weather 5/21/2013 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Grasshoppah

Default weather 5/21/2013

what are your thoughts on the forecast for tomorrow?
leaving out of the Merrimack in the am.

im not the best at reading forecasts, too me it looks like an ok day but bouyweather.com has me spooked calling for 2' at 3 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 03:19 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: weather 5/21/2013

I'd be more concerned about the wind direction and the time you plan on reentering the river....
Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Grasshoppah

coming back in around 330 pm roc close to low tide. when they say 5 knots e do they mean blowing east or from the east?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Grasshoppah

5-10kt ene in the am becoming ese in the afternoon. i should be running the river at low tide both ways.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbernier74 View Post
5-10kt ene in the am becoming ese in the afternoon. i should be running the river at low tide both ways.

My point... be careful!

Gorgeous day Saturday until the wind turned N/E.... no legal cod/haddock onmy inshore spot... i expect them any day... no Mac's inside either....plenty of small and medium bass.... lots of fun...I'll be OTW after work tomorrow...the fish should get bigger each day....
Water outside the mouth... 48.1 degrees...
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Grasshoppah

it was a bit bumpy at sunrise then it settled down and we had a great day of fishing. caught a couple hundred macs for the freezer and three stripers as a bonus. then the temp dropped 10 degrees suddenly and we pulled up and headed in. the tide was moving out (about three hours after high) the wind kicked up and the mouth was a total mess.HUGE breakers everywhere. I went north and found much calmer weather and waited it out for awhile. after the weather passed i went back and checked the mouth again. It was still quite hairy in there but i noticed with the wave direction you could sneak in at the north jetty. great day great fishing.

water outside was 54 degrees
Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbernier74 View Post
it was a bit bumpy at sunrise then it settled down and we had a great day of fishing. caught a couple hundred macs for the freezer and three stripers as a bonus. then the temp dropped 10 degrees suddenly and we pulled up and headed in. the tide was moving out (about three hours after high) the wind kicked up and the mouth was a total mess.HUGE breakers everywhere. I went north and found much calmer weather and waited it out for awhile. after the weather passed i went back and checked the mouth again. It was still quite hairy in there but i noticed with the wave direction you could sneak in at the north jetty. great day great fishing.

water outside was 54 degrees
Not surprised it was bumpy getting out... blew east most of the night...

she snots up pretty quick when wind meets tide...luckily for you, she was only runnin' off to a .7... from a 8.5.... had she been a minus or 0.0 and a 10'er it would have been down right ugly...

Glad you got a good day in... fish are getting bigger each day...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
First Mate

looks like Im screwed for the weekend....they are calling for 4-6' Friday and 4-7 Saturday. im there Friday -Monday. i'm wondering if I will even be able to get out front to get macs? looks I will def be in the river fishing Friday and sat atleast. I usually split this weekends fishing between cod and stripers...
I just hate the idea of not being able to get out and get my favorite striper bait....
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
looks like Im screwed for the weekend....they are calling for 4-6' Friday and 4-7 Saturday. im there Friday -Monday. i'm wondering if I will even be able to get out front to get macs? looks I will def be in the river fishing Friday and sat atleast. I usually split this weekends fishing between cod and stripers...
I just hate the idea of not being able to get out and get my favorite striper bait....
what once was a promising foercast now is not looking too sporty... I fished last night and it was absolutly miserable... foggy, rainy and cold.. but the wind was light( n/E).. alot of rock weed in the water.. but the fish were very active... biggest one about 15-16 lbs... tons of 2-5lb class fish... sluggos.... jigs and plugs ( mostly darters and eel imitators) all worked well...
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
what once was a promising foercast now is not looking too sporty... I fished last night and it was absolutly miserable... foggy, rainy and cold.. but the wind was light( n/E).. alot of rock weed in the water.. but the fish were very active... biggest one about 15-16 lbs... tons of 2-5lb class fish... sluggos.... jigs and plugs ( mostly darters and eel imitators) all worked well...
good to here roc....was there any action in the river and or flats? because it looks like im gonna be stuck in the river Saturday and sunday....Monday is lookin up!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
good to here roc....was there any action in the river and or flats? because it looks like im gonna be stuck in the river Saturday and sunday....Monday is lookin up!
they are pretty much through the entire river system now... I didn't go outside ladst night.. the fog was so thick you could only see a few hundred yards... I lke it when I'm the only diner in town!

I'll probably be out Saturday morning.. unless it is down right miserable and windy..
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Striper Hunter

hey joe, I was at the seminar the other week and really enjoyed it. Haven't been on here since then so wanted to say thank you.

Saturdays weather looks awful, rain, possible thunderstorms, and winds of 15-20mph. My question to you is, if you tough out such elements, what can you usually expect as far as fishing results? I killed it Saturday and it was a ton of fun. I have no problem braving the elements, its more the costs associated with the travel of towing the boat from NH to PI for lowsy fishing that is tough to swallow. I know you can't catch anything if your line is not in the water, but with your years of experience, how do you usually fare in such weather that we are expected to receive tomorrow? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:31 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassandbucks View Post
hey joe, I was at the seminar the other week and really enjoyed it. Haven't been on here since then so wanted to say thank you.

Saturdays weather looks awful, rain, possible thunderstorms, and winds of 15-20mph. My question to you is, if you tough out such elements, what can you usually expect as far as fishing results? I killed it Saturday and it was a ton of fun. I have no problem braving the elements, its more the costs associated with the travel of towing the boat from NH to PI for lowsy fishing that is tough to swallow. I know you can't catch anything if your line is not in the water, but with your years of experience, how do you usually fare in such weather that we are expected to receive tomorrow? Thanks.
glad you enjoyed it...as long as you can do it safely, you can score.. but it's anything but fun... the wind was terrible last night but I managed A BAKERS DOZEN FISH... INCLUDING 2 IN THE LOW TWENTIES ( LBS) (sorry.. hit the cap button by accident).. there is alot of weed in the water, and it will get muddy in the next few days from the rain..this time of year, it doesn't seem to bother the fish... mid june.. it's another story....if the wind isn't too bad, I'll go out Saturday morning... I'm setting the alarm... it will be a "wait and see" type deal..