Anyone else? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 12-23-2005, 05:20 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Great thread fellas, keep it up.

Just dont make me hafta edit any more posts that contain questionable language ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2005, 10:45 AM

Gunny, I agree with everything you've said. The real point of my previous long-winded post was that morals can be taught using many backdrops besides fishing and hunting. To be honest, my response was somewhat directed at Jeff. I saw something in his post that reminded me of my relationship with my daughter. He recounted that his older daughter no longer puts great value in the fishing/hunting experience. What I was trying to tell him was that he shouldn't force this upon her. His job as a parent, as was mine, is to find another venue as a backdrop where he can continue to bond, teach, and mentor.

For my daughter and me, this became gymnastics and cheerleading, something that interested her. I had to make a conscious decision here since these were not my interests. Never having been involved in Gymnastics and cheerleading (Jim took away my tutu...inside joke) put me in an awkward position, unlike fishing that was part of me for 30 years. I had to figure out what my role could be, besides just being a chauffer. This took effort.

Things I did that allowed me to really feel a part of her chosen activity were to build her a low profile balance beam together with assembling a series of workout mats in our backyard. I also watched her and her coach very closely until I knew the basics. Then I worked with her in our backyard. Even when we were up at our beach house, I would take a rake down to the beach, level off an area, and work with her on her back-hand-springs. Doing these things allowed me to really participate in her chosen activity and continue to bond, teach, and mentor. One thing that this new activity did very quickly was it allowed my daughter to develop confidence in me...that I wouldn't let her fall, something that fishing did not do directly.

We start by involving our children in our own self-serving activities. But as our children grow and develop their own interests and values, we must adjust if we are to continue to bond, teach, and mentor. That's the message in my madness.

Edit: I wanted to add one funny story along these lines. We were down at the beach practicing her back-hand-springs. I was trying to advise her that she needed more height on her take-off to avoid finishing the move on her knees. She says Daddy can you show me? I thought to myself, I can do a back-dive off a dock or boat...all I need to do is land on my hands and then push off to complete the rotation to my feet. I can do this. Forgetaboutit...almost broke my freakin neck. Gave me a new respect for what she could do.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:40 PM

BTW Jim, I like my avatar as is. Ignore the tutu comment.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDb
I thought to myself, I can do a back-dive off a dock or boat...all I need to do is land on my hands and then push off to complete the rotation to my feet. I can do this. Forgetaboutit...almost broke my freakin neck.
That had to be just tooo funny.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 AM

As I grew up I played Hockey(still do), Baseball, and Football, lettered in all three. I also introduced my son (actually Step, but he's been mine since 5) to all these, although he took some interest at first, for some reason he fell in love with wrestling! Oh God I thought, the one sport I knew nothing about! Off to the library. I learned the rules, the moves, and went, and go to every match. He is a top 3 ranked wrestler for the last four years in his varsity division weight. He is still my hunting/fishing partner, but wrestling practice on saturday mornings during the season is first priority. which brings me full circle to spending time in the outdoors with your kids, PRIORITY is one of the top lessons learned, not by the activity itself, but by what it takes to enable you to participate. It takes money and time, both need to be worked for.
My son is graduating early from High School in order to start college early as well. His goal? Rhode Island Conservation officer! Can't wait to pin his badge on his new uniform, as he has already promised me.
I have spent many hours with other kids interested in what I do, some have taken to it, some have not. I also have a nephew that used to practically live at my house. He and my son were best friends as they grew up. My nephew is 2 years older, and as he grew up, in the time he was away from me, started to get involved in things I aboslutely ban from my presence. My son started to experiment with him as well. We had a tough 2 years, we got through it. My nephew did not though. I have not seen him in more than 3 years. I wish I could get through to him, but he needs to learn on his own. When and if the light comes on, and he comes back to me, he will be welcome with open arms and understanding.
I don't count him as my failure, he is a victim of his surroundings and a lack of guidance by others around him.
There will always be a rod waiting for him in the boat, all he has to do is ask.