Disappointed with Sebile knot... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Question Disappointed with Sebile knot...

I've heard and read a lot of good things about Sebile (fg) knot and went to use it.
I've searched everything what I could find on the Internet about that knot.
I've decided that website

https://stripers247.com/shock-leader-knot.php

is the best and followed those instructions very meticulously. Tied each step as strong as possible. Melted good bulb etc... So, as I said, I've followed those instructions very meticulously.
Today while casting (not the strongest one) I lost my best lure with fluorocarbon 30lb.
Knot on the braid has been left undamaged but fluorocarbon disappear... Mine lost leader was about 3ft.
May be Sebile knot has been designed for long shock leaders when effort during casting doesn't applied directly to the knot and can't bear the sharp jerking?
Any suggestions and advices???
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Disappointed with Sebile knot...

I've had both good and bad results from the Sebile. The better results was with limp small diameter braid and thicker mono or flourocarbon. Always give it a real good pull test. I was just about sold on the knot until I tied one the other night with Fireline braid with bad results. I couldn't get it to cinch down around the leader, so it always pulled off. Probably because Fireline tends to be on the stiffer side. I like fireline, but it didn't appear to work well with the Sebile. I'll try it again, with Fireline, after I've used it a while, and it softens up a bit.

So, I like the knot, have done pull tests with very good results, but need to be careful with the line choices. When in doubt, I use the crazy alberto.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

So it's not the knot that failed but the leader. Could be two things. Either the leader material is no good, or somehow when you tightened up on the knot the leader strand got weak. When tieing again try to leave longer tag ends so when you tighten up on it, it doesn't pull too hard on the leader strand. I always use mono shock leader with braid using the Alberto knot and have never had any problems on the cast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 AM

I dont really use shock leaders. Im not in any casting contests and for plugging or general baitfishing I dont need it.
I do however tie braid to mono and I've been using the slim beauty. So far the knot hasn't failed. Both times when I lost the teminal end it was at the breakaway clip and the improved cinch knot let go on bucktail snags. Never the slim beauty. I know its a fly tyers knot but it works on braid to mono and the braid doesnt cut through the mono.
Try it and see if it works. Otherwise practice the Alberto.

Slim Beauty Knot
Old 05-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Striper Hunter

I like the idea of Sebile (FG) knot because it is small and has no folded end of mono which sometimes capturing coils of the braid under it and could create a mess.

Sebile (FG) knot by Jay Withers a Saltyshores
scssam

fg knot
fen1255
take 2

Asian1(very good also) U-Tube
batchan1111
Asian2(very good also) U-Tube
b3838938
Asian3(very fast) U-Tube
Slll8
Asian4
onoken908

Hybrid FG knot U-Tube
http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=732324 strikeseeker

GT knot Bruce Horner (U-Tube)
stevepitts18

(U-Tube) ck0410

(U-Tube) fmfhsu
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Way too complicated for the field IMO - This one is easy.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
OneMoreCast

I have to agree with the stripjim, the slim beauty works very well and is fairly easy to tie even in the field once you get the hang of it. I've used it on bass and tuna with no problems. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
First Mate

I myself love the Sebile/FG or whatever it's called. I was the one to first post on this site about it. Before posting I had tested the knot over a few weeks. I will admit that it was one of the hardest knots I tie to get right but after doing it several times one night I had it pretty much figured out. I had first seen the knot when down in NC as some guys from Sebile were staying at my cousins B&B. I never really tried it then as I was leaving NC as they were coming but I watched them tie it as they were rigging(setting leaders) several setups in the yard.
What I found is you must test pull the knot and if it slips then you should use several more wraps. The info about more wraps came from directly from Jay Withers. The knot is based off the Japanese FG which they have been tying for many years. Patrick Seble saw the knot when in Japan but did not see the whole method, he then devised what is called the Sebile Knot when he got back to the states. I have also tested it strenth on leader and it blew away all the other knots I tested it against. The downfall of it is that it's a bitch to tie and just one wrong wrap will ruin it

I don't think the type of leader really matters as I also saw them tie the Sebile using Stainless steel wire as leader with no problems. I thought it could/would never work but it did

What I really loved about the knot was that it would not hang up on my Abu level guide or eyelets on rod. I have also switched to the japanese style of tying the FG as it is easier for me to tie due to not wrapping one of the lines in the wrong direction. In th end they are almost the same exact knot. Problem is I have not tied since last fall and if I had to doi it right now I would need to watch video again. I love the knot for tying braid to backing mono on reel