San Luis Reservoir - Oneil Forebay - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM

Default San Luis Reservoir - Oneil Forebay

San Luis Lake Facts
Location: in the foothills of the western San Joaquin Valley near Pacheco Pass off Highway 152,
eight miles west of I-5.
Size: The main reservoir holds 2,027,840 acre-feet of water when full. The San Luis Joint-Use
Complex serves the California State Water Project and federal Central Valley Project (CVP).
The state capacity is currently 1,062,180 acre-feet, while the federal capacity is 965,660
acre-feet. The shoreline is 65 miles and the surface area is 12,250 acres. The lake is 274
feet at its deepest.
Landlocked Record Gallery picture

Oneil Forebay San Luis reservoir
California
Hank Ferguson set the world landlocked striped bass all tackle record of 67 lb. 8 oz.
O'Neill Forebay, the forebay of the main reservoir, in 1992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 AM
no0bie

Default Re: San Luis reservoior facts

Man does any1 on this site ever fish at san luis reservoir??
Old 12-18-2006, 12:58 AM

Hi noob. welcome to the site.
If they do nobodys postin. losta lurkers.
Glad to see you posting to say hello.
There are a couple of people here from your area but not much activity in the west coast forum.
A few guys post here and there.
Things might pick up in the spring again.
San Luis is an awesome place to fish. More people should give it a go.
It is said to be very windy there. As a matter of fact there is a wind waring light at the park entrance in Basalt Bay.

San Luis Reservoir was constructed as a storage reservoir for the federal Central Valley Project and the California State Water Project. It stores runoff water from the Delta that would otherwise flow into the ocean. The water arrives through the California Aqueduct and the Delta-Mendota Canal, and is pumped from the O’Neil Forebay into the main reservoir during the winter and spring. The Los Banos Creek Reservoir was built to prevent storm runoff from flooding the canals.
Striped Bass draw the majority of anglers to San Luis. Drifting live jumbo minnows or mudsuckers from a boat is an increasingly popular method for catching fish, particularly in the fall and winter when the water cools down. Top water fishing with Zara Spooks, Pencil Poppers and Pop-Rs can be very productive in the spring, summer and fall. Fishing Zoom Flukes and jigs can also yield lots of stripers.
Bank anglers find success using anchovies, jumbo minnows and mudsuckers in the Dinosaur Point and Basalt areas of the main lake and in the O'Neill Forebay. Shore fishing with Rat-L-Traps and top water lures can also be excellent, particularly during the fall.
Channel Catfish provide a sleeper fishery for anglers fishing in the spring and summer throughout the lake's coves. Toss mackerel, anchovies and stink baits to entice the cats. Fish in the 10-25 pound range are possible here.
The main lake and forebay also offer Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Bluegill and even an occasional White Sturgeon to to anglers, but few anglers target these species.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: San Luis reservoir facts

Sorry, to get back sooo late. I often fish san luis res. Most of the time I'm off of the bank at night, but I have gone on a boat a few times. I'm not sure what information I might be able to help you with or if your even looking for information, but I'll be sure to get back here to see if you've posted any questions.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Official Member

Question San Luis or O'Neil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraenii View Post
I might be able to help you with or if your even looking for information, but I'll be sure to get back here to see if you've posted any questions.
Hey, what is like to hit up O'Neil??? Actually which one is better right now to use??? O'Neil or San Luis??? I am a Fly guy that works from a Float tube. I want to try out O'Neil. Is it too late in the season??? Holla back :D
Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
swabbie

Hi, I am just learning to fish the forebay. I usually just use cut up anchovies. Have been catching some keepers, around 20". Not very experienced in trying other things. Still trying to learn how to catch the big ones. I have trolled but without any luck. Have not been able to catch anything in the main lake yet
Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 PM
no0bie

Right now the bigger stripers 22+ inches are hitting on live mud suckers,,,anchovies and fresh shad are still working but seem to be catching the smaller ones (18-21 inches only). We are just fishing off the bank overnight night next to the 152 bridge but entering from the int. 33 side entrance. This is for O'neil Forebay. As for San Luis Reservoir, Willow Spring Bay all the way to Quien Sabe pt. are biting slower but producing bigger stripers. We only use anchovies and fresh shad b/c for some reasong live mud suckers do not work. Again this is only off the bank..
Old 01-26-2008, 09:51 PM

San Luis Dam is a dam that creates San Luis Reservoir, which serves as an off-stream reservoir for the California State Water Project. It is also known as the B.F. Sisk Dam, after Bernie Sisk. The earth-fill gravity embankment dam is 305 feet (93 m) tall and was completed in 1967. It is located between Los Banos, California and Gilroy, California along Pacheco Pass. San Luis Reservoir is the largest off-stream reservoir in the United States, with a capacity of 2,041,000 acre-feet.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim
Oneil Forebay San Luis reservoir
California
Hank Ferguson set the world landlocked striped bass all tackle record of 67 lb. 8 oz.
O'Neill Forebay, the forebay of the main reservoir, in 1992
Whopper of a fish, but is it a record?

