regulation question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Default regulation question

a buddy of mine mentioned this to me and I'm looking to see if this is true or not... obviously the taking of striped bass in federal waters is prohibited. he said however that you are technically not allowed to have a bass in your boat more than 3 miles offshore period. in other words since you can't prove you DIDN'T catch the fish in federal waters you could be fined etc.... is that true? I and many others catch bass off shore or at certain coastal spots that aren't on the bank well further than 3 miles across the cape cod bay. Is this illegal to transfer the fish across CC bay back to Plymouth??.............any thoughts??
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Default Re: regulation question

I M O True
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
First Mate

good question. I wish I knew the answer...
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Cow Catcher

Thats a great question? hope someone can answer it.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Yes there is an answer to that with an addendum to that area. Ill dig it up later.
The eez zone is marked differently there as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 PM
First Mate

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/publi...guide_2008.pdf

Page 33 defines the state waters.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:33 PM
First Mate

I have that guide which does define state waters but it doesn't say anything about bass being taken near federal waters etc... I talked to an old salt about this since I first posted and he said the whole issue is a gray area. he said that while no one can prove you
DIDN'T catch a keeper bass on Stellwagen, unless they see you boat it they can't prove you DID catch it in federal waters either.... I guess it's just like any other run in with law enforcement: if you cooperate they may let you off, if you act like a jerk they will undoubtedly find something to fine you for.....
Old 07-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktherapy
I and many others catch bass off shore or at certain coastal spots that aren't on the bank well further than 3 miles across the cape cod bay. Is this illegal to transfer the fish across CC bay back to Plymouth??.............
Let me first make this disclaimer. The following is speculation based on past research and on information from the NY DEC on questioning the colregs in NY and NJ.

Theoretically if Plymouth was your origin of port and your beyond three miles perpendiculer from your port of origin - Its illegal. Then technically you are beyond the federal boundries with the fish. If you berthed out of the cape within three miles and returned there then it would not be illegal.

This issue also shows up within other state boundries. Whos to say whether your fish was caught in Maine or Mass, or New York or New Jersey? The issue here is also resolved by origin of port. State demarcation lines are referred to as coreg lines nautically.

The individual State colreg boundries are marked on nautical charts.
https://www.stripers247.com/colregs.doc

A digression
Facts on the EEZ for Reference purposes
The 3 mile rule doesnt begin what is known as the EEZ however.
Thats something different.

The Federal EEZ also changes with the states terrain and the obvious differences in land mass. The EEZ is defined as all waters within 200 miles of the coast.
The baseline is defined as a line perpendicular the the tip of the outermost land mass.
A state's territorial sea extends up to 12 nautical miles (22 km) from its baseline.
In the 1980's these boundries were fought over by Canada and the US in court at the Hague in netherlands.
The US has the largest area of EEZ in the world at 4.3M miles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Economic_Zone
Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM
First Mate

On a similiar topic...
I had caught an article in the staten island advance about a week ago saying that They are are making a push to give NY and NJ the same size limits on fish. Alot of boaters from both Ny and NJ both fish the Ambrose channel for stripers and fluke. NY the size for fluke is 20.5 and NJ its 18. For Stripers in NY its 1 at 28 and the next at 40. In NJ it both greater than 28. Can't say that it makes a whole lot of sense. If we are fishing the same waters then the same rules should apply. With any luck, IF they make a change hopefully I'll be able to keep some of these fish I keep givin' up to the Jersey guys.
More likely, jersey guys will get screwed and have their size limits upped to match ours.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Let me first make this disclaimer. The following is speculation based on past research and on information from the NY DEC on questioning the colregs in NY and NJ.

Theoretically if Plymouth was your origin of port and your beyond three miles perpendiculer from your port of origin - Its illegal. Then technically you are beyond the federal boundries with the fish. If you berthed out of the cape within three miles and returned there then it would not be illegal.
This is one reason it is tricky. According to the map in the State's brouchure, if you left Plymouth and headed East You would never leave the Waters of Cape Cod Bay, and the State.

A line roughly from Provincetown West to the middle of Marshfield shows all Waters to the South to be within state boundaries.

Similarly, there is a line running roughly North-northeast, from Scituate to Cape Ann.

If the material provided by the State is to be followed, All of Cape Cod Bay and Massachusetts Bay are fishable for Striped Bass, as they fall within the boundaries as defined by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

The map I linked to can be rotated with a right click to make it easier to read. It is on pages 34 and 35.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Thx Jo.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Thanks for adding your bit as well Jim. I think one thing we all understand is that Government can make even fishing confusing.

I would be lost in Long Island Sound or just about anywhere with 2 states and an EEZ.

I think anyone who takes a few minutes to research before venturing into new waters, would find they are able to act accordingly. The jurastictions are just specific, and vague all at once.