Few More - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
LunkHead

Default Few More

Click image for larger version

Name:	swimmas.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	10052

A few more from the cave, these were part of a batch that a few were given away, a few were wrecked during epoxy, and these were left.

Made 6 of the medium sized surfsters, I'm left with 3, 2 of them I tried a clear coat over the paint, a really sexy black/purple/bronze scale paint job, and the clear coat reacted badly with the etex. Lesson learned, into the trash went that can.
The juniors were pretty much a guess for me, they have belly and tailweights, after trying them with just the belly they were a little tailhappy.
And 1 more fatboy swimmer.
I've got around 40 plugs hanging from this winter's work, and another 20 or so in process, but fishing season is looming large on the horizon, I may get out this weekend to try my luck, and if that goes OK plugbuilding will take a definite hit.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Few More

nice looking stuff Ed, what did you use for a clear???..... alot of clears have acetone in them, but as long as you dont touch the plug until it's dry they usualy are fine...I've been through a bunch of them, I went back to my roots... lacquer... in not only provides a tough durable clear, it doesnt react with the paint... at least not in the last two years I have been using it..BTW I use mostly Delta ceramacoat, only using the premix stuff ( createx) for chin splashes or when only a small amount of pait is being used...

Here's a shot of a Jr for ya....I think this was complements of Band saw Eddie!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmsa[1].JPG
Views:	61
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	10053  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
LunkHead

Hey roc,
The clear I used was an acrylic graphics sealer that I was given from work, our now defunct sign dept used it for sealing their work, I thought I'd give it a shot, and it shot me back. I have used some Createx colors, and black is one of them, that always feel slightly tacky, no matter how long I dry them, so I wanted the clear to seal the color. I just sprayed some Krylon clear over a transparent teal createx job so I'll see soon how that works.

I love the picture of the jr, that through wire hole kills me, I just did some Dannies that I should have drilled along those lines, I wound up with just a bit more swivel hanging out of the plug than I would like.
I have pretty good luck through drilling on the lathe, hardly ever miss, but that would require some pretty good fixtures to duplicate every time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Ed, I've been doing all my off center stuff that way for a few years now, I drill from the tail end first, then mark my lip slot, I then drill a shallow pre hole in the general angle I want the wire to run, this allows me to use the pin and lip slot to align the plug in the fixture, using the fixture that I made I install the plug and cut my belly holes, after the belly holes are cut, using a hand drill, I drill the front hole into the front belly hole, once your set up to do it, it is quick... I'll post some pictures of it tonight seeing I just happen to have a dozen 40's that I am working on and they are prime candidtates for this manuver...
Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM
LunkHead

Sweet!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

here ya go Ed.. first drill from the tail as far as the drill will go..lately, I've fallen in love with the 5/32 drill bit.. drill straight, and makes a nice snug fit on the nose gromet.. no fighting..

now cut your lip slot, my table top band saw is perfect for the job, the slot in the table is a little wider than a standard table, so the plug rides in the "track" straight and true every time..

next, place you lip and mark with and awl

now remove the lip and drill about 3/16 of an inch in, or just enough to allow the pin on the fixture to align the hole and lip slot... slip in the tail stock a proceede to your drill press..

once the belly holes are drilled, use a 12" bit to finish the rear hole,using a hand drill, now look into the front hole and approximate the angle needed to drill up and into the ottom of the front hole... it's easy and you now have a swivel that isnt dangleing down like a giant elephant c***....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 cutting the lip slot.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	10060   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 marking the through hole.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	10061   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 pre drilling.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	10062   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 the jig.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	10063   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 installing the plug.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	10064  

Name:	6 drilling 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	10065   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 drilling 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	10066   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 drilling the through hole.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	10067   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 test fit.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	10068  
Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM
First Mate

That's a great tip on the through wire. Is that a standard off the shelf step drill for your hook hanger holes? How does the pin on the front of your fixture work?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
That's a great tip on the through wire. Is that a standard off the shelf step drill for your hook hanger holes? How does the pin on the front of your fixture work?
yes McMaster carr.Pn. 2952A56..

the pin centes the plug in the box, the sheet metal keeps it square to the lip slot, I use a pre set fence on my drill press, so it takes me litterly 5 seconds to blast both those holes....
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
LunkHead

Looks like it works great roc, I'll have to give it some thought, I'd have to change some of my processes.....I still leave the square ends on after the bodies are turned, and I'm getting good results on my belly holes and most through holes.
Love the drill bit too, I may have to splurge on one of those, I'm a cheap SOB so I've been grinding a lot of bits to make them into brad point style bits for tailweights and such, just grinding an 1/8 pilot onto the end.