By Marek Warszawski - Fresno Bee
August 14, 2008

FRESNO – Frank Ualat knew there had to be a giant fish on the end of his line.
But a potential state record? It's the stuff of dreams.
Down to his last worm after an all-day session Aug. 5 at O'Neill Forebay outside Los Banos, Ualat caught a 70-pound, 6-ounce striped bass that is generating tremendous buzz in fishing circles.

"I was about to pack up and go home," the Gilroy resident said Tuesday. "Good thing I didn't."
After a tense 20-minute battle, Ualat landed the striper with the help of two friends who pushed the giant fish toward shore once it reached knee-deep water.
"A big crowd gathered around, but I didn't even notice because I was in complete shock," Ualat said. "It took two people to lift it out of the water."
Ualat and his friends drove to a nearby Wal-Mart, where they purchased ice and a 120-quart cooler, the largest the store had in stock. But the fish – 52 1/2 inches long with a 36-inch girth – still didn't fit. Its tail stuck out.
When he got home, Ualat stored the fish overnight in his bathtub packed in ice.
"It was like a human laying down there," he said.
Next morning, Ualat drove to Coyote Bait & Tackle in the small town of Coyote, where employees weighed the fish on the store's Shimano spring scale. The scale was not certified, meaning it had not previously been tested to ensure accuracy.
"I've never seen a fish that big," said Teri Bradford, the store's co-owner. "Even the pictures don't do it justice."
After taking more pictures and video of the fish, Ualat said he went looking for a certified scale, but couldn't find one. Tired and unsure what to do next with his prized catch, he took it home and did what he typically does to his fish: Ualat cut it up, ate some of it and handed out fillets to his friends and neighbors.
"I kind of regret it now," said Ualat, who has been a regular at O'Neill Forebay since 1987. "I ended up talking to Fish and Game, and they gave me a form to fill out."
The decision to cut up the fish may cost Ualat a chance at an official state record.
Hank Ferguson of Merced owns the longstanding striped bass state record. His 67-pound, 8-ounce fish, also taken from O'Neill Forebay, was caught May 7, 1992.
Bradford said she planned to ship her store's scale to Florida so it could be certified by the International Game Fish Association, the nonprofit organization that maintains a database of fishing records in all species.
But even if the scale used to weigh Ualat's striper receives IGFA certification, the fish still might not be declared a state record by the California Department of Fish and Game.
According to the Department of Fish and Game's Web site, all potential state records must be examined by a department employee. Ualat's fish was not.
The IGFA, on the other hand, does not require a physical examination as part of its criteria to determine freshwater all-tackle world records, Chief Operating Officer Mike Myatt said.
"This is a significant catch, no doubt about it," Myatt said. "I wish (Ualat) luck, and I'm anxious to see his application."
Ualat caught his fish with 50-pound test PowerPro braided line. He used an 11-foot G. Loomis Surf Series spinning rod equipped with a Team Daiwa Advantage 4000 reel.
"I don't know if the record is going to go through or not," Ualat said, "but it sure is a great story."
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2008, 02:20 AM

Default A word on Ulat's 70

The fish was filetted and eaten after it ate a pile worm! Poor broad, she musta been a suicide case. The local fishing rag had the quote of the year "How do you say Ouch in tagalog?" Not sure how the record is gonna go through IFGA is a real ball buster. Especially when its a WC submission.

San Luis and its forebay are a wicked fishery when you can get out between intense winds. The spillway from the rez to the bay is called the "Trash Wracks" and dollars to doughnuts your pig is sittin down there when a lil current is flowin.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Official Member

Default Re: San Luis Reservoir - Oneil Forebay

Hello,

i have been chasing stripers in san luis reservoir from (take note!) november to april this year to better learn feeding habits based on water level,temp. I only fish from bank at night (sundown to sunrise) and found this for the reservoir:

Nov to feb- only use shallow diving plugs (bmber hd a or a-salt,rap hj 14,lucky craft 128 (cant disclose which color other than this for hint: Scratch, clear, ghost)- practically given to you pal! Fish them slow, keep line tight, pause and retrieve sometimes.

