braids affect on your guides? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Default braids affect on your guides?

I just started to switch from mono to braid how will it affect the guides on my rods? I have some rods that have stainless guides and some that have ceramic guides which will hold up better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Re: braids affect on your guides?

It can groove the stainless, some lines more and faster then others.
Stainless guide have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. You will occasionally see one used as a stripper guide, but the guides that take the brunt of the strain during a fight are never straight uncoated (Ti) stainless anymore.

Ceramic should be fine. Newer modern braids don't cut guides the way the first ones to come out did.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

I retired my favorite old school telephone pole this past season. 40+ year old brown glass That threw the big stuff best.
I have rebuilt this rod several times and always used the old Chrome plated steel ringed guides. The rod shoots out a cast like nothing I use now, only problem is that the braid cut grooves into the chrome and the cuts acted like a razor blade everytime a fish put stress on it. I lost some really nice plugs on that rod.
I ran a cotton ball around the rings, and low and behold the bottom 4 guides all pulled cotton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Striper Hunter

would you change the guides that are stainless and replace them with ceramic? I have 2 spinning rods that I have had for about 40 yrs one is a fenwick 10 .5fter and the other is a Abu Garcia both have been great rods and I still want to use them. I just bought a 10 .5ft tica for my conventional reel
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
First Mate

aslong as you have titinum guides you will be fine.

or fiji guides
Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Those old rods are more tuned to steel guides.
I have several of those old Brownies that I re-wrapped with SIC fujies, and Forecast Hardloy. They are no where near the rods they were with the big braced chromies.
Actions are significantly lighter, to the point that 1 can't handle half the weight it used to. I used to throw 4 oz. plugs all day long with it, now 2 is kinda pushin it, and I seldom throw anything less than 3.
Use Mono with them, it's what they were made for.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re:for gunny sniper

I want to be sure I understood what you said I appreciate your input> you are saying if I change the guides on my spinning rods ( stainless steel) to ceramic the rod will lose some of its casting ability? I was thinking of changing the tip and the 3 top guides.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM

I was referring to a re-wrap of the entire rod.
The main area of stress on a rod comes at the tip first and the bottom stripper guide.
It would be useless to change out those few guides. You will gain no advantage actually.
The weight, and length of the guide feet are the main reasons the action changes so much when you do a complete overhaul. On the steel guides the feet are more than twice as long as modern guides. The length causes stiffening of the blank along with the thread and epoxy to coat them. The blank is then more limber, thus changing the action completely. The only other option I see would be to almost double the amount of guides to retain the original action.
I love those old glass blanks and wish someone would bring them back.
I have several modern material rods, but the first ones I reach for are more than 40 years old.
Probably the reason I have shoulders like Conan The Barbarian...............
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Gunny, I have to respectfully disagree with this.

"The main area of stress on a rod comes at the tip first and the bottom stripper guide.
It would be useless to change out those few guides. You will gain no advantage actually."

The first few guides handle most of the bend of the rod thus a large amount of stress is on those guides. Look at 90% of the yellow glass Lami surf spinning rods built during the early days of braid. Stainless stripper and sometimes second guide followed by ceramic to the tip.

I can't speak about a brown Fenwick but I have rebuild my yellow Grizzly Fenwick (twice), Harnells, and both E and S glass Lami's and haven't noticed any drop off in performance going from steel ring to ceramic guides. Maybe a little loss of crispness in the tip rebound with the SMB 1143 F e-glass but that rod does have a very soft tip on it.

Aqua,
If you want to retain the exact feel the rod has now you can go with the Titanium (Ti) coated steel guides. they can handle braid and with the exception of being black are almost exact copies of the old steel guides. They hold up well but you will need to keep the welds clean with maybe a bit of wax, as they can get a bit of green corrosion there.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM

Suds, I di-gress, you have a very valid point about the Ti guides. I googled them, because I was unaware of the specs on them. I always thought they were another "ceramic" compound. I think I'm going to look into rebuiling my old favorite tree trunk one more time. All I can think about is hanging my Zee from that rod with 65 lb braid and sending a 4 ounce pencil, or Marauder to china again.
My research on the stripper guide theory comes from fighting a Bass at full drag, The pressure and friction concentrates there and the tip.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 PM
First Mate

I've seen this question somewhere . . .

Anyway I had PP on one of my reels that cut the tip guide after about a year plus. I guess this was due to me hold it up high to with a Daiich jig.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 AM
First Mate

What braids are you guys using for these tests? The older braids were oblong kinda like a football with points. Then as technology changed they became more square. The newest braids are almost round now. It was the edges on the older braids that was cutting your guides. Although I only just started using braid on my surf rods they do have ceramic guides. I have had the original spiderwire and fireline groove the fugi guides on some of my freswater setups. Thats why I quit using them until Suffix came out with their performance braid, which is almost round, now that is what I use on my surf rods. Some here don't like it but I have not had a problem pulling in decent fish through rocks and I use the 30lb. Gunny can attest to this fact. I also use an Okuma reel which has been bashed here but I don't have problems with it either. Just my .02
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM

The guides I am referring to are the older chrome plated steel.
I've used several types of braids in my quest to step into this decade, and found that I was bashing power pro, when it was knicked/grooved guides all along. I have suffix on a smaller rod and like it.
Yeah, I will attest to BYF's claims as a witness to him pulling some really nice Bass out of REALLY rockie areas. The picture in his avatar was taken by me with his camera at Cow Town.