1st trip NY Harbor report - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:01 PM

Default 1st trip NY Harbor report

Went out for the first time this year and met up with Sinu. I recognized him by the Striper247 hat that he was proudly sporting. He caught 3 small bass on clam bellies from a bait shop and I caught a big fat 30 inch female on a mackerel chunk and lost one on fresh clam. Don't know how much she weighed b/c I didn't have the scale. Also, lost one on fresh clam. I was inspired to try clam bellies and i went to china town and to buy 3 mackerel and a half dozen clams cost $4.15 (cheap)! Why didn't anyone warn me how much that fresh clam stinks? Yuk! We fished the night tide. Not a bad start and I used my new surf set-up, okuma solaris 9M and okuma corrida BR65. The rod cast well and the reel was smooth. I don't expect it to last as long as a penn, but for now it works well and I bought it on e-bay for 26 bucks so I'm happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 07:30 PM
LunkHead

Nice Fish!

Clams smell, and fish love 'em, so........ 8)

Ed
Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 PM

Ya fish Chin! Glad to hear you had a good time. ya i love clam bellies too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 08:21 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Thanks for posting the report! Glad to hear you were able to work out the new setup :) I think I saw Sinu online earlier today.

So you like the Solaris huh? I have a 10' Solaris I use for casting large wood plugs, Danny's...Pencil's...etc. I like it, but the top guide loosened on me my first or 2nd time out with it. Not a massive problem, but still irked me a little. Not a bad rod for the money though! Thats tha truth :D

Old 04-11-2005, 10:55 PM

I think i'm starting to see a Clambellie pattern here hahaha.

I was just reading another post where someone said " Why chase your food when you can have a nice peice of clambellie" How True.

Its the smell that brings um, and its the texture that makes them suck that baby right in.

Great report Chin.....I wouldn't trade my Solaris for anything, throws the hell out of my plugs and artificials,

The top eye on mine broke off too, but it was from stuffing it in the van on that trip down to GA. :oops:

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 04-12-2005, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chin
Why didn't anyone warn me how much that fresh clam stinks?
It has a good "stink" to it chin. Kinda like New england Clam chowda. Wait till ya leave bunker in the cooler for 2 or 3 days.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:33 AM

Yup......just one little clambellie, placed at a strategic spot in an enemies car, will not only stump him, but will most likely ruin the car hahaha......or so i heard :twisted:

it IS a good stink. You know when your walking along, and suddenly out of nowhere you smell Italian food(garlic)? well, thats what a clambellie is like to a Striper. I've probably turned a whole lot of stripers on their way to the eelgrass, or mussel beds, towards my stinky clam.

I also think that the stringy part of the clam, looks so much better than any squid tentacle.

at the beginning of the trip, sure it smells bad, but by the end of the night..........you get your bellies from the bucket, either holding your breath or very very fast and close the lid. It takes maybe an extra 2 seconds but, i always take the time to close the lid on the clams, keeps them fresher longer and keeps those pesky bugs off of them. Also keeps the skunks from wondering down to surprize you, had that happen before. ah yes.......yet another good reason to have a 15 foot rod hahaha.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Briggs I'm in on the clam bellie thing as soon as I can :)

I can't wait to put some of those clam bellies in the water this year..
I got a few spots I'd like to try out.. not that anyone said they will produce or if fish even hold up there... just trying to scout out a few spots to call my own :) I just can't wait to anchor up or drift with a coffee early in the morning and watch the sun come up over the bay.

Briggs when they coming again ? :)
Old 04-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Veteran

Would you say it looks like a good start this year. :?:
Old 04-12-2005, 03:42 PM

With the cold weather and late start I think they will stay in the rivers longer.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Briggs when they coming again ?

They'll be here next weekend Cuz.....i know this because i had to change my damn fishing trip until next saturday night.

On the up side..........the tide will be later in the day and i should have better luck than i would have last saturday. Or i'd like to convince myself of that fact hahaha.

like i said before, next saturday will be more of a hardcore fishing trip. get down the beach at around 8pm. fish until we hit that lagtide at about 4am and slam um.

You mentioned anchoring up watching the sun with a coffee? Now your my new best friend cuz hahahahaha !!! Thats what i have in mind when i get my boat, only i'll be doing that over on the ocean in front of my beach house.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Hahaha, In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, one of the Radio guys says
"I'm gonna go wash my sports car. No, I'm kidding, the IRS repoed it and I left seafood under the trunk."

hahaha, man... that is RICH

Nice report dude, glad you're gettin into them.