Snapper story. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Snapper story.

So I was plugging the 'ol Sheepshead Bay this morning hitting snappers on random lures/peanut bunkers.

So I stick a small storm shad on(yea I know they get chomped) while bringing a small snapper in I hit something else BAM now both of these fools are pulling. I pull them up I snagged an 20" Sheepshead.

I have never ever seen one of these guys in my life, and thought they were a Southern fish. How do you fish for them? They are a pretty cool looking fish. Also are they edible? I threw mine back in the water just pretty thrilled I snagged something so exotic looking. How do you find these guys and whats the ideal bait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2005, 10:05 PM

Caught a Sheepshead in Sheepshead bay?? Cool !!

Once upon a time they were common up here - how'd ya think that place got its name ?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 PM

I heard about this, and that they were REALLY abundant a long while back...

But from what I've seen and heard they aren't around anymore. I have never seen a single soul fishing for them as well. I thought they were old news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005, 12:20 AM

Elias

There was an article in the fisherman a while back about sheepshead on the Jersey coast. The tog fishermen were catching them using sand fleas, green crabs and fiddler crabs. I have never seen one. I heard they look like convict fish.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:22 AM

They still are occasionally caught from barnegate inlet south, usually as bycatch by folks fishing crabs for weakies. Back when you could still target tog they'd be caught as bycatch there as they share very similar habits.

You ever want to feel a rod almost ripped out of your hands, head down to Fla. and go fishing specifically for them around docks and bridges in the backwaters. Absolute blast and one of the strongest (and tastiest) fish you'll ever get to duke it out with.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Was it a sheepshead, or a Blackdrum? I 'm guessing since you said, exotic looking it was an actual sheepshead, most of the guys around here think puppy black drum are sheepshead. But thats cool, too bad you threw it back I heard they were great to eat.