Live Lining - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Live Lining

So I have a few questions about Live Lining. First off when you are live-lining mackerel pogey's etc.. do you use one hook or 2? Also how do you hook the fish? Do you cut its fin? If you use 1 or 2 hooks where do you hook them? Also do you use a weight to weigh the fish down? Thanks again for your help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Live Lining

I use just one hook but have seen people use two. One seems plenty and hooking them through the nostrils or up through the lower lip out the top is my preference. It all depends on where your fishing them. If throwing into rocks or shallow structure you don't need any weight but you could also use a float or baloon. Plenty of reading on here also for more tips if u do a search. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Meh?

My preferred method of hooking is through the back, behind the dorsal fin. It keeps the bait much livelier and since bass tend to hit bait head-first, it increases the chances of the hook setting properly. My previous experience with hooking through the head is that it restricts the fish's movement severely, quickly tiring the fish, that is unless your trolling. Depending on the weight of your sinker and bait size, I tend to use smaller sinkers, just enough to slow the bait down, to make it look more attractive in a school of fast moving bait. If your using a heavier sinker, hooking the underside of the fish prevents the bait from being pulled upside down by the weight which causes the fish to die faster. As clopes mentioned though, it's all about where you are, fast moving water, structure, flats, drop-offs, each is different, fish a spot enough and you learn it's quirks.

ps. Using 2 hooks, ie. Pilchard Rig, requires a lot more effort than necessary and 1 hook usually does the job effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 PM
swabbie

If you are meat hunting and know only big bass are around you can rig a stinger hook. Make sure you leave enough line to have slack so the fish can swim freely. For catch and release or when smaller bass are around please don't use the stinger it has a higher chance of killing the bass.

If trolling always hook via the mouth - in upper jaw out a nostril.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Official Member

hkjb
Old 06-14-2010, 03:18 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

a 8/0 circle inserted through the open mouth and out through the cartilage is all you need, give the fish 5 seconds... an honest 5 seconds and reel... you wont miss many... trebles kill too many fish and should be banned for ANY bait fishing... I averaged 30 fish a day last week all between 15 and 40lbs, all on live macks.... I lost excatly 4 fish due to misses from the circles... I wish I could say that that was all I lost to the clowns that ran over fish I was fighting...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
a 8/0 circle inserted through the open mouth and out through the cartilage is all you need, give the fish 5 seconds... an honest 5 seconds and reel... you wont miss many... trebles kill too many fish and should be banned for ANY bait fishing... I averaged 30 fish a day last week all between 15 and 40lbs, all on live macks.... I lost excatly 4 fish due to misses from the circles... I wish I could say that that was all I lost to the clowns that ran over fish I was fighting...
What if the mackerel is large like 12-15" still just through the mouth? and when you say 5 seconds do you use a weight to weight it down? and is that only when there are stripers around? like hitting bait at the top of the water?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

It works even better on large, provided the fish are not small and just interested in killing the bait rather than eating it....

the hook is inserted through the open mouth up through the top about 3/8" back into the tough cartilage in the nose... straight up..... not through the nostril, which are soft and tear eaisily.... I've had mackerel slide up the line ( like an eel) when the bass was hooked.... remember.. bass swallow the bait head first.. that is where the hook should be...I do not use weight.. most times I just let the Mac swim free... in deeper water, I will tether them to a ballon affixed to a slide rig set to a pre determined depth... in the past, when I first started using circles, after moving away from trebles, i used a stinger rig, I've found that it is really not needed, like all forms of fishing, learning when to engage the fish ( formerly known as setting the hook) takes practice, and in the learning process you will indeed miss some fish... but once it is mastered, you will "drop" far less fish with the circle than you do with other methods, and in the long run , the fish and angler both come out on top...
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Grasshoppah

if you plan on live lining macks i suggest buying a reel with a baitrunner switch on it...i have used both shimanno and okuma reels and like them both. they are essential for allowing the fish the five seconds without feeling resistance from your rod.