New York Harbor Pollution and the Striper's ability to smell - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Official Member

Default New York Harbor Pollution and the Striper's ability to smell

New York Harbor and its surrounding waters are known to be heavily polluted, and I have had first hand experience in this (after dropping my bait off a pier, I have frequently encountered oil on my sinker, line, and hooks). After reading about the Striper's keen sense of smell and the detailed approaches some take in order to ensure their baits are not spoiled with the various scents of one's hands, I was wondering if this approach would matter in the harbor. Once I throw my bait in, it will come into contact with various other items of crap, and spoil its scent, wouldn't it? Or have the harbor Striper's overcome this pollution and have a very refined sense of smell? Also, could this point to the greater effectiveness of lures in these waters if smell is not the dominant factor?
One more thing, how the fishing been for you harbor guys this year, overall (the Tautog fishing has been good so far at least.)

BTW, I have tried searching for this topic among the threads and google. Nothing, except for a story about how pollution affects a salmon's sense of smell and ability to find its native spawning grounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 PM
take a kid fishing

Default Re: New York Harbor Pollution and the Striper's ability to smell

Your description of the waters of NY Harbor is way out of line with reality. Typical visibility at this time of year is 6 to 10 feet. There is certainly a significant amount of pollution trapped in the mud at the bottom of the Harbor, but the water is the cleanest it's been in about 200 years.

And yes, stripers have an incredible sense of smell. At this time of year you're probably better off fishing with shad jigs around the rocks of Manhattan. A half to one ounce jig head with a four inch shad body will catch you some fish. A moderate to slow retrieve works well. Good Luck!
Staten Island, New York
Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 AM
cityfisherman

Default Re: New York Harbor Pollution and the Striper's ability to smell

well i did good last week 40 in fish 25 lbs on the grip and got lots of ling and white perch and a surprize two small winter flounder so its bin good to me as of late