Do you guys actively work to get in shape for the surfcasting season. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Official Member

Default Do you guys actively work to get in shape for the surfcasting season.

The last few years I have attempted to try and get my legs in shape to traverse the soft sand, the slimy rocks and the marches to distant spots all the while fending off mosquitos. For me each year it gets increasingly difficult. The stamina is almost gone. A few fish and im lying down on a rock sucking wind.
Jogging is out of the question - so ive taken to a recumbant bike and low impact exercises. There is no substitute for being in shape. Hard core surfcasting is a young mans game. True you can stand on a bluff with binoculars and watch others do the scouting - I see many sit in their cars and wait for someone to be into fish before they get out and suit up but then again there is nothing like hunting a spot in the middle of the night with the right tide and correct tactics. No one is there to key off of.

Do any of you older guys work at it to get in shape at all? Unless of course your young and in shape always anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: Do you guys activley work to get in shape for the surfcasting season.

I had six hot dogs for lunch today that is still a work out, lol. I have been thinking the same thing as of late. I am feeling a bit older this winter and feel a little wake up call is necessary prior to hiking out to some of my favorite spots this spring. My last big hike last year i hiked in from the lighthouse lot and down to Warhols in Montauk. By the time I got back I was destroyed! But I caught a bunch of fish.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Do you guys activley work to get in shape for the surfcasting season.

Swim!! Best work out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Striper Hunter

I keep telling myself to get started. At my age it's hard to get motivated but I want to do this not only for rock hopping all night but also for the marathon walk I am doing later this year. I have an elliptical and a treadmill side by side in my basement. Time to dust them off
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Lightbulb Re: Do you guys activley work to get in shape for the surfcasting season.

I take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon instead of a 1 hr nap
Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

STRETCH.. The most important thing to do before you go out is make sure you stretch. leg lunges at least. at night and in am. a couple of easy ones are done with a strap or robe belt. while lying down,, loop the strap around your foot and while keeping leg locked... lift till it's tight and hold it for 20 second (5 reps) each leg. then turn on stomach and loop strap around foot and from behing your back take the strap and pull it forward above your head to pull bent leg up toward your head as far as it is possible to feel the tension and hold for 20 seconds (5 reps) each leg. these will at least work your quads/hamstrings/ankles/knees/and hip. eat sweet potato and banannas and a potassium supplement and drink plenty of water even if your not thirsty. waking up with a cramp in your leg is a beeotch in the middle of the night "how many of you have had that happen?" these are telltale signs of not having stretched/nutrition/etc. pineapple is great for connective tissue and an aspirin at night won't hurt. be safe out there and enjoy the coming season..... oh? you lift weights? well,,,,, if you can't benchpress my #*$+ i'm not impressed..... oh, in an article in THE FISHERMAN magazine some time last year Doc Muller did an article on this so no it's not original but nothing new. i read that and it resonated in my mind as a physical therapist had told me what i was in need of doing while laid up three years ago. my job was the cause of my back injury and i have to take care of myself if i want to stay safe and out of harms way. good luck this spring and when you get a cramp in your leg at night after fishing all day//// curse me as you will have remembered after the fact you loser...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
good luck this spring and when you get a cramp in your leg at night after fishing all day//// curse me as you will have remembered after the fact you loser...

lol or if you get cramping in your legs while you are standing on a rock 3 miles from your vehicle. Brutal. I hiked from The lighthouse to Warhols last year on an overnight and was cramped almost the entire walk back.

Plan ahead while out there. I should have brought more water. I am thinking of getting one of those camelbacks for this season.

Good info Zim that people don't always consider
Old 03-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Do you guys actively work to get in shape for the surfcasting season.

You are what you eat? Banana and Pineapple. lol
Carry an orange or two they travel well.
I have to get the legs in shape or I'll push too hard to early, give up too soon and be torn up sore for two days.
I got smart watching this 80 something local guy do that march in M Mark.
Slow and slower and I hear he catches as much as anyone. If you dont see him out there the fish aren't there.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Do you guys actively work to get in shape for the surfcasting season.

It was a hike and it amazed me how from cove to cove the rocks would vary in size also. It was a bear. It was worth it however. If I make it back this year, which is doubtful, I will definitely bring a back pack and a couple of power bars.