Braid VS Rocks - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
First Mate

Default Braid VS Rocks

I fish off of jetties in almost all of my fishing and i have been using 50# power pro. I have lost a couple fish recentlly right in the rocks when a wave crashes as im trying to get my fish. The pp appears to snap in half. would it be better to be using 20# mono when im around rocks because it doesnt fray as easy? cause im getting sick of using braid if the line is gnna snap or fray in half as im trying to get the fish close enough to grab. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Braid VS Rocks

Braid + Rocks = Lost Fish

try using as long of a mono or fluro leader as you can
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Striper Hunter

I also fish off rocks a lot. The braid will cut on the rocks so you need to use a leader. I use fluorocarbon as it is more invisible and stronger than mono. I am currently using 30LB fluorocarbon as I find it easier to tie knots with this than the 50LB thicker stuff. Your leader length for fishing off rocks should be about 3' or a little less. Where the leader meets the braid I use a barrel swivel in between the 2 lines. Then at the other end of the leader I have been using a breakaway clip instead of a swivel so that I can slide on a plug or a hook if I want to use an eel.

For the fluorocarbon leader I would recommend Ande or Seaguar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:25 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

My 2cents

When fishing the rocks. I use a flouro leader tied to braided running line 55 pound power pro and 40 pound flouro 30 is Ok also. I tie to the braid using an Alberto (some think this knot causes the braid to cut the flouro, I think Alberto has caught plenty of big fish using this knot and not had that problem) I generally wind two to three wraps of leader on the spool flouro and mono are far more abrasion resistant than braid and when you get a feisty fish in close on the rocks you have less chance of break off.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...=Crazy+alberto
Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
My 2cents

When fishing the rocks. I use a flouro leader tied to braided running line 55 pound power pro and 40 pound flouro 30 is Ok also. I tie to the braid using an Alberto (some think this knot causes the braid to cut the flouro, I think Alberto has caught plenty of big fish using this knot and not had that problem) I generally wind two to three wraps of leader on the spool flouro and mono are far more abrasion resistant than braid and when you get a feisty fish in close on the rocks you have less chance of break off.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...=Crazy+alberto
Jimi4290 taught me that knot and I used to use it religiously but I can tell you without question big fish will cut your leader with that knot Ive had it happen 3 times this year and all on the initial take before I could turn them. Sliced right through 50# Seaguar no problem, all three times my line came back with the wraps from the alberto and even the loop that goes around the leader but nothing else. I choose a spro swivel now I'm not risking loosing another huge fish.

Also Ive noticed from the past three years of PP use that if you leave it in the sun it gets brittle just like mono, although expensive I swap line once every two weeks, either reversed or replaced. Custom plugs are two much money to throw into the drink because of breakoff's due to worn line.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Pro Staff

I have never Had a problem with that knot. It is an extremely popular knot easy to tie and I know many people who have landed very large fish with out a problem with it. If you had the wraps still on the running line how is it that the braid sliced through the leader?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have never Had a problem with that knot. It is an extremely popular knot easy to tie and I know many people who have landed very large fish with out a problem with it. If you had the wraps still on the running line how is it that the braid sliced through the leader?
Just braid wraps left no leader (I add a small drop of super glue on all my braid knots so they don't pull through) all of the leader was always gone....I too have landed big fish on that knot but it all depends on that initial hit. If a 30# + bass slurps an eel I'm throwing no problem but each occasion I was jigging a sluggo and each hit was very sharp and surely cut the leader. However the few occasions I've gotten stuck on the bottom and had to break off usually the alberto holds and the leader breaks....its that instant shock that makes that knot fail.

I don't think its a bad knot but I know I am not the only person who has had that problem as you mentioned before. BTW it is a really easy knot to screw up if your not anal about wrapping it correctly.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
First Mate

Thanks you guys for all the advice. Ill definitely give that knot a try next time I am out.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
BTW it is a really easy knot to screw up if your not anal about wrapping it correctly.
If you don't pay attention to the wraps and the position of the braid it is easy to screw up.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you don't pay attention to the wraps and the position of the braid it is easy to screw up.
I.E. A real pain in the ass to do correctly with big fish busting around....
Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 PM
First Mate

I always use a leader anywhere from 30# mono/fluoro to 60# Fluoro it depends on the fish in the area or the amount of rocks. The shortest I use is about 3' and sometimes go up to 5'. Casting 5' lead takes abit more practice for the beginner unless you use the sebile or fg knot as you can pull this right into the guides as ther is no tag ends to catch on the guides.

My 2 cents is there is only one knot that should be used when using a leader and not a using a swivel with it. It is the Sebile or FG knot- this knot was developed in Japan, the Sebile version is about the same as the FG. the tested knot strength is not effected an normally the line will snap before the knot. Use the search on this site and search Sebile (yes same person that makes the lures) knot or FG or knot. There is a video that will help you tie it. In the FG video the guy does more wraps at the end then is needed. I could not post the video showing the Sebile knot due to it being linked to another forum site

This is a copy from one of my other posts showing some testing I did on the Sebile Knot

I tested this Knot a few times before I used it for my mono backing to braid line. On my tests the braid line snapped before the knot on 2 out of 3 of them. Thanks for changing the link I had, link did show the modified one that I used but they are just about the same. I also found that I did not need to burn the line or use so many knots at the end. But to each his own, I do swear buy either one of those. All of the sebile knots tested within 5 lbs or less of the lb line test. The albright and uni broke way before that like 10+ lbs on 30 lb line.
Other tests I have seen with 65lbd Power Pro to 80lbd momoi diamond mono showed the Sebile knot- broke at 70 lbds and this was on the power pro portion that wrapped around the post.

The best thing as said somewhat above is the size of this knot and it having no mono tag to hang up. This not slips right through my Abu 6600c level wind quide and all the others hung up in one direction or the other
Old 10-14-2009, 05:52 PM
First Mate

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ht=sebile+knot

This is a link to the thread with the Sebile knot video.

Here is the Sebile knot video-there is another video that shows it being tied slightly different but you have to google search it as the video is on another forum website which I can't post here. It should be the first search result ( the video is a bit easier to follow) Just one thing is
after clipping the mono/fluoro leader(about 1/8") you can tie a few more overhand knots to cover over the tag end of the mono/fluoro then clip the braid tag. I then put a dab of superglue on the last braid knot to stop any fray.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the idea of the fg knot. I am definitely going to try that next chance i get. this know seems really sensible to use in the rocks that i fish.