new to striper fishing... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:53 PM

Default new to striper fishing...

hello everyone,
id like to start off by saying what a great site i've come across. very helpful and interesting. i just started striper fishing a couple weeks ago. id say i went fishing about 10 times and caught nothing. i fish from the surf or jetti and use bunker chunks or clams. i use a size 7 hook with a few feet 50lb leader and a weight slider. so far, only little fish nibble away my clam and bunker. ive been told that right now is the dead season until september. does anyone have any suggestions for different setups for surf and jetti fishing? how do these stripers bite?what shold i expect?any info is greatly appreciated. keep up the great site.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 12:40 PM

Hey mike,

first and foremost... Welcome to the site my friend. 2nd, i've never had a downtime during the season. try this for surfcasting and jetty fishing. get rid of the 50lb test leader. 86 the weight slider. you can always go back to these rigs but for now, tie the sinker to the end of your line, tie a snap swivel above it so that when you attach your hook to it, it hangs about 4-6 inches from you sinker. me i'm a clambelly fisherman. cast it in and wait.....as you get more experienced, you'll start to recognize the different bite patterns of the different fish attacking your bait. your not looking for a bite really but rather a pull. i've lost alot of bait waiting for the "perfect" pull. you'll know it when a striper has your bait, she'll be trying to swim away with it, not eating it where it sits. set the hook good and never give her slack, she'll shake loose in a second. where are you doing most of your fishing?

hope this helps a little.
craig aka briggs

aka surfcastermaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Old 07-18-2004, 01:55 PM

craig,
i will try what you suggest...perhaps tonight. im fishing in the long branch, nj area. i fish right next to a jetty(maybe 10-20ft to the left of it...north side)and sometimes ill be on the jetty casting in the same direction(northward). if im on the beach or the jetty, how far out should i cast? also...you said to tie the sinker to the end of my line and tie a snap swivel above it...do i put the hook directly on the snap swivel or have a 4-6 inch leader to the hook? perhaps im not understanding you correctly. what im picturing doesnt look right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 03:15 PM

sounds like your fishing a great spot Mike. ocean floor formations are one of the key elements for striper fishing. i actually snorkled in the vicinity of where i wanted to fish to checkout the formations (overkill).

me i try to cast as far as i can but.......i've caught them out far and i've caught them in shallow. i cast as far as i can so that if i'm not getting the bite, i can spend the time, reeling in maybe 2 feet at a time and checking out different spots, sometimes you'll find a nice hole where the stripers have gathered.

maybe i should have specified that i snell my own hooks and the ones i buy, already have the 2 feet of heavy mono with a swivel on the end. so basically now, when something breaks your hook, you just snap another on quick. if your using a hook with 2' of mono and a swivel then the snapswivel will be tied at 28"-30". this in turn will hang your hook above the sinker perfectly. i know alot of these guys use the "bait finders" but sometimes its the simple things that catch you the big stripers. trust me hahaha (see gallery). feel free to ask me anything and remember my friend, there are no stupid questions when it comes to fishing. not like was born with a silver fishing pole in my mouth. lol

craig aka briggs

aka surfcastermaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Old 07-18-2004, 05:35 PM

Default AFX

Hi Mike

Welcome to the site. Always love new striper fishermen.

Cant argue with Craigs advice. Hes the surfcaster master.

Our area slows down a bit this time of year. Some stripers can be had at night or early morning when they move in with the tides to feed in the shallows. But mostly blue fish are around now. You might need the 50 pound test leader (or wire) for the blues. Try Craigs advice with one pole and your set up on another. The key to stripers takin your bait is in how its presented. Nice big fat piece of clam or bunker sittin out there with no visible hardware or resistence when they pick it up. Sometimes one will pick it up and drop it and another will pick it up and run with it. If you get a pull and then nothing keep it there for a few seconds longer. In New Joisey they are takin bunker chunks and eels. Now. but very hit and miss. The water temperatures are very high for the really big fish to be lurkin in the shallow water. They need cooler moving or deep water now. When the temp drops a little they will be back to the shoreline in droves. Right now they are as north as they can get. They will be comin back as the water temps drop a little. Blue fish love the pea warm water. So do sharks :D
Old 07-18-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Oh and I forgot

I forgot to mention that there are weak fish around. They take bunker . You might have heard them called sea trout. They look a little bit like a striper but they have a real soft cartilagenous jaw. If you set the hook or reel in too hard you might just catch a jaw. Ive done it

Pretty big further south near Cape May and Indian River in Delaware as are croakers and flounder.

