Merrimack River Mouth - Fishing reports - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Merrimack River Mouth - Fishing reports

Beautiful day out there today, but action seemed pretty slow. We got 3 keepers, but had been doing much better lately. The water is really stained. We saw much less bird action than we had seen recently.

Mackerel seemed very hard to come by. Everybody at breaking rocks was really struggling to get them while we were there.

I hope we are not getting into the slower season already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Merrimack River Mouth - Fishing reports

Got a 33" at sunrise the weekend before last of the beech.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Rough going for me lately. I don't even seem to be getting any bites at all. Got skunked on eels at night in the flats. Can't seem to find a mackerel anywhere. I think this hot weather has all the fish headed up straight to Newfoundland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Official Member

Can't speak to the availability of mackerel outside the Merrimack.. but this week there were still scattered thin schools of tinkers hanging tight to 2KR outside Portsmouth. Seemed to be roughly 10:1..tinkers to adults.. and they basically sat on the buoy line -- like dolphin under floating debris. W/in about 50 yards: we had enough for the day in 20/30 minutes or so.

Further south, we ran into _extremely_ dense schools of pollock over some of the inshore NH ledges around Rye. ~30 feet of water. Instant fish every drop. Sure, mackerel are by far the better bait.. but pollock do catch fish.

Fishing Report:
1) (nearby) Mid-coast NH Day trip on crappy tide w/mackerel - 1 hit, no hookups... "Pepe le P.U.".
Saw one small school of bass chase a few mackerel out of the water near jetty outside Wentworth Marina. but thas was it. Nothin doing for everybody we saw.
2) Later that night...Creekmouths/marsh/rivermouths PI sound.. eels.. last of outgoing: good action. But fish size during my night eel-trips has dropped a bit over the past 2 weeks. 28-35". (Mid-June saw pods of fish in the low 40"s.)
3) July3rd?/4th?(dates kinda hazy now ...have 'blender-head' after June's eel-nights), 2am-6am, PI beach. Last of outgoing through first of incoming. Fished bars, jetties, etc. Sandeel city. Tons at the surfline... from little 2" eel-lets to 7" jumbos. Tried everything. Needlefish, sandeel imitations, etc. Had one violent hit/tail slap(?) as I was lifting a 6" tsunami holographic sandeel out of the water to recast. That was all she wrote. Now, my beach skills aren't exactly legendary... so a skunk wasn't altogether shocking.. but nobody caught anything. And a few of the (actual) legit surfcasters beside me had serious time/experience/wisdom on that beach.
--(One guy said it was his first skunk of the season)--
4) 3-5lb snapper blues are here.

Thats all I got.

Good luck.
-rostrata
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Striper Hunter

The night I was out in the flats, there were 5-6 other boats out there as well. Some were anchored up, some were trolling around with electric motors. Some were bait fishing, some were casting. I only saw one fish get caught amongst the fleet and it was tiny.

We usually do the best near the mouth, but this weekend that was just crazy with all the boat traffic - so tried further out, but got nothing.