New Lures for the season - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Default New Lures for the season

Hi everyone,

I live up in Maine and I'm starting to do some pre season shopping for lures. I usually fish at the mouth of rivers or straight up surf. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for some good lures for this season.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM
First Mate

Default Re: New Lures for the season

I fish around the York area with Bombers and top waters.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Can't go wrong with swimbaits. Seems like a lot of guys use them in the beginning of the year and do awesome with them.

Big Hammer makes some awesome soft plastics.

Bombers seem like a great choice as well.
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Official Member

Another choice is the new Daiwa Salt Pro Minnows...Look great & have rolling weights inside that assist in casting then return back so as to work the swimming action..Cast very well..Did well at Pt judith last year with these...About $10...Jim
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Striper Hunter

It's not new but it's one of the most effective way to work any part of the water colum buck tail white, green or green and white you can't go wrong.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Paul View Post
It's not new but it's one of the most effective way to work any part of the water colum buck tail white, green or green and white you can't go wrong.
the most versatile effective lure ever made...if ihad only one lure in a survival situation..it would be a bucktail.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 PM
BellaMariaGW232

When you 3way your bucktail (boat, drifting over reefs), do you: drag it on the bottom, as close to the bottom as possible without getting snagged, or a couple cranks off while watching the fish finder?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 AM
Official Member

Roccus..You're probably rightabout the bucktail...In the San Francisco Bay, its tops..Even in the ocean surf its great with lighter gear ( Steelhead rods & 250 Calcuttas )..We use 1/2 oz banana jigs with a 6 "white worm tail...Excellent lure..Jim
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMariaGW232 View Post
When you 3way your bucktail (boat, drifting over reefs), do you: drag it on the bottom, as close to the bottom as possible without getting snagged, or a couple cranks off while watching the fish finder?

I'm by no means an expert on bucktails but the simple answer to your question is YES. On a flat/sandy bottom bucktails can be casted out and retrieved slowly, bounced off bottom along the way. This will kick up sand and debris along the way and mimmick prey attempting to flee. The most effective method for fishing bucktails, in my experience anyway, has been the old rip/twitch method. Cast out your bucktail (I'm partial to the red/white laughing) and use a quick retrieve while "ripping and twitching" the tip of your rod as you reel in. Tip your bucktail with a pork rind/other soft-plastic trailer for even better results. I'm sure others will chime in but that's my .02 cents. Tight lines out there this season fellas. . . . .