What are your tactics after rain. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Striper Hunter

Default What are your tactics after rain.

This question goes out to everyone, but you in particular Joe!

After we have several days of steady on and off rain (like we have had this week) and there is a lot of runoff water coming down the river (the Merrimack in my case), what are your tactics for targetting Stripers? Do you notice that their behavior changes and they switch to a certain pattern in response? Is there a particular method of fishing for them that you switch over to? I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 01:27 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: What are your tactics after rain.

it depends on how much silt/mud/debris is with it... the fish dont seem to mind the fresh.. but they dislike the silt.. it seems to effect them less this time of year as it would in late July or August...when the water temps become uncomfortable..
if I find the fish are not in their traditional haunts... I'll fish the salt lines where the water mixes... I've done extremly well doing this when others that tried to "stick it out" in the stained water struggled...what I wont do ...is swim mackerel in it... they die as soon as they hit the water... BTW... fishing was pretty good last night until I got too soggy to cast... all on swimming plugs..
Old 06-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Joe, I always appreciate the knowledge that you share. Does anyone else have similar or different tactics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Official Member

In stained runoff water, I have had better success with white colored offerings, which tend to stand out a bit more for the bass. In the mouth, I've found 1-2oz white bucktails with an 8" white grub/5" fluke trailer/white rind or a leadhead with plain white 5" soft plastic fluke have saved many a day when silty water masked many of my usual colored patterns... especially when bass are down in the darker depths during daytime.

Another tip (courtesy of a recent addition of local fishing mag) I'll pass on which I tried out successfully just the other day.. Found the bass were holding right on the bottom. Picked up a few over a couple hours, but overall they did not seem to be actively feeding.

The tip: Using a bucktail (with braid).. violently jig the buckail up, then let it sink. This motion is kind of like the old "Jimmy Houston TV hookset on mono" and should really strain the forearm. The point is to zip the jig up a few feet, then drop... kind of like a baitfish in its death throes. Double-tap variations work too. The strike seemed to occur on the drop.

As soon as I started this technique, the fish started hitting a bucktail they had for the most part ignored. Nobody around me was catching anything.. from shore or boat. This technique produced 6 fish in a half hour. Though the author recommended using this on a bucktail without a trailer(due to the friction of the flapping tail), it worked fine for me on a 2oz SPRO white w/8" grub.

Good luck.

-rostrata
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
In stained runoff water, I have had better success with white colored offerings, which tend to stand out a bit more for the bass. In the mouth, I've found 1-2oz white bucktails with an 8" white grub/5" fluke trailer/white rind or a leadhead with plain white 5" soft plastic fluke have saved many a day when silty water masked many of my usual colored patterns... especially when bass are down in the darker depths during daytime.

Another tip (courtesy of a recent addition of local fishing mag) I'll pass on which I tried out successfully just the other day.. Found the bass were holding right on the bottom. Picked up a few over a couple hours, but overall they did not seem to be actively feeding.

The tip: Using a bucktail (with braid).. violently jig the buckail up, then let it sink. This motion is kind of like the old "Jimmy Houston TV hookset on mono" and should really strain the forearm. The point is to zip the jig up a few feet, then drop... kind of like a baitfish in its death throes. Double-tap variations work too. The strike seemed to occur on the drop.

As soon as I started this technique, the fish started hitting a bucktail they had for the most part ignored. Nobody around me was catching anything.. from shore or boat. This technique produced 6 fish in a half hour. Though the author recommended using this on a bucktail without a trailer(due to the friction of the flapping tail), it worked fine for me on a 2oz SPRO white w/8" grub.

Good luck.

-rostrata

This makes total sense to me, because alot of times when i fish fresh water with a jig, or most other baits of that nature. They always seem to hit it when it is falling. Either right after it is casted, or as it falling down from the retrieval..
I will keep this in mind as a back up plan next time i am slugging the jig out right out there.

I have good luck with a white smiling bucktail, with a watermelon sluggo attached to it
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Grasshoppah

i like to find clean water over structure. i hate the river even when its clean