License bill for RI introduce - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
First Mate

Default License bill for RI introduce

Introduced today, establishing a saltwater license and raising the fees on hunting and fishing license.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText09/HouseText09/H5203.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Default Re: License bill for RI introduce

Be advised........................................
I am already all over this bill, and will fight the current legislation to my final dying breath.
Without legislation providing for enforcement, as well as the cost of said structure, There is no way on God's green earth that anyone with a brain between their ears would stand for this piece of toilet paper.
$50.00 for a Non-resident? Are you friggin kidding me? When other states are in consideration of reciprocals, we are going to hammer other states?
What does reciprocal mean? If Rhode Island charges an agreeing state resident 50, then that is what it will cost me there.
Think I'll be crossing any state lines in 2010?
How many of you are going to take the annual or more trip here at that rate?
Thought so............................
Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
First Mate

Gunny here are some thoughts from another website

I thought Democracy dictated that we elect "Representatives", for whome we place great deal of trust to Represent the majority that voted the person in. So Representing means consulting before acting... Correct ? Unfortunately, Dr. Rice, Mrs Naughton, and Mr. Malik spoke to no one yes NO ONE before introducing this bill.

The saltwater license issue has been in the works for 2 years. The Secretary of Commerce established a special program MRIP to study the issue and setup forums for the public to seek the best way to do this. In response, DEM Director established a comparable Commission made of all interested parties and open to the public to discuss ways to implement the saltwater license when the Feds are ready. That's how things are supposed to wok in a model world....! Open meeting and transparency....

Fishing and hunting license increase was proposed without any consulation with the agency that will eventually use the money. This is restricted monies which can only be used by DEM for fishing and hunting programs. This $$ cannot be used to balance the budget crisis in RI.... and if you really cared about hunters and fishermen you should protect them for paying more to enjoy their recreational opportunites.

Disapointed at the approach. I hope our junior Rep Dr. Rice finds a better approach to move bills into the process for the people and not for other motives.... Let's hope that is the case.

Fishing/Hunting/Trapping license fees cannot feed the General Fund. Unless I have gotten very bad information, and I don't think that is the case, that money goes into what is called a restricted receipt account and that money is available only to DEM/Fish & Wildlife. If the State were to divert those monies into the General Fund, the Federal Govt could take away Federal funding from the Fish and Wildlife Division. 90 percent of the funding of the F&W Division is Federal money. I cannot believe that the General Assembly or the Governor would risk losing those Federal funds (effectively killing the Division) by diverting the license fees to the General Fund. Maybe the explanation for the increases in license fees is to actually help keep the Division of Fish & Wildlife going. They have lost a sh*t-load of people and I'm sure their budget is being whacked (and stacked) like every other State agency. Maybe someone from DEM....or formerly from DEM, like Joy could shed some light on this. At any rate, none of this is going to happen without a hearing before the House Finance Committee, at which point DEM will weigh in on their position. Are they asking for the increases? Do they need the increases? (of course they do!) What are they going to use that money for? What happens without the increases? If they didn't ask for the increases, do the people that are sponsoring the bill know that this money cannot go into the General Fund with out major negative consequences from the Federal Govt. All this stuff (should) come out in the Hearing....to which we should all go, or at the very least write a letter expressing our views. Kudos to WildTurkeyCraig for his enthusiasm and activism with the Federation. But the Federation ain't gonna "knock this down and have them throw it out" if the only guy that shows up, or expresses his/her displeasure with it, is WildTurkeyCraig. Let me tell you something folks, and most of you know this....everything that flys or doesn't fly under this Dome is dependent upon NUMBERS. The squeakey wheel gets the grease. If you want a bill passed or you want a bill killed, if you are not vocal and if you don't show up in NUMBERS, don't be surprised if things don't go your way. Thats the way it is. It's call democracy and it ain't perfect. It's better than anything else out there.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Randy, There aint enough grease to quiet the sqeaks, and squeals coming from tha axles of my wheels. I am compiling numbers and have been to the commitee and plan on being at every one of them. Would you believe that the deputy director running these commitee meetings had no clue that this bill was going to be presented?
I have been informed that one of the sponsors has removed his name as well.
Talk about a blind side back stab.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM
First Mate

Gunny if you hear when they are trying to do something let me know
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 PM

This is just a joke

20-2-15.1. Salt water fishing license-. The recreational salt water fishing license shall
12 entitle the licensee to fish for both finfish and shellfish in Rhode Island coastal and estuarine
13 waters.
14 (1) Classes of salt water licenses and fees are as follows:
15 (i) Resident: twenty-five dollars ($25.00).
16 (ii) Nonresident: fifty dollars ($50.00)
17 (iii) Nonresident tourist: twenty-five dollars ($25.00). This license shall entitle the
18 licensee to fish in Rhode Island for three (3) consecutive days including the day of issue.
19 (2) Saltwater fishing licenses shall expire on the last day of February of each year.
20 (3) For the purposes of managing salt water fisheries, the department may annually
21 collect fish landing information from licensees.

They need to follow Delawares lead and make it $8.50
Beach Driving on State Park beaches are exempt with the Beach driving permit. They collect the info through a fin number
FIN (Fisherman Information Network) number

http://www.fw.delaware.gov/Pages/FWPortal.aspx

Delaware Fishing License

Residents and non-residents are exempt from fishing license requirements if they are the operator of a vehicle with a valid Delaware surf fishing vehicle permit as long as the vehicle is located on a designated Delaware State Park surf fishing area. Normal licensing provisions will apply to other occupants of that vehicle if they are fishing.

The fee for an annual resident fishing license remains $8.50. The non-resident fee has increased from $15 to $20 per year

I can live with $20 bucks.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:40 AM

Turns out the director had no clue or warning or input into this bill.
He stands completely against it, and said basically (reading between the lines) It will pass over his dead body
Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 AM
First Mate

Rep. Jan Malik has removed his name from the bill. I think this one is dead.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Stick a fork in it..................................
Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Imagine that! A politician not taking a bag of money.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM

Word is.............. he didn't even know his name was on the bill as a sponsor!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM

From a reputable source........................
This piece of toilet paper has been used to clean an a$$.
In other words, It's been withdrawn.
Round 1 is over, now for round 2...................................
To hell with jabs, time for the tooth crunching upper cut.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

This is good to hear.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Official Member

this is great news
Old 02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Veteran Elite

Thank God. I also think the only way to connect the tooth crunching uppercut is if we all band together, and let the voices and actions be heard.