappan zee waiting for the water to get a little saltier. The guy I get my bait from hasnt really gotten any bunker in his nets, and his bycatch of stripers is basically non-existent (which is a good thing, but means the fish arent really in thick yet). The big cows always follow the bunker upriver. A few days of no rain will hopefully allow the salt water to push further north and the big fish should follow
Thanks, for the advice. I will be out there Thursday and Saturday. Should I fish the flats or edge of channel? And I have one more Rookie question. How big should I cut the chunk bait?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:05 AM
Striper Hunter

Fished 6 - 10 PM from the tracks in Highland. One run but was dropped. Herring are abundant and were scapped with no effort yet my friend up in Kingston couldn't get a single herring this evening and no runs on chunk. Back at it in the morning.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Striper Hunter

Fished Friday Saturday and Sunday . Out of Kingston area . Friday was tough with the wind . Didn't get anything . Fished first thing Saturday morning with good results boated 14 fish on the outgoing tide all on chunk. Back in for bait during the incoming. Headed back out for the second outgoing in the late evening and fished til about an hour after dark only fed the catfish. Back out early Sunday morning. Boated 6 more fish all smaller schoolies. Fished 5 rods with chunk and one rod with bloodworms on Sunday picked up two small fish on the bloods ... fished off anchor all weekend and fished mainly shallow flats less than 10' of water. Biggest fish was 33" out of 20 fish for the weekend . Headed back up for this Friday Saturday and Sunday, fishing out of roundout. Wondering if fishing live herring would help pick up some larger striper or if the pigs just haven't arrived yet
Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Bronco220\ View Post
Thanks, for the advice. I will be out there Thursday and Saturday. Should I fish the flats or edge of channel? And I have one more Rookie question. How big should I cut the chunk bait?
Get bloodworms if possible....you won't do well in the Marlboro area with herring chunks. They work early in the run for the striper passing through on their way north but the next round tends not to like herring that much.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 AM
Senior Member Elite

Just put in another full day from 7am to 10pm in Marlboro and ended up with 35. The morning bite was great till about 10am on the Ebb tide then it slowed till around 6pm. The Flood tide was tough as there was no north drift due to the volume of water coming down the river which canceled out the incoming tide.....basically 3 hours of spinning with a nasty northern cold wind. The end of the Flood into Ebb tide again was great in front of the Rock Plant. Most of our fish were in the 20-33 inch range. Water temp was 53-55 degrees. Today we finally marked a thick school traveling north but they wanted nothing to do with feeding. We also started catching more striper from the Delaware/Chesapeake strain. A few more days for the masses to arrive and it will explode down there. We saw some spawning this evening in front of the Rock Plant. Unfortunately these eggs will not survive the cold river temps but every year there are a few early spawners this time. The males were spewing like crazy. Work tomorrow then back out for 13 straight days of fishing.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:24 AM
Senior Member Elite

Some pics from today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-07-18    Striper (1) - Me-32.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	33914   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-07-18    Striper (2) - Me-30.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	33922   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-07-18    Striper (3) - Me-33.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	33930   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-07-18    Striper (4) - Joe-29.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	33938   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-07-18    Striper (6) - Me-28.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	33946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	05-07-18    Striper (9)-River S.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	33954   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-07-18    Striper (11)-Joe-Sam.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	33962  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Striper Hunter

Went out Saturday. Have never seen so many boats in front of Trap Rock, (rock plant) that you are referring to. We ended up floating live herring and bloods from the Diamond point reef buoy south. Missed the Ebb tide and I think that killed us. No bites. Went North and fished just south of Norrie Point but only managed one at 19" Two other drops but nothing of size.

Frustrating. Back out this Saturday and all next week Took the week off.

Doc, thanks for the posts and all the tips you give Really helps.

Do you ever float your live herring and bloods or are you anchored?

Thanks again
Closed Thread