AYC - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Default AYC

I have been making phone calls to many lumber yards and mill shops in Northern NJ that I have delt with for some reasonable AYC with no luck(they don't even carry). I do need to make a few more calls as with a few of the yards I was aking for spindles. I have found some places but with the way they were selling it and shipping it's just not worth the price. I do also have family in MA so that area may not be out of the question. Or even if the price for the lumber is reasonable then shipping would not be out of the question.
If anyone would be willing to steer me in some direction I would greatly appreciate it in some way or another.

I had posted this in another thread but got no response. If you don't wan't to give up your connections I understand, but did not want it missed. Someone did help me out but want to see if there is anyone closer. If you want a PM is fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Default Re: AYC

Generally a group of guys will get together and organize a run to Rhodie to pick up a bulk supply. If it happens this year I'll let you know.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Generally a group of guys will get together and organize a run to Rhodie to pick up a bulk supply. If it happens this year I'll let you know.
Thank you sudsy
If I end up heading to visit with family then I will let you know. It's a bit out of the way but I can head into MA through RI. Well not my normal route but not to bad. Well between there and another one in MA maybe I cn have someone pickup a small supply that I can grab if visiting on the weekend/holiday (off hours) If this is the same yard(in WK) I think we used them when building a home and doing some repairs on Block Island.

I was checking directions to their SC yard(if I'm thinking of the same place) as I may be in Wilmington, NC this New Year for a week or so(winter stripers) but it's like 4 1/2 hrs one way that's longer than the trip to RI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
First Mate

I was also wondering how good Redwood would be for plugs. It's very close in density to AYC plus has many of the same qualities. My neighbors dock has 4x4s of redwood(I htought cedar a first) that are layed downed crosswise. I can pull a few out and replace with treated. I pulled out one really damaged one and cut good part into 12" pieces only to have my wife or someone throw out. The 4x4s have been there 50+ yrs. I need to make a call also as I think I can get Redwood, it may be Brazilian but still redwood.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 PM

Redwood can be very good or very bad, it depends on the grain.

Boards from older growth trees will have a nice tight grain pattern, works very well for plug building.

The newer stuff that's around is mostly wide grain new growth, not so great. The large grain pattern causes ridges and scalloping between the hard and soft rings, mostly when you sand.
You can minimize it by using a hard sanding block but it's really not worth the effort.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

WRC is available at most lumber yards in 4X4 size from 8' up.. sort through the pile and find the white heart wood, the grain is fairly tight...

WRC is more boyant than AYc or Port Oxford, it is also softer, so maintianing sharp tools is a must or you can suffer some nasty tear outs, but once it is sealed and coated with epoxy, it becomes a moot point.. some people are allergic to the dust so that can be a factor.. that aside it makes fine plugs ( especialy poppers and surface swimmers)..

Birch, maple and mahogany all have a use as a plug building material... and dont forget clear white ( or even yellow) pine.. alot of plugs have been built through the year with white pine...
Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 AM

Yellow pine is nice, long curly shavings off your tools
It does move a lot so you need to seal it well
Old 11-07-2009, 11:02 PM
First Mate

Thank you Roccus and Sudsy,

I had noticed that with the WRC, some of the plugs I made were from the legs off a WRC shoe rack. When looking at the wood i had noticed that the light colored section was harder and had a tighter grain. I'm going to run by a local yard as a customer had a 4x4x' that was very light colored with just a little red. I had noticed Salty has Port Orford

I had thought about using pine also as it is light, decent grain and cheap. Quality pine is easy to come by also. I find using the lighter weight wood allows me to add weight were with heavier wood I'm somewhat limited.

To add just a little weight I found that adding some tungstin powder to to epoxy helps and I can also just use in certain areas or add at anytime. I can even add weight to the whole underside of plug if wanted. It's available through many golf club making stores like GolfSmith. It's a little pricey but also 1.5 times heavier than lead and can sometimes save a plug I may junk/scrap otherwise
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM

That tungsten idea sounds interesting

And I was told that Port Orford cyprus is the new name for AYC