fishing the tide in the merrimack - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 AM

Default fishing the tide in the merrimack

When fishing in the merrimack river near salisbury beach ( i think it is called the toothpick) or up by the bridge when is the best time to fish in reguards to the tide?

This is my first post to the board and I am sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before.

Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: fishing the tide in the merrimack

Welcome aboard tourville! I'm not familiar with your area, but I'm sure someone who is will be along shortly. Enjoy the site!!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Hi Tourville welcome

I doubt you'll get many answers for specific locations. My advice would be to scout the area at low tide and have a look at the underwater structure - Fish it at different tides and hours if at all possible.
Each area changes according to tides sometimes the next day after a storm sometimes over a long period of time. for example.
Top of the tide two hours on the drop produced for me consistently. Then nada nada and nada. Logs are showing that the bite has changed to the incoming.
Just when you think you have it figured out it changes.
The point is guys have done lots of hard earned homework and arent likely to post it on an open forum. The best way to find out is to fish it.
A pier is likely to have fish holding around it at all tides.
But after having said all that I too am not familair with the area . It may not be so specific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been fishing in that area for about 5 years and have found that an hour before and after high and low tide is when the fishing sucks, but I have never caught 2 keepers in one day so I could easily be doing something wrong. I was just checking to see if anyone else has had the same type of luck in that area.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've caught fish( as large as 48lbs) in those same areas at every stage of the tide, including dead low.... it often depends on tide height and movement of bait... only time on the water will give you the exact answers you seek....

the tide differance from the Rt1 bridge ( in Newburyport/Salisbury) and the badgers/tooth pick is 20 to as much as 40 minutes... depending on the tide height,river run off and weather influences, some time that time frame makes a big differeance on when and how the rips and currents react and when the fish will be there.... it's all a learning game one that I've been studying for 38 years now.. and I'm still learning.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Hey tourville, welcome aboard.

I don't fish the toothpick a lot but you are right, generally you will have better luck when the water is moving. Couple of thoughts on the slack tide. There are some nice holes, get to know these, even at low tide they will some times hold fish.

At the low tide get a bearing on location of the rocks, then at high try an eel rigged with a balloon (I use a fishfinder with a rubberband for a stop) to keep the eel from digging in. And just let it drift among the rocks.

I've also had a lot of fun on the flats with between the jetty and the toothpick. I'll just swing by at night and listen, you can often hear the fish chasing bait.

Note: the drift and the toothpick area always seem too be a couple degrees cooler than the other side of the river.

I'm starting to ramble, hope this helps. Good luck
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
First Mate

And I do have to correct you. Even under the most horrendous conditions fishing never sucks