Skunked again : Update: Skunked no more!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Pro Staff

Default Skunked again : Update: Skunked no more!!

Crawled out of bed this morning at 2:30am to go try out a couple new spots that have been suggested. High tide was around 2 or so, so I thought I'd catch the outgoing before work.

Cuz N Eddy had suggested the Bristol Narrows, so I headed there first. First cast hit the water at shortly after 3:30. It wasn't long before I realized that I wasn't going to get anywhere at this spot, but I stuck it out for a good while, trying everything that I had. If I owned a pair of waders I might have been OK, but as it was I couldn't get any where near the current or water much deeper than 2 feet or so, even after the tide had dropped significantly. Nothing happening at all in the still shallow water, so I finally packed it up.

I'd also heard good reports about Sakonnet Point, but I'd never been there before. I still had a couple hours before work, so I decided to drive down there and check it out. On the map it looked like Hwy 77 would take you right there, so I figured there'd be some public parking spot and a walk out to the point. The road dead-ended in the marina parking lot ("Parking For Marina Members Only" said the sign). I drove around for another 45 minutes looking for some kind of public access spot, finally gave up and headed in to work. If anyone can tell me how to access this fishing spot I'd appreciate it. :help:

So not only was I skunked again this morning, but I'm no closer than I was in February to finding a spot around here where I can feel good about catching fish. My Dad is coming up this weekend and I've got this sinking feeling that we're going to go get skunked together the first time we get to fish together in 15 years :wall:. I can't let that happen. If I have to go without sleep until Friday to find fish, I'm gonna do it :tired: . I KNOW that there are fish around here somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Baitrunner, you seem to have the worst luck. I don't know your area but here are a couple of links that may help to locate a few spots you may want to consider.

Spot #1

Spot # 2
Old 06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Bait,

your going to get to fish with your father,I'd take getting skunked for the rest of my life ,if, I could spend one more day or night fishing with my dad,but he's patrolling a bigger sea than i am right now, holding court until I get there, far,far away....catching fish is secondary!

Enjoy the conversation,the early morning air, the sounds of the ocean and comming day..... if you catch a few fish great, but you dont have to catch fish to enjoy fishing.....

Rock
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 04:41 PM

Bait,

Hang in there. Check out these links to some good spots in southern RI. Striper Moon

Striper Moon is the site name, not stripper moon or you'll get some interesting sites! Check out the Tuesday Evening fishing threads. I found the Nonquit outflow in Little Compton pretty good. You can wade out to deeper water just after a high tide. I fished chunk bait with a bank sinker.

Fishing with Dad sounds great. The last time I fished with my old man was in the Kenai River in Alaska - we nailed 'em.

Good luck,

Burns
Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Bait,

Here's a better link.

http://www.stripermoon.com/talkshop3...ages/4797.html

Burns
Old 06-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Pro Staff

You're right Roccus. I shouldn't complain. At least I'll get to fish with him one more time. I'll do my best to find fish and if we get skunked, we get skunked. Maybe I'm just afraid of looking like an incompetent fool when I take my dad fishing or something, I don't know.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not only my first striper season in New England, its my first summer anywhere close to salty water. It should be easier for me to accept a season long skunk in my all too unfamiliar waters, knowing that I learn something everytime I go out and eventually it'll all add up. I've always quickly excelled at everything that I put my heart and mind into, maybe this season is just a long overdue slap in the face. That's what it feels like everytime I get home from fishing and my wife asks, "Did you catch anything?" then just laughs at me and scolds me for spending money on bait and tackle. It's like a broken record.

I've learned SO much from all the great people on this site. You've all laid a great foundation of learning for me to build upon. I apply all this learning to the best of my abilities every time I go out. I know that the methods I use will catch fish if they're there and hungry. I just have to quit tripping on this "where are they, and how can I get there" hurdle. Only time & trial and error will fix that. I feel so handicapped when I can see from a distance a spot that I think would hold bass, much too far out for me to cast to from the shore, then watch as some guy with a boat drifts across it and hooks up almost immediately. Happened again this morning. I'm like, "I was right!! There were bass there! Too bad I can't get there myself :wall: ." There's no floating apparatus of any kind in my near future, so I'm determined to figure out how and where to succeed the hard way.

