That time of year again... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default That time of year again...

When my thoughts turn from fish to wood...There are still fish here, but they are safe from me... I've had enough....

As per my usual fall ritual I have once again upgraded my shop.. here are a few of the renovations.....

First I relocated the the dust collector, the first stage collection from the lathe, is housed under the main grinding/sanding bench..

Then I replaced all the corrogated hose with smoothe bore PVC 4" conduit ( with an internal ground wire) this gave me an increase of approx 20% in suction, even with the longer run...

I added a big gulp lathe hood to replace the home made hood and added a floor sweep ( controlled by a blast gate) in front of the lathe on the floor...

I repalced the pancake type 1hp air compressor with a 17 gallon 1.1 oiless system..

I relocated the stock shelf and labeled all the sand paper.. I then added a plastic table and backed it up with a peg board to keep my sanding discs/belts and saw blades on....

I added another bench on the far side of the drill station and permently attached my router table to it, the same bech houses the planer and jointer.... a home made rod lathe also adorns the table...the plastic table can be slid into place to facilitate building longer rods of over 7'....

The spray booth got upgraded, I made a plastic booth and placed a range hood on it substituting the motor with an explosion proof one, filter are sprayed with spray adhesive and attached to the original grease filters...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2793.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	7937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2795.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	7939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2799.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	7944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2814.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2806.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	7950  

Name:	Picture 2725.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	7951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2728.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7952  
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: That time of year again...

Looks great. Does the 4" PVC increase suction due to fewer leaks... or are there other reasons.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
LunkHead

Welcome Back Roc,
You've been conspicuously absent, I'm sure the eel populations are plummeting.
Nice shop, a little too clean for my liking tho.....
And, no fridge? Seems like most of your pics have a cold frosty one somewhere in sight.

Water temps 69 here, schoolies are showing, and it's almost showtime. Time to try out all those swimmers I made last year, for real.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
Looks great. Does the 4" PVC increase suction due to fewer leaks... or are there other reasons.

Turbulance... I knew it was a factor, but totaly under estimated just how much it effected it... now ALL the blast gates whistle when closed... even the ones 30' away....The original hose ( bought with a kit) was reinforced PVC with spiral wire internaly.... it is best served to supply the drops...I knew better but ignored what I knew in the name of

The PVC hose you see in the back ground was what I originaly had used... NG!
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

now wish i had come up to see firsthand.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
Welcome Back Roc,
You've been conspicuously absent, I'm sure the eel populations are plummeting.
Nice shop, a little too clean for my liking tho.....
And, no fridge? Seems like most of your pics have a cold frosty one somewhere in sight.

Water temps 69 here, schoolies are showing, and it's almost showtime. Time to try out all those swimmers I made last year, for real.

Well my company was sold, they just about took away everyones internet and put spies on all computers... until last weekend, I had no net the house, not that i would have been on line.. fishing was white hot for the last two months, it's becoming much more spotty for the big girls( still a few around and lots to the north), I've been fishing the surf ( and rock hopping ) for about a month now, I pulled the boat two weeks ago... I'm tired and have had enough.... there are some real mamoth fish headed your way... I hope for you guy's sake they run the inside..time for this old gaffer to heal up, get some sleep and look forward to next season....

Here's a few that fell victim to some hunks of wood fitted with a hook...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 2780.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	7954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2754.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	7955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2777.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	7956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2781.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	7957  
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

is that the eely i got? got the yellow darter bitten off by bluefish in montauk saturday. i did not expect bluefish in the melee and was just friggen beside myself! took a 13# or better bluefish with ed whites blurple swimmer (lost that one to boofish as well) omg, what do i do with this devil? give it to a camper.and as it was the korkers cup weekend jim got results of winner (52# bass) and the bluefish that got 1st place was 8# (hadda be bigger but jim says i woulda got it if we were entered) i threw that thing at these campers as soon as i landed it. i woulda slit it's throat after having lost a plug to them devils! jim took a pic of it and god i think i was jinxed cause i hurt my knee in the wash and was not on any rocks. the best was i left the flyrod home as i thought i would be in a crowd but jim and i fished spots he could negotiate/ lots of fish after anchovies and we were never in a good spot to hit fish as they were keyed in on the rainfish. but came close/ sudsy did well as we met up with him at paulies. was just a sheer pleasure to fish with jim at montauk. we had fun. met some really good bass junkies/ a few faragut guys that were kind/ cold pouring rain roc! i was in my element then. i may not have gotten a bass (*montauk and no bass?) i know, but jim gave me the nickle tour as he knows my times there didn't get everywhere. come down roc.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
First Mate

great job on the shop roc- wish i had 1/3 of your organizing skills (1/10 on the fishing)
Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 PM
LunkHead

Roc, the fish look friggin' awesome with plugs hanging out of their mouths.....

zim,
Even tho you let a bluefish take the plug away, I'm still glad to hear you got a fish on it, does my heart good.

It looks like I'll be missing M this year (Dammit!!), but it looks like things are ready to pop down here soon.

Tight lines everybody!

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Joe speaking of wood. I was elated to fish your darter - it performed awesome at M. Great swimmer. I have to say the bluefish were fun on it. Not a long enough time for fishing. So Im heading back very soon.

Paulie Im pretty sure the top bluefish was 8 if for no other reason than someone bothering to weigh in a coctail gator.

Willie Young from Montauk surfcasters took top honors with a 52 # bass. 2cd and third was 26 and 22 for the weekend.
The fish were on rainfish. With guys picking a few on bucktails.

Im not home yet so i may try the island before I head west.
If you decide to come down this way Joe Id like to take you out east or south for some fun after you rest up a bit. I think I broke another finger or two last night. Oh well - they still bend.
Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Zim...That is a slim eel plug that I've been making for a few years now, I sent a prototype to Jim, not sure if I sent one to you, the final version seems irresistable to bass feeding on sand eels or any slim bait like spike Mackerel or american eels....

Ed... nothing like an action shot to get the blood stirring....

Jim... Glad you liked the darter..I cant remember which size I sent you, I think it was the 3 0z ones.. I make 4 different styles and weights....it took alot of time to get them right but I'm happy with the results....

Maybe this will be the year I get back down there... the house is in good shape and ready for winter so I realy have no excuses...

A couple more "action" photos.... I've got more at home in my camera.... someday I'll down load them..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 521.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	7962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 511.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	7963  
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Roc,
Looks amazing...seriously. I am hoping to get mine built this year and if it is 1/20th what yours is I will be happy. For me getting a dust collector hooked well to the lathe is most important and it will be in my basements so not just for health reasons but don't want all that dust up in the house..
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

wow..is all i got. nice fat fish and amazing attention to detail on the organized shop. as usual roc, outstanding.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 AM

Roc - could you be any more anal retentive
And I say that in a good way . I wish my shop looked like that (it don't)

Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
JWillie Young from Montauk surfcasters took top honors with a 52 # bass.
I saw that fish in the lot. 52# 12 oz - It was a PIG !