Possible cause for low striper catches this year? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
First Mate

Default Possible cause for low striper catches this year?

Chime in with your theories. I read that some believe that the commercial netters are taking a huge toll. Others believe that it's the bad weather we've had the past few years.Personally I feel that it's just cyclic. There were large numbers of smaller fish caught this year which to me indicated that there has been alot of successful spawning over the past few years. We have however had some weird spring weather the past few years and maybe that has put the fish in a tizzy. There seemes to be an adundance of herring this year- just not in their usual haunts. This increase is probably due to the moratorium placed on the use of herring in Massachuest. I know I had a very difficult time catching my herring from shore every time ( thanks alot DEC!!) but guys in boats seemed to fair better. Whatever your opinion, make sure you join the efforts to make the striper a gamefish. It can only help our cause. Also, watch for more herring info from the DEC. The current emergency rules expire on the seventh of JUne I believe so after that, they'll have to re-examine the issue. Hopefully they take into account the replies and emails that anglers sent in ( you DID send in an email voicing your opinion, right??) and realize that the rules were very unnecessary and unfair to sportsmen/retailers. The intent of the law was to keep anglers from introducing VHS infected bait into a system where they didn't already exist. But the herring in that river/streams ALL COME FROM THE SAME PLACE so as long as we were catching them and using them in the Hudson and it's tributaries, there should have been NO problems. How many of us broke the law this year? Probably around 90% but did we hurt the fishery any- NO! Here's to next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Re: Possible cause for low striper catches this year?

We had a good numbers year , but there size was down some. I am giving it one more shot this weekend (because they are still here) might be smaller ones, but hey they are fun.

I'm going with the weather factor. Just when the 1st decent run showed up we got colder weather and gods know how many inches of rain . That screwed things up for 2 straight weeks !! Than it took some time for the water to warm up. Once it did it jumped up to the 60's quick.
This past weekend dropped it back down again too. They were very scattered this year, and really needed to keep moving to find small pods of them.

IMO
Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy Re: Possible cause for low striper catches this year?

I know last year i caught 38 stripers this year i caught 16 thats it.. so WE MIGHT CATCH A STRAY OR TWO FROM HERE ON OUT BUT THE RUN IS DEFIENETLY COMING TO A END UNLESS YOU HEAD TO TROY BUT EVEN THEN THERE ARE MILLIONS OF OTHER BAIT UP THERE. .....I JUST HOPE NEXT YEAR IS BETTER BUT EVERY YEAR IT IS DOWN GRADING SO WE WILL SEE .

UNTILL NEXT TIME GOOD FISHING EVERYONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake - thats what Granpa used to tell me - so I think I was fishin the other 90% with no fish ...
Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
First Mate

seems to me that encon likes to bust balls when it comes to the weekend fisherman but the commerical netters get to rape the seas!!!!!! soon we will be in trouble and just happy to see one swim by.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Captain Booty

IT'S all about the $$$$$!!!!!! And IT sucks!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

What are you guys talking about ??????????

I had a great season, sounds like you are finding an excuse why YOU did not catch fish. I am too against the commercial fishing, but not blamming them for an "off" year.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Official Member

We must have been fishing in the 10% of the river this year.Not alot of big fish but the numbers were there....
Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
We must have been fishing in the 10% of the river this year.Not alot of big fish but the numbers were there....
and when we were not in the that 10%, we adjusted and found them !
It's all about learning ... each year it's just another weapon. Next year we will get even more buddy
Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Bassinbrian is right "It's all about learning" - Improvise, adapt, and over come... you spend your time on the water and adjust your tactics and you'll get into a fish.... I was just trying to be light hearted about not gettin to a fish this year (so far) ... had a stay in the hospital and now a boat trade in is holdin me up , and now for the "bust on" ----- Chugbug {aka}- Giudici21 call meeeeee....
Old 05-25-2007, 06:30 PM
First Mate

say what you want but the numbers have dropped off in past years!