At least I've hooked into a couple blues and sea robbins lately to tighten up the line on one of my reels, lol.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:58 PM

Just remember Bait, fishing is fishing. Wether it's a striper, blue, or a sea robin, it may not be what you want but's a fish. When a man get's to do what he love's, there's nothing better. Being able to spend time with your Dad will be a memorable experience no matter what. Fish or no fish, you can say, hey me and Dad got to go fishing. Now what in the world is better than that. Catching a nice fish is just a bonus, or icing on the cake.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Narrows

Baitrunner.. were you there at incoming / outgoing ? casting at the can once you pull down inton the lot will put you right into the drop off and into deeper water within a cast during the change of tides. We've marked a ton of fish rushing through that current and hooked up many times just last Saturday night, sorry it didn't work out for ya.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Sakonnet Point

77 to the end and road bears to the right and kinda around the harbor, there is a big parking lot and access to the breakwater. Do a web search on directions to Sakonnet Point and you should be able to get an idea.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Pro Staff

Hey Cuz,
I got there about 1 1/2 hours after high tide, fished until about 2 hours before low. I think I know the can you're talking about, but it was way too far out to cast to without wading. There's a grassy stretch that goes out there closer, but I would have had to get wet to get to it and I was dressed for work. I've got to get me some waders I think. I could see where the good current was, but couldn't get near it.

When I went down to try to find Sakonnet point, I followed 77 past the golf course until it came to a T. Turning RIGHT at the T took me into the shipyard. Turning left came to a dead end after a short distance. I back tracked and took some of the side roads, but never did see any public parking. I'll print out a more detailed map and try again tomorrow.

UPDATE: Thursday morning
After being out until 12:30am to see James Taylor in concert at the Tweeter Center last night (great concert by the way!!), I headed out in the light rain at about 3am to another suggested spot. Near a bridge a little ways up the Westport River. Was there for about 3 1/2 hours before I had to head in to work. :coffee: I wanted to pick up some eels, but wasn't able to get to the bait shop last night before they closed. Had one line out with clam bellies, rigged in various ways and various sizes over the course of the morning. Had another line out with either chunks of bunker or fillets of mackeral. While those were soaking I tried some various lures and soft plastics periodically a little ways up the shore (keeping a close eye on the spiked rods of course).

The only thing that got eaten was me,,,, by mosquitos. I think I need some stronger DEET, lol. :shrug:
Old 07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Pro Staff

Didn't sleep at all last night. Tried two new locations that I finally figured out how to get to. Last night I battled dogfish, some over 5 feet long. Probably caught 15 of em all told, and lost count of the number of blues. No stripers in the mix.

I took today off work because my folks are flying in,, so I fished into the morning,, ran out of bait about 8:30. This mornings results: at least 50 more blues, and 3 stripers 29-34 inches on the outgoing tide. I think the spot WITHOUT the dogfish is going to turn out to be a great one. FINALLY!! I'm so psyched!

Silly me left the camera at home when I left for work yesterday morning,, didn't take the time to come home and get it. Pretty much straight through fishing from 6pm yesterday until 8:30 this morning.. Paid off I think!!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Awesome dood. Glad you found a nice perch that produces :wtg:

Old 07-01-2005, 01:13 PM

Greato to hear your fish tales, Bait. I'm in the Westport area if you want ot hook up some time . . .

Burns
Old 07-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Good to hear... :wtg:
Good thing come to those who wait

:stickman:
Old 07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns
Great to hear your fish tales, Bait. I'm in the Westport area if you want ot hook up some time . . .

Burns
Yeah that might be fun,, I probably won't get to go out again for a little while as work piled up on me over the holiday weekend,, but I might give you a shout later on. Have you been having any luck this season? Do you have a boat or are you stuck on the shore like me?