San Luis - Oneil Forebay reports - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 06-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default San Luis - Oneil Forebay reports

San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay: Anglers fishing for striped bass have similar results from the main lake or the forebay, catching a few small fish (about 3-5 pounds). Early morning and early evening tend to be the best times. Anglers fishing from shore use bait, such as anchovies, shad or live grass shrimp. Boaters catch one or two fish. The full moon is having a negative effect on the bite. Ly's Sporting & Fishing Goods (408) 629-9644, Reed's Sport Shop (408) 926-3020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Reports and Info Dude

Default San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay:

San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay: Smaller sized striped bass in the 15-16 inch range have been caught by shore anglers. Larger fish up to 26 inches have been caught in the Basalt Area.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Reports and Info Dude

San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay: Stripers are caught by anglers fishing from the bank of the Basalt area using pile worms. Most of the bass are 25 to 30 inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Reports and Info Dude

San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay: Striped bass fishing is good, with fish up to 10 pounds. Anglers are having success by the dam using anchovies
Old 09-17-2004, 03:39 AM
Reports and Info Dude

San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay: Striped bass fishing improved as some boaters caught limits over the weekend and into Monday. The fish seem to be biting frozen shad more than frozen anchovies, but try both and pile worms, too. There are many small fish (4-5 pounds) but some weigh up to eight pounds. Anglers fishing from the bank have success going toward the Basalt area, but not at Dinosaur Point.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Reports and Info Dude

San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay: Fishing for striped bass is very good by the dam area. The bass are very active because of the increased flows from the dam. Try using jumbo minnows in 30 to 50 feet of water. The larger fish are 7 to 8 pounds. Limits are commonplace.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Reports and Info Dude

Default SAN LUIS RESERVOIR

SAN LUIS RESERVOIR

Best spots: Trash rack area or in front of Basalt launch ramp.

Comment: Tim Mitchell of Mitchell's Outpost said there were a lot of stripers being caught, but they're small -- 3 to 5 pounds. There have been some big ones seen by trollers in the aqueduct, but nobody has hooked one. In the lake, the fish all have been small. Anchovies, shad and minnows are the best baits trolled 30-50 feet. There are rumors of 25-pounders, but none have come through the store. (826-5559).
Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: San Luis - Oneil Forebay reports

Update--for 2/9/12.
The day after a bright, full moon!!!! Got skunked! No action on the forebay. Four boats out--no one had much luck. One boat with 3 people on board had 2 keepers the other boats skunked--including mine.

I am thinking that the full moon affects the forebay so much more than San Luis due to the shallow water. Water was down to about 30 feet in the center of the forebay. A bright full moon probably lights up the water that shallow. The ranger station said that people were having a pretty good bite at Basalt over in the San Luis side where the water is close to 90 feet and out in the middle of the res, where the water is over 200 feet.

I'm going to try San LUis toward the end of next week--I'll try anchovy on the bottom w/ 2 oz. slip sinker and if no luck, I'll try trolling w/ the downrigger using jumbo minnows.

Anyone with any other ideas, love to hear them.

Randy
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Striper Hunter

Got to tell ya randy,

3.5 - 4 inch flutter spoons behind a snubber, work great at the big lake (san luis). Use a dodger on cloudy days

during the full moon, you have to really pay attention to the bait schools out there. Because no matter what the stripers will be with them.

When the wind is blowing you gotta fish the dam. BUT BE CAREFUL IN THAT AREA, YOU CAN END UP IN THE ROCKS IN A HURRY.

And electronics are essential for trolling for stripers.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for those tips. I really appreciate the help. I'll try the flutterspoons. Also, I just got a new sonar to replace the bad one.

Randy
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Striper Hunter

Turn the sensitivity up on your graph, and troll form 2.5 - 3 mph.

Check the action on the spoons, they should "swim" from side to side not roll or spin. If they are your probably going too fast.

When the action is right check your speed.

Dont rely on your boat speedo for your speed. Use your sonar, if not equipped with a speed sensor, use gps.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyevers View Post
thanks for those tips. I really appreciate the help. I'll try the flutterspoons. Also, i just got a new sonar to replace the bad one.

Randy
when i say "they really like flutter spoons", im not eliminating other baits.
i usually troll three to four different baits at once. If i catch several fish on one particular bait ( lures etc...).

i will change one of my baits to match what i am hammering them with, not my whole string.

you kinda have to let the fish decide. And even at that, dont restrict yourself to only one or two baits
they might decide they want a bucktail or a swimbait, and its not there!

I mean, just visualize it and you will see exactly what im saying..........
Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Striper Hunter

oops
Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 AM
Striper Hunter

randy,

started casting flies thrown with a 1/2 oz swim bait on 10" out, 12" up.

we also got em in the morning down 50, back 10. with rattle traps on ball trolls (large trout flashers or ''trolls") three feet down. i was going pretty quick too, maybe 4-6 on the outside set.

we caught them in the mid day 60-70 down, back 20. on spoons with the zone alarm set at 120 and ran the deep side of 120 for two hours and picked up three fish to 6 pounds.

moved to the forebay and flat lined the top with 6" white curltails, thats where the nice nine pounder came from. he came from the scour hole from the drain pipe near the group camp site. we caught and released 16 fish. only kept one.

he was not the biggest one we caught, just the last one!

if anyone needs or wants the definitions of any of the terms used in the above text just let me know and i will explain it!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Striper Hunter

Took twin eighteen pounders on the same downrigger on tuesday.

They both took 18" flo green eels behind a gold no. 7 willow leaf ball troll, down 50, out 15.

Also caught the biggest black bass of my life, 9.5 lbs.

He was crashing bait near shore. Killed him with a 1 1/2 oz kastmaster spoon with bucktail dressed hook. (white hair with red thread).

ONE STRIPER HAD 37 SHAD IN HIS GULLET AND GUT.