Good luck Tight lines!!!

https://www.stripers247.com/The-Surf-and-Its-Fish.php
Old 07-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Lots of fun learning

Hi Mike
Welcome to the wonderful world of surf fishing. My fishing is done on Long Island from the back bays, to the open beaches, to Montauk. Each are fished differently. It sounds like your hitting the jetties and open beaches. The set up I would recommend is a Lamiglas GSB 1201m with a Penn 706 z reel. Spool it with 20 lb test mono Berkley big game or Ande. After you develop some basic skills switch over to braid. This is a great set up for plugging. I do not dead stick but would recommend going with a conventional set up if your just going to throw bait. At different times of the year you're going to have to make adjustments to find and catch fish. One of the most important things to do is look at the beach structure and think of how wind, tide, current, and time of year are going to effect the ways in which stripers may or may not hold to the structure. Check it out at low tide to find points, coves, troughs, cuts etc. Log your trips down-- note everything, and you will see patterns develop. July is a slow month, but not a dead one. Fish hard and fish at night. Look for deep cool water, and areas where structure has the greatest effect on flood tides. Flood tides = cooler water temps this time of year. August is highly underrated and is one of my best months. The surf is loaded with snappers, spearing, and occasionally juvenile weak fish, white bait, and sometimes even mullet. Shine a light in the night of the August surf, and you will see loads and loads of bait. Stripers will come in to feed on the smorgasbord, and since there are some bigger baits you may find some large coming in. Buy plenty of lures, Needlefish, bottle plugs, darters, bombers, tins, bucktails and more bucktails in a variety of sizes-- that start you on the right path. For the jetties and open beach I would recommend a 90 # barrel swivel - don't buy crap- (buy spro or roscoe) with a 50# mono leader. When plugging you will never need wire leader. The plug is your guard against the teeth of bluefish. Just check your leader constantly when you're into a school of blues. You have a lot of fun learning ahead of you. Ask questions and fish hard. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:58 PM

well, thank you all for some great advice. :D i will try out your suggestions and will let you know how i do. it's just frustrating not catching anything at all and i figured id ask people who actually catch stripers. another question... how do i "scope out" the beach to find the low areas where stripers hang out...at low tide, i still cant see the beach floor. the beach i go to has a steep bank, so when its low tide, the water still covers the bottom and only goes out like 10-15ft. also, when i look at the ocean water, theres like little "stream-shaped" calm areas of water amidst the other "choppy" water...is this the warmer water areas ive read about? thank you all so much...ive never expected so much input and help. once again...great site! :D :D
Old 07-21-2004, 04:04 AM

great site indeed! I'm new here too and haven't caught any stipers yet either... Good luck catching one!
Old 05-14-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: new to striper fishing...

I am also new to Stripers, and I can't believe how great this site is. Have absorbed so much from you guys already. Just finished fishing for stripers on a charter last Saturday out of Tilghman's Island in Md., and was the only person who didn't bring in a big one. Had two hits, but undersized when brought into the boat. I am really a surf fishing guy. Love standing in the water feeling I'm fishing on my own. I will be moving to Florida soon and this might sound silly, but do any stripers run near the Ormond Beach area? I catch blues down there, but stripers are my favorite fish to catch and eat. Can you suggest a compatible reel to use with my Diawa 12' elimator rod to catch the larger stripers? Is it true Cape May has the big stripers running now? Thanks for any response...

Last edited by babesledoll; 05-14-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: redundant sentence structure
Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 PM

Hi Babesledoll
It seems like there is always fish in the Cape May rips.

Heres a listing of Floridas Honey holes. and the top 10 Hybrid and Striper pure Bred Honey Holes

For a 12 foot spinning eliminator the Daiwa emblem pro may be a good choice as would be a shimano 6500 baitrunner.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Nice of you to join us. Hope you stay a while.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Official Member

Hey I'm relatively new to striper fishing too. I do NOT have a boat and I'm fishing from the surf. Do you know much about fishing with eels from the beach? Thanks...DC
Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 AM
SWIMBAITER

WELCOME, and great info.