2018 STRIPER REPORTs - Page 18 - Stripers247.com Forums
 
Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #256  
Old 05-30-2018, 02:21 PM
StriperG StriperG is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Highland, NY
Posts: 74
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Well I fished this morning 5-9, I did manage to get a herring right off the bat and had it out the whole time and not a run on it. No other herring and two white cats on chunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #257  
Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 PM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Put another day in and I went solo for most of the day. Ran down last night to fix the thermostat cover and change the plugs. While i was working on the boat from 2-4 am they were spawning all around my marina. Got out at 5am and picked up a few immediately then ran down to Cornwall and picked up 2 more. I settled in front of my marina (West Shore) for the last few hours and picked away at em. I ended up with 8 for the day which would have been more but I lost several trying to reach for the net....got smart and put it in reaching distance afterwards. Size today was 15-30". All along the west shore into the channel the floor was thick with Striper but the deeper ones had no interest in eating. I picked a spot and literally stayed there for 4 hours as the wind countered the ebb tide. Water temp was 67.3. No doubt they are heading out fast but there are plenty up north that have to come down through Marlboro and Newburgh. Working tomorrow then out again Fri to Sun.............then the depressing part..........pull the boat.
__________________
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
2018 = 934/53" (Hudson 760/41")
  #258  
Old 05-31-2018, 12:13 PM
OLNAD OLNAD is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: hudson valley
Posts: 3
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
Put another day in and I went solo for most of the day. Ran down last night to fix the thermostat cover and change the plugs. While i was working on the boat from 2-4 am they were spawning all around my marina. Got out at 5am and picked up a few immediately then ran down to Cornwall and picked up 2 more. I settled in front of my marina (West Shore) for the last few hours and picked away at em. I ended up with 8 for the day which would have been more but I lost several trying to reach for the net....got smart and put it in reaching distance afterwards. Size today was 15-30". All along the west shore into the channel the floor was thick with Striper but the deeper ones had no interest in eating. I picked a spot and literally stayed there for 4 hours as the wind countered the ebb tide. Water temp was 67.3. No doubt they are heading out fast but there are plenty up north that have to come down through Marlboro and Newburgh. Working tomorrow then out again Fri to Sun.............then the depressing part..........pull the boat.
You've had an awesome season tho Doc...Along with the rest of the crew in the area. There's always next year or following them out to the ocean! Good luck out there this weekend. I'll most likely make my last stand by IBM Sat depending on weather. Need one last fish to close the season. Good luck out there fellow anglers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #259  
Old 05-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNAD View Post
You've had an awesome season tho Doc...Along with the rest of the crew in the area. There's always next year or following them out to the ocean! Good luck out there this weekend. I'll most likely make my last stand by IBM Sat depending on weather. Need one last fish to close the season. Good luck out there fellow anglers!
Your best bet is to drift the west side across from IBM or the west side across from Trap Rock. If you really want another one.........hit the West wall down in Cornwall just before and after slack tide.
__________________
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
2018 = 934/53" (Hudson 760/41")
  #260  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 PM
Jono916's Avatar
Jono916 Jono916 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washingtonville, NY
Posts: 13
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Fished out of Newburgh this afternoon from 3:00 until 6:30 on my friend's boat. We were using some of the best bloodworms I've seen in a while. We ended up with about three to four bites and no fish for the entire afternoon. We fished down around Bannerman, and then north of the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge (Hamilton Fish Bridge), and while we marked tons of fish from 9 feet down to 30 feet, none of them wanted an easy worm dinner.
I don't think the season is over, but fishing on the Hudson is over for me this year. Thanks for all the great reports this year. Best wishes to you all.
  #261  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:51 PM
StriperG StriperG is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Highland, NY
Posts: 74
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Tried for herring in Highland from 4-5:30 AM with nothing and fished chunk until 7:30 with one white cat. Calling it quits for this season, best wishes to everyone and may next season be even more prosperous than this one.
  #262  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:25 PM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Today was a tough day....marked lots of fish from Marlboro to Cornwall on the west side but only ended up with 2....a 14" bait steeler across from Trap Rock and. 28" screamer down in Cornwall. Around 5pm before I had to dock to run back up to Albany to grab my buddy bigger fish began to move in as well as a thick school that made my depth finder read 30' in 70 fow. My other buddy in the Lighthouse express stayed out and saw massive spawning at the power plant, east side. Mr. Buoy also witnessed spawning down in Cornwall. The fish from up north are moving in so this was just a short lull and its not over yet. Waiting for these thunder storms to blow over and we will be back out to target these guys as they will certainly feed after spawning for their trip south.
__________________
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
2018 = 934/53" (Hudson 760/41")
  #263  
Old 06-02-2018, 06:27 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

