New to striper fishing in NJ - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Striper Hunter

Default New to striper fishing in NJ

myself and a few buddies recently purchased a center console that will be kept in the NCY area - have all the rods, reels, etc we need.

most of us have been fishing 20+ years freshwater, and a few guys have many years experience out at the canyons -

any help, links, recommendations for fishing mainly the fall and spring striper runs would be helpful - will prob spend most of our time in raritan bay but will run to the whereever the stripers are biting, ocean included

also plan on doing some shark fishing and a canyon trip or two per year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Re: New to striper fishing in NJ

Welcome.
Without broadcasting the spots online get yourself a Captain Seagulls Chart at the local tackle shop. It will have locations of fishing hot spots marked out in pink on the map. These same shoals, knolls and rips hold the bass. If I were putting a boat into the bay I would work the edges along the reach channel drifting along the bouys. Also I would be concentrating efforts near the inlets and creeks where bait flushes out.
Its probably a good idea for you guys to hire a charter for a day or two. Pick the Captains brains - It will save you money in gas alone over the course of the season. No shortcuts really - you just have to get out there and learn it and fish it.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Striper Hunter

really appreciate it jim -- actually went out with a few captains for the spring run - so i have a general idea - i guess its like you said - get out there and learn the area -- picked up a lot of helpful hints around various sights - including this one-

anyone here ever read the New Jersey Boat Fisherman by Nick Honachefsky?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Jim pretty much nailed it
Right now it's mainly a fluke bite (think deep ) but word is the weakies are starting to make a showing. It would be nice, we haven't had them in any numbers in the back there in 3 or 4 years.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Striper Hunter

caught a few fluke, all shorts, near the verazano sunday, was just messing around with some light reels and jigs - still fun none-the less- will try some deeper water this weekend - though it may be a little tough weather

have heard/read the weakfish reports as well --- thx for the heads up though - may give that a go..

really looking forward to the fall bass run - may be using whats left of my vaca days at work in the span of a month - hah