Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA

I have been fishing the Oneill Forbay for nearly ten years. I am here to give tips and help you become the ultimate striper fresh-water angler - just as long as you are not a poacher. I hate poachers and I can smell them a mile away.

If I answer your questions with questions of my own - do answer them or you may not receive the tip you so desperately desire.

I am all for helping fellow anglers to improve their skills and techniques but at the same time - I do not want to help those who fish illegally.

I have more tips for striper fishing than what one can find on the internet. With that said, do come in and tell me your stories and let me be the judge of whether I should help you or not.

I know I seem a bit egotistic, but if you are willing to humble yourself - you may just learn a thing or two.

I went to a striper fishing seminar in my home town - just to see if I can learn anything new. It turns out, I am the expert and the all-knowing.

See you at the lake,

King of Oneil aka KO

(don't tell me about how I incorrectly spelled Oneil)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA

Post up minions - The king is in the house.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Post up minions - The king is in the house.

The King of Oneil does not kneel to anyone or let alone the admin of this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Striper Hunter

Striper-admin-Jim, please PM me where this thread will be located in the event it is no longer in this section. I have yet to discover what the rest of the other sections are.

There are many Oneill Forbay fishermen. Perhaps leaving it where it is most visible may be good for recruiting new members?

Just a thought ...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:25 AM

The post (and now this thread) has a permanent redirect from the striper forum to the San Luis Reservoir forum.
(Assuming that forum would be considered most visible)
If you look in the original location posted (The striper forum) you will see the post.
It still serves the same purpose as intended and alerts the reader to the sub forum.
You can see others as well marked moved, either with expiring redirects or permanent ones.
Appreciate your posts. Thx.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/forumdisplay.php?f=21
Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Striper Hunter

I'll see if I can recruit some O'neill Forbay fishermen for you.

Is there like an outside section or lounge, so to speak, where posters hang out and share stories? If there isn't - that may be a good section to have. Most forums I have come across usually has this section and it tends to be very popular.

As you already know, I am from central California. If you ever need a moderator from this region, *cough* cough*
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Official Member

KO, I have been fishing the CA duct in the Antelope Valley area for 26 years. It is 90% of my fishing. I just love the duct! I am always willing to learn something new. I catch plenty of stripers in my area and keep some but release the majority, especially the DD breeders. I have always wanted to take a week and fish the duct from my location all the way up to O'neill and back. Farthest north that I have gone is Buttonwillow outside of Bakersfield.

I'm a lure fisherman and not into the bait and wait thing. Always on the move like those duct stripers are. I am willing to share my gathered knowledge from the past 26 years too.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo View Post
KO, I have been fishing the CA duct in the Antelope Valley area for 26 years. It is 90% of my fishing. I just love the duct! I am always willing to learn something new. I catch plenty of stripers in my area and keep some but release the majority, especially the DD breeders. I have always wanted to take a week and fish the duct from my location all the way up to O'neill and back. Farthest north that I have gone is Buttonwillow outside of Bakersfield.

I'm a lure fisherman and not into the bait and wait thing. Always on the move like those duct stripers are. I am willing to share my gathered knowledge from the past 26 years too.
Awesome! If you have been fishing the aqueducts for 26 years, then I probably have little to offer you. I have been fishing the ducts myself for numerous years with lures. While fishing the ducts, I have lures for all depths and I cover each area rather quickly. When fishing in the ducts, you are literally a striper hunter as you would have to keep trekking until you find them.

I would love to hear some of your stories if you have any...

Here is one of mine:

There were reports of monster size stripers in the ducts near the town of Riverdale which is approximately 15 minutes from the ducts. This area is near the junction of highway 145 and the Street Mt. Whitney.

I brought all of my lures which normally work on stripers during the day - from suspended lures to flukes - you name it, I have it for all occasions.

Two of my brothers came along for this trip and they decided to use live jumbo minnows.

I cast and I cast but to no avail. The stripers were not interested in what I had to offer.

Approximately around 4:00 pm, one of my brother's line took off. He had set it to where the striper can take the bait and run with it. When he got to his pole and attempted to set the hook, the striper literally broke his 40 lb line.

After careful review, I believe my brother set his drag too tight and the striper was gaining too much speed. All that combined - equals a lost fish and a broken line.

And then after sun down, fishes started jumping in the water like popcorn in a microwave. After an hour of casting, we determined those fish were not stripers.

We were later informed those fish are some type of minnows and are about the length of medium size trouts. ( our sources are not reliable )

We later also learn the most effective way to fish the stripers from this region is to catch those minnows and use it as live bait. Of course, we chose not to do this because we believed it was illegal fishing. During our trips to this area we have seen folks pull out 25-40 lb stripers by using the minnows they have caught from the ducts.

I have still yet to identify the fishes that are so plentiful in those ducts which are apparently the main staple for the stripers in that region. If you have any insights on these fishes, please let me know if I can fish it and use it as live bait? Apparently, in this region, stripers hardly go after anything else other than those fishes. I have done very well in all other parts of the ducts except for this region.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Official Member

KO, There are silverside minnows but they don't get much bigger than 6". You probably saw hitch or the American shad? We used to have them down in my southern area but have been gone for at least 11 or more years. They were known as striper candy but illegal to use as live bait. I never tried them back in the day. Have seen people fish with them back then. I was out by Bakersfield last year and saw a few there and they kept nipping at my lure close to the edge. They are still around up there it seems. I don't know why they disappeared from my area? Same with the shad. There have not been shad here in ages.

