Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Live Eels for bait ?

Tags
bait eels live
8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  aquaman 
#1 ·
How do you hook these things to present ?

#3 ·
Try a search, this topic has been covered a million times. The Short answer is to use a circle hook maybe 6 or 7/0 snell it with mono tie a swivel at 18 inches insert tie the leader onto your running line Hook the eel under the jaw and out the eye toss it out there and stay in touch with it by keeping your rod tip up and line tight reel in slowly as the eel swims around to keep it from balling up.

#4 ·
Some other tips when using eels.

When reeling in do so as slowly as possibly. Keep your rod tip straight up.

When you feel the 1st strike this is typically the striper stunning the eel and then he turns back and takes it. So when you feel this 1st strike stop reeling and slowly tip your rod down towards the water. When you feel the next strike you set the hook as hard as you can

I prefer a 6/0 or 7/0 octopus hook and crush the barbs. Crushing the barbs will make it easier to unhook the fish after it's landed and thereby giving it a better chance to survive when you release it. So long as you keep your rod tip up while reeling it in you'll have no problems with the barbs being crushed

Be careful when reeling in because as the eel gets close to where you are standing it can actually feel heavier and almost as though you are getting a nibble and if you set hard you could have an eel ( and sharp hook ) flying at your face.

Also make sure once you hook on your eel to get him in the water quickly otherwise he'll tie himself in knots around your line

#10 ·
If i'm throwing an eel in deep water like around an inlet, or in strong current, I'll go with a slightly shorter leader, about 2', and add an egg sinker onto the main line in front of the leader swivel.

#9 ·
Grab it by the tail and bash it into a rock. I always retrieve the first cast a bit quicker than the rest to settle the eel down a bit too.

#11 ·
I don't use circles, crush my barbs or use more than a 5/0 live bait Gami since someone showed me the correct way to eel. And I wouldn't use weight above the leader if using braid. With an egg you will lose on the cast and with a rubber core you will get tangles on your leader if the weight is just above the leader. I have also always done better with a very live eel. To keep them from wrapping I just shake the shit out of my leader once the eel is hooked until I can drop it in the water before casting. BTW big eels don't tangle as much as the smaller ones. Big eels, small hooks, F-C, and rubber-core weight attached 1/4 way down the F-C leader if needed.thumbsup.gif

#12 ·
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showpost.php?p=119535&postcount=4

Like said there are a bunch of threads and posts regarding eels. Plus when done fishing you can then BBQ them-they are yummy-Unagi

Also like said I don't care for circles w/ eels. I prefer a octopus or baitholder. If there is a good current retreive slow and let the eel and current do their work. When hooking if you get a monkey fist just give it a wack or tweak it.

Also when done with the eels and or if you have any that die, don't throw them out. Do a search on this site for eel skin-Roccus a few good ones. You can dry/salt them and then use on a plug. They also work well this way and you also get about every pennies worth out of those suckers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.