We Smashed em at The Dam last night , saw a 28lb and a 22 lb, Lots of smaller fish 5-10 lbs. There are lots of fish still around.
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
  #264  
Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 AM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Another tough day......marked fish but no hookuos for us. My buddy next to us got a quick 34 and 39" first thing in the morning when it was calm. Then the wind kicked up and when the tide switched it was miserable. We tried to find some calm areas to fish but they still wouldnt bite......they just dont feed when its windy. We will be back out in a few hours for the morning when its calm then pulling the boat to get ready for salt. There are still plenty of fish to come down and if you park yourself in the right area you will be rewarded.
__________________
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
2018 = 934/53" (Hudson 760/41")
  #265  
Old 06-03-2018, 02:13 AM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
Another tough day......marked fish but no hookuos for us. My buddy next to us got a quick 34 and 39" first thing in the morning when it was calm. Then the wind kicked up and when the tide switched it was miserable. We tried to find some calm areas to fish but they still wouldnt bite......they just dont feed when its windy. We will be back out in a few hours for the morning when its calm then pulling the boat to get ready for salt. There are still plenty of fish to come down and if you park yourself in the right area you will be rewarded.
Hey Doc, just saw your photo and write up in the "On The Water" fishing reports for The Striper Cup, Angler of the Year !! and on Instagram , Yeww !! Way to go Doc , Yer Killin it !!!
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
  #266  
Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyshhTrap View Post
Hey Doc, just saw your photo and write up in the "On The Water" fishing reports for The Striper Cup, Angler of the Year !! and on Instagram , Yeww !! Way to go Doc , Yer Killin it !!!
Thanks. We put the time in and it paid off.
__________________
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
2018 = 934/53" (Hudson 760/41")
  #267  
Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Well.....we tried to get em yesterday but despite there being good steady marks they just would not bite. We fished from Milton to Newburgh bay and they wanted nothing to do with blood worms. I think the stripers that chase the herring north have their mindset on feeding on herring alone and really have no interest in bloodworms......this would explain it. Next year I'm gonna try herring late season when this happens. Water temp yesterday was 68.

We had a successful season breaking our last year's record of 509 with a total this year of 761. We also caught much bigger fish this year....many in the 35-39 inch range but only one over 40". We also had the opportunity to bring many new people fishing and have them experience this run. I thank everyone that helped us be so successful this season...Ceely's Bait for keeping us supplied and our network on the water which helps us cover a lot of ground......Keeping it Reel Sport Fishing, Mr. Buoy, Wingnut, POW, Lighthouse Express, Iceman, Paddycakes, New Hamburg Donny and Craig.... I hope I got everyone.

I've learned quite a bit too about how these guys act and this year showed how water temps truly drive the run. What started out as a cold year with the water temps 7 degrees below normal slowed the runs arrival..............somehow May ended up being one of the warmest on record (don't know how because I froze my ass off more times than not) ended up with temps about 4 degrees higher. The river warmed up pretty quickly and sparked the spawning but the quick warm up also pushed them back out......they obviously do not like the warm water temps/rapid increase and tend not to hang around like they did last year with a slower change.

Now it's time to switch to the big boys in the Salt..........the Hudson boat is pulled and we are scrambling to get the motors done on the Salt boat. I will continue to post pics of our progress for Knot on Call Fishing.
__________________
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
2018 = 934/53" (Hudson 760/41")
  #268  
Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Wingnutt92's Avatar
Wingnutt92 Wingnutt92 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany
Posts: 43
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyshhTrap View Post
We Smashed em at The Dam last night , saw a 28lb and a 22 lb, Lots of smaller fish 5-10 lbs. There are lots of fish still around.
Hows the action been this year at the dam? I've been down a few times but haven't seen anyone catching. Figured it'd be over by now with how slow the boards have been.
  #269  
Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Just got word that a 58 lb Striper was caught under the Newburgh Bridge this week.
__________________
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
2018 = 934/53" (Hudson 760/41")
  #270  
Old 06-08-2018, 10:30 AM
fattony325's Avatar
fattony325 fattony325 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Newburgh, NY
Posts: 22
Default Re: 2018 STRIPER REPORTs

Here's a link to the article. It refers to the fish being caught last month. I wonder what the date was exactly?

http://wpdh.com/hudson-valley-man-ca...etter_13468537
__________________
Golf is for people who can't catch fish
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
2018, reports, striper

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 STRIPER REPORTs bassinbrian Hudson River 504 03-02-2017 12:14 AM
Lake Lanier Striper Reports CaptainMorgan! Georgia Stripers 0 03-13-2011 09:44 PM
Cape Fear tourney raises striper issues Striperjim Carolina Coast - Hatteras - OBX 2 01-07-2011 01:14 AM
FLW striper tournaments info BC The Striper Forum 3 06-20-2010 09:22 AM
striper reports in barnegat bay jbird1008 New Jersey 0 04-29-2005 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com