Bait fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Catch&Releaser

Default Bait fishing

What do type of ocean floor conture do you think best attracts bait fish like mackeral. I am knew to jigging with my sabiki rig and have acces to a boat. I am in the process of learning my how to's of fishing with live bait. im open to suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Bait fishing

Schools of macks move around, so either look for a congagration of boats, or use youre fish finder to find balls of bait. i was out yesterday in northshore area, lots of macks around, but we had to look for them, i,d find a bait ball on the fish finder, drop down the sabikis, get 6--12 before they,d move, then find them again. some times they stay in an area, i guesss it depends on what there eating
Old 05-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Catch&Releaser

I've been using a sabiki rig the past two days over what i expect to be bait on the sonar. I think the size is too small for macks..... is this possible? Is there a size that are for shad only due to hook size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Ive found that chumming when you find them will keep them around longer. I can usually fill the bait tank without moving to much if i keep a steady flow going. I use anything from the smaller #4 hook sabiki on up to the diamiond jigs they seem to hit just about anything. Most areas have a few hot spots and the local guys are always there when the macs are so as mention before just look for the pile of boats jigging. Good luck
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Mackerel are pelagic cousins of the blue fin tuna, and like BFT must continualy swim to stay alive...Mackerel eat a variaty of small fish and invertabrates, but their favorite food is sand eels...

Mackerel can be found over open water but are most easily targeted along ledges and under water drop offs as they cruise for food... anchoring and forming a chum line will keep them interested, they are most easily taken under low light conditions but can be caught mid day... when the traditional sabiki and mackerl jigs fail to work, a small single size 6 gold hook tipped with a strip of herring or a small sand eel fuished on light tackle ( 10 lb test) will catch them when regular methods fail....
Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Grasshoppah

you need a rounded livewell too keep them alive. a bit of searching will tell you where the hotspots are. i usually catch them in the top 10-15 feet of water. sometimes one stop will fill the boat other days a bit of searching is needed. good luck. my favorite part of the day is usually making bait.if they are easy to find that day
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Catch&Releaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbernier74 View Post
you need a rounded livewell too keep them alive. a bit of searching will tell you where the hotspots are. i usually catch them in the top 10-15 feet of water. sometimes one stop will fill the boat other days a bit of searching is needed. good luck. my favorite part of the day is usually making bait.if they are easy to find that day
I understand bait stick in the upper water column....and i;ve have been trying to catch macks in 20 ft. of water and havnt been hittin. How deep is the bottom for the bait your going after?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Grasshoppah

depends really...sometimes 20 feet sometimes 100 feet. best bet is to get out before sun up and look for a ton of boats jigging that's where the fish are.
Honestly i have about 5 places i check then i run out to the isle of shoals as a last resort. stop by a local bait shop buy some sabiki's and a bunch of other crap....drop some coin. then ask where to get macks
Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
swabbie

I troll a few rigs with 3-6oz jigs for the weight as I cruz around looking for them. If you mark bait/macks on the finder then stop and jig over them. Like those guys mentioned, adding some chum can keep them around. Mix up menhaden oil with oatmeal, sand, and ground up bait and drop a bit over every few minutes to keep them around. Same goes for harbor pollack. They are usually in the deeper water near the outer islands in the harbor...
Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 AM
First Mate

give em chum and they will come
Old 06-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Been catching more of pollack then mackeral this year where I fish and the the stripers are loven em!!