Upper Chesapeake Bay - Bohemia / Elk River - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Official Member

Question Upper Chesapeake Bay - Bohemia / Elk River

I'm an old time boater and fisherman but always the small and simple stuff. I've been reading and looking and prepping with gear, etc - to chase Stripers on the Upper Chesapeake bay off the bohemia river, Elk river, off Turkey Point and the 'flats' off Port Deposit - most of what I read are from folks much further down the bay. Does anyone have ay input or suggestions on the upper upper bay area for rockfish? I tried last week with some small perch we caught near Cabin Johns creek - then live liined them off battery point near aberdeen. The APG patrol boats were out and prevent me from fishing a few areas who's name I don't know but if you stood on Turkey Point looking towards the bay bridge - they'd be at you 2 o'clock towards aberdeen on the left side of the channel that runs in there . I'll post this and see if I can get some info on the upper bay - Fall of 2012... I also thought about paying for a charter to watch what they do but all seem to be further down the bay towards Kent Island and they fish near the Annapolis bay bridge, I want to fish up by Turkey Point... thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Upper Chesapeake Bay - Bohemia / Elk River

removed dupe entry
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Official Member

Hi pappy.

Like you, I'm and "old school" fisherman with over 50 years of it under my waders. I am new to this forum as well as chasing stripers in the fall.
I've found people on other striper fishing sites to be pretty tight lipped about what's going at "The Head of the Bay". I am a relative newbie to the upper Bay scene and generally fish between Port Deosit and Turkey & Sandy Pts. and know the western shore better.

I went down last week with a fishing buddy and were lucky enough to find some fish. The weather was terrible 15 - 25 mph winds. Couldn't go past Turkey Pt as the winds were from the south and all we could see down bay were huge white-caps...no thank you please.

We found stripers further north along some of the sheltered shorlines in 2-3' of water. They were chasing bait everywhere but casting into that wind made the fishing really tough. I have a 16' Deep V aluminum and because of the shallow water we were unable to navigate to the back side of them in order to have the wind work in our favor. The two of us endend cathing 7 undersized fish from aprox 10:30 am to 1:30 pm...the water got way to rough by then. If the rain doesn't happen "big time" I will be down again tomorrow. I live in rural Northern York Co, PA and it's about an 80 mile 1 way trip. If I don't make it tomorrow I will be down either Sat or Monday.

I generally launch out of HDG and make up my mind where I'm going once I get there. I can tell you that some larger fish have been caught just south of Turkey & Sandy Pts. on top water and 4-5" rattle-traps.

I hope this has been some help to you as I in in the learning phase myself.

I will get my profile set up and perhaps we can stay in touch via PM.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Official Member

Hey Mike -thanks tons for replying, when you say 'tomorrow' - do you mean Thursday? I knowsomuch yet know so little.... guys I know who fish well all chase the fish - I have not once seen this firsthand,,,, I;d love to witness the right way. I have a 17 whaler withg a 90, I will head out in pretty much anything but yeah - when the wind whips up, the bay is a different place. On those days when it's a lake, it seems so small and so easy to cruise out the Bohemia and head around the point to the flats,,,, on days when it's blowing, the bay looks like an ocean. When you chased the fish, what did you fish with? Last week I went with abuddy - we caught 8 small white perch then live lined them off that channel by Aberdeen, the one that runs off APG then turns past the light house island and heads up to port deposit,,,, we never made it to the area you were talking about, ran out of time andmy depth finder is mounted too high so i does not read when underway - only when I idle,,, I tried to cross the floats but tide was out and I was driving blind - I dont think you can cross where I wanted to anyway (right next to the lighthouse island) - I heard these was a channelbut I could not locate it., Letmeknow if you'llbeout there again this week - I'm allears on learning what rigs you run, how you go about 'finding' them and if you jig or troll or ? once you do.... I dont get out much so I'm not going to steel any rockfish from perspective fishermen (your comment about tight lipped) but it would benicetolearn some better basics so on occasion I can takemy son or Dad out and seethe joy of them hooking into a fish bigger than 14".... it would makemy day.,,. thanks again for your info and hope to catch up with you one day soon....
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 PM
DiRtY Huh-Ka

have you guys fished there recently? I fish northeast river and flats and turkey point too. haven't been out in awhile
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Official Member

Hi - no, I have not been out there yet. Every year I swear I'll start boat maintenance and other prep work sooner and every year I seem to get new 'chores' assigned to me by the wife. I just floated a rebuilt 24' Pontoon boat and am working on it in the water so my fishing boat, my whaler sits on trailer. My buddy fished his way out the Sassafras river including Loyds then a few spots off Turkey point about 1 week ago using mostly blood worms and only caught cats. I 'hear' there's perch running out there but no stories on the rockfish as of yet for 2013. I'm all ears to anyone who has other (better) news. Feel free to email me at [email protected] as well - thanks.