do anyone know how to live line bunker. an wuts the best time a place to use them for stripers. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Default do anyone know how to live line bunker. an wuts the best time a place to use them for stripers.

want to know how to live line bunker for stripers. i know how to catch an live line them for blue fish, but i heard that in my area guys are live lining bunker an catching big stripers. my research an past experiences with bunk is that they come in the shallows at night. caught a few with a cast next throwing blind off the dock. but i wonder is the stripers follow the bunker in the shallows at night?. when fishing for blue fish i normally snack bunkers an live line them hooking them nearest to the tail because the blue's always hit the tail first. but stripers eat form the head first i read sumwhere. but where do i put the hooks an how much hooks on the fish. am thinking one on the back an one on the tail. mabe put a rubber band on the the tail with the 2nd hook. not quite sure. would like sum help plz. thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: do anyone know how to live line bunker. an wuts the best time a place to use them for stripers.

You don't need tandem hooks on stripers. One good hook will suffice. I place it in front of the dorsal fin. There's a chunk of meat between the dorsal fin and the skull, that's where you wanna go. The striper will always turn the bait and swallow it head first so there's no need for a hook on the tail. Manhassett Bay and Little Neck Bay are both productive at night just keep in mind that at night it's quiet and sound travels longer and faster, fish in shallow water spook easily so try and be stealthy.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: do anyone know how to live line bunker. an wuts the best time a place to use them for stripers.

thanks man! i will definitely do wut u said. i fish in great neck. well little neck bay u can really say. there are sum huge fish out here. been testing alot of bait to see wut the fish go for. been mostly using bunker whick i ah successful on. but i been trying eels. but the ****************ers are hard to rig. do you know how to rig eels?.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Striper Hunter

For eels use a 6/0 octopus hook and come up from under the chin and out one of the eyes
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Since there's bunker in the back i would stick with that as bait. You always want to offer what they're feeding on. I like to fish eels around rocks. Better place for eels is Ft. Totten and Kings Point Marine Acadamy. Check out the thread below for rigging eels.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...222#post137222
Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Striper Hunter

am sticking to bunker cuz it been working great. wanna try live line sum as soon as i can catch sum bunkers. i live in great neck near Kings Point Marine Acadamy. so am going to try ells an see if i get sum results. thanks for the advice!