We do have lots of silversides, tule perch and sculpin. Of course there is the mysid shrimp by the billions. The new striper candy here is the tule perch. Illegal to use but have seen guys using them. A 1oz Rat L Trap is a good imitation of them as are many other large lipless cranks. I usually use the chrome with black or blue back. Shad colors work too. Imitating the silversides I like the Luckycraft Pointer 128, Rapala X-rap XR10, the old reliable super and magnum fluke and bucktail jigs. I have also nailed a lot fish on a 6" Basstrix tube with an internal rigged 1oz lead head. The Bomber Long A is a good one too.

The jumpers around here are always the catfish and the carp. Usually sunrise and sunset. Everyone thinks the stripers are jumping like crazy but it's not them. Usually happens at siphon outlets.

Yes moving to find the fish is more key than even the lure you are throwing. You can throw the whole tackle box if there are no fish at your location. I usually give it 20 minutes to get bit and if nothing, I move to another spot. I love those first cast hook ups though.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Striper Hunter

After googling the hitch fish, I think the ones I saw were very similar and may have been hitches.

From what I remember, these fish were of brownish color and had small mouths.

I will probably visit this region of the ducts again and concentrate more on bait fishing - using jumbo minnows.

I have another question: These hitches - when they are jumping during sun down, are they fleeing from the stripers?

It is my conclusion they are fleeing from the stripers and at this point, no lures you put in the water can attract the stripers.

I would like to know your insights on this - it has happen consistently during every fishing trip in that region.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Official Member

We don't have the hitches here anymore. Does this jumping happen at or near siphon outlets or out in open water? The jumping phenomena is 90% catfish by me. Is there any swirl involved? That would be a tell tale sign they are being chased buy stripers. Obviously boils would be a tell tale sign too but that is too obvious. In my 26 years of duct fishing, I have never seen a striper boil down here by me. I have seen them swirl and just scoop silversides and tule perch in an almost casual manner. No violent eruptions like the local lakes get on the shad. Most likely because it is a lone fish or a couple of fish and not a mass school that churns the water. I'm sure the further north, the more stripers there are. I have noticed just going to Bakersfield areas that there are more fish. There I have seen schools of 6 or more fish follow my lures but in the Antelope Valley where I am at seeing 2 at a time is significant and if you get a follower it is usually a solo.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Striper Hunter

sss
Old 03-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Striper Hunter

The place where this phenomena happens is at a weir but on the side where the water is calm. You would think there are more stripers on the other side where the pump creates flow and oxygen - but anglers who have been fishing there for a long time will tell you it is in the calm waters - on the other side of the weir is where the concentration of stripers are..

I am pretty sure they are not catfishes. I am certain it is a school of the fish we have been talking about or something very similar to it. And regarding swirls, I cannot notice them even if it is happening. The jumping of these fishes are too constant and rapid. If there was a violent eruption, I would recognize it easily - even in the dim light.

Farther up north from this point and all the way to the Oneill Forbay, I tend to do very well. But for some reason, this region is my kryptonite.

I do well in the aqueducts, but wouldn't go as far as to say I am an expert. You obvious know more about the aqueducts than I do. I do most of my fishing in the Oneill Forebay. I like the Oneill Forbay for one huge reason. It has many access points for shore anglers. I can trek through 1/8 of the banks of this forebay if I wanted to in one fishing trip.

I have always wanted to fish in Lake Pyramid but I have never gone there due to rumors of it being in-accessible from the shores.

I know with lake or reservoir conditions, the best times to fish stripers is in the Fall to early Winter. Is this also true for the Aqueducts?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Official Member

By weir do you mean a true weir or are referring to the checks (known as gates)? We do not have any true weirs in my section. At least from what I understand a weir to be. We do have the checks/gates and that is where the smoother water is. I fish both sides and open water too. I actually nailed a 12 this morning on the front side. I'll attach a pic at the end of this reply.

As far as the fall to early winter, yes I agree that it is a good time. I caught a bunch of DD fish this past fall. Smallest 10 to largest being 18.5 but it was weighed next day and could have lost a little water weight?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo View Post
By weir do you mean a true weir or are referring to the checks (known as gates)? We do not have any true weirs in my section. At least from what I understand a weir to be. We do have the checks/gates and that is where the smoother water is. I fish both sides and open water too. I actually nailed a 12 this morning on the front side. I'll attach a pic at the end of this reply.

As far as the fall to early winter, yes I agree that it is a good time. I caught a bunch of DD fish this past fall. Smallest 10 to largest being 18.5 but it was weighed next day and could have lost a little water weight?

I have always called them weirs but what I call weirs may be the gates you are referring to..

That is a nice fish you caught. I went out on my first striper fishing trip of the year to the Oneil Forebay just this past Saturday and came home empty-handed. I fished all the known banks which have done well for me but nothing...I even talked to bait-fishermen and they too have caught nothing or at least that is what they said. I am going to wait until the middle of April to go out again - but before then, I may visit the aqueducts.

When I land my first striper of the year, I will post it here.