When full moon- dont bother fishing, ive tried to many times w very little success.

Come february forward till nov again, water levels increase, temps fluctuate w rain,storms, etc... As temp keeps rising - zoom flukes now work (pearl white ss 5 in) w 1/4 to 3/4 ounce head, jig or cast slowww.

Topwater sunrise and sundown, flitter shad and white spook rules. Use 25 lb mono for leader when using braid.

Forebay: Same as above, but fish not as picky with colors as the reservoir.
As far as hot spots, it took me years to find them, so sorry i cant disclose them. You need to put the time and effort(money) to find it my friend!
My rig:
9'3 1 piece rogue custom made
stella 4000
line- 30 ppro for plugs
15-20 ppro for zoom flukes
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_aM_a_no0bie View Post
Man does any1 on this site ever fish at san luis reservoir??
I do and I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:24 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: San Luis Reservoir - Oneil Forebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf007 View Post
Hello,

i have been chasing stripers in san luis reservoir from (take note!) november to april this year to better learn feeding habits based on water level,temp. I only fish from bank at night (sundown to sunrise) and found this for the reservoir:

Nov to feb- only use shallow diving plugs (bmber hd a or a-salt,rap hj 14,lucky craft 128 (cant disclose which color other than this for hint: Scratch, clear, ghost)- practically given to you pal! Fish them slow, keep line tight, pause and retrieve sometimes.

When full moon- dont bother fishing, ive tried to many times w very little success.

Come february forward till nov again, water levels increase, temps fluctuate w rain,storms, etc... As temp keeps rising - zoom flukes now work (pearl white ss 5 in) w 1/4 to 3/4 ounce head, jig or cast slowww.

Topwater sunrise and sundown, flitter shad and white spook rules. Use 25 lb mono for leader when using braid.

Forebay: Same as above, but fish not as picky with colors as the reservoir.
As far as hot spots, it took me years to find them, so sorry i cant disclose them. You need to put the time and effort(money) to find it my friend!
My rig:
9'3 1 piece rogue custom made
stella 4000
line- 30 ppro for plugs
15-20 ppro for zoom flukes
Sounds like a poacher to me...

Why won't you disclose your so called secrets...perhaps it is an illegal spot?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-of-Oneil View Post
I do and I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Hello. I was searching for some hints to the area. I've been starting to go to O'Neil and the reservoir. I'm not looking for exact spots but, general areas would be nice.
I just stopped at Dinosaur Pt. this weekend and damn kids where there throwing rocks out in the water, which doesn't make for good fishing. LOL. But, what I noticed is that there were people out at some crazy spots. Mostly they park along the highway and WALK who knows how far to get to these spots. Considering I don't feel comfortable leaving my truck along the highway, I dont think I will ever do that. So, is that the only way to score some decent fish at the Reservoir? O'neil is a whole different ballgame. Not too much access other than certain spots. I don't want to give up on the area and I dont have a boat so any info would be great. You can inbox me as to not burn any spots or "bridges". LOL.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9s8r View Post
Hello. I was searching for some hints to the area. I've been starting to go to O'Neil and the reservoir. I'm not looking for exact spots but, general areas would be nice.
I just stopped at Dinosaur Pt. this weekend and damn kids where there throwing rocks out in the water, which doesn't make for good fishing. LOL. But, what I noticed is that there were people out at some crazy spots. Mostly they park along the highway and WALK who knows how far to get to these spots. Considering I don't feel comfortable leaving my truck along the highway, I dont think I will ever do that. So, is that the only way to score some decent fish at the Reservoir? O'neil is a whole different ballgame. Not too much access other than certain spots. I don't want to give up on the area and I dont have a boat so any info would be great. You can inbox me as to not burn any spots or "bridges". LOL.
Thanks.
I don't even know if you will ever come back to check for a response....but anyway..

I myself have parked along the highway. There are quite a few parking lots or stalls for parking along the highway and it is not that far of a walk to get to the water's edge. Parking there is at your own risk. I usually feel pretty safe out there as long as I am with a buddy - and I never encroach upon other fishermen during late hours.

I truly don't believe in spots for stripers. They are constantly foraging the lake and may be biting more in one area than others at times. The best advice I can give you is to cover as much area as possible and cover all the depths as well.

If you are the type of person who gives up easily, then striper fishing is definitely not for you. Ask any experienced striper fisherman who fishes from the banks and they will tell you - your success is dependent upon your determination and knowledge of the sport.