North Shore MA - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM

Default North Shore MA

Hello all, I'm a new member here from Boston MA. Great looking website!

Anyway, I've been spending some time fishing down in RI in the first half of the summer, but I'm ready to hit the surf here in MA as much as possible. The only place I've really fished on the North Shore is Magnolia up by Marblehead. Anyone been around there recently and have any tips? Also any pointers for better areas within reasonable driving distance from Boston?

Thanks all, hope to report some big fish asap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: North Shore MA

Welcome to the site!!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 PM

Anyone been up to Magnolia recently? I've been thinking of heading up there soon to chuck some eels at night. I've only fished with chunk herring there in the past, with decent luck (mostly smalls). Anyone been fishing eels up there? If not, what have they been eating these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
First Mate

Welcome aboard!
You will find that you won't get many responses when you are looking for "spots". But If you ask what to use, when and how to use it, chances are you will get some answers. Including myself, all new people that come here ask that very same question. If you stick around I'm sure you will learn alot... enough that you won't have to ask for spots, you'll be able to track them down on your own.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Yes, I was reading through the site rules and saw that site naming is frowned upon. Sorry about that...

Anyway, I'll change my question a little. I'm doing some fishing on the North Shore next week, and on the South Shore of RI this weekend. I haven't gotten out much this season unfortunately, so I'm trying to figure out my game plan. I know that the boat guys have been doing ok on live shad down in RI where I will be fishing, but thats not going to work for me on the surf. I was thinking eels or some chunk bait, along with the usual plugs and calcutta minnows I like to use. Any tips on what live/chunk bait to go with down there right now? The same question goes for the north shore of MA. I've yet to land a keeper bass this summer, and that needs to change ASAP!

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Hi Scarfo welcome to the board.

I would sling some live eels. Its certainly worth a shot for some bigger fish. They work anywhere.
Cut macks is probably a good bet but just check with the guys in the tackle shops when your there.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Veteran Elite

Welcome aboard, if you read the posts and see what other people use for techniques and bait spots don't matter as much just follow the masses or scout for some of your own spots that's part of the adventure.Enjoy and good luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
First Mate

I have not been fishing there in years. But working an eel around the rocks sounds like a great plan and if things are slow you can head across the beach (eels, bait, plugs).

You can also buy bait cheap in Gloucester from the guys that service the fishing boats. One of the more successful "big" bass fisherman I knew used to buy a whole bucket of fresh herring and would set up a chum line off a rock point in Annisquam. (Though you would have to scout this one out in advance).

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Cow Catcher