need some help with rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Official Member

Default need some help with rod

Hi guys. I'm not a complete beginner I've done some fishing over the years. Mostly from piers and jetty. Looking to get more into it and eventually some surf fishing.I been fishing from the pier and jettys a couple times this summer already. I have inherited 2 rods and reels from dad. The one is a ugly stick big water 10ft with a Penn 105c reel and the other is a sea striker beachrunner 11ft rod that I think is a little to big for the pier with a Penn Battle II 6000(but I've used it). What I'm looking help with is I like to get a shorter rod maybe a 7'-6" or 8' and put the battle reel on it and use it at the pier for a couple different lures and bait and maybe the surf someday. Looking for help choosing a rod. I was looking at the star stellar lite sg1525isl. Looking to spend no more then $130. Do you think reel is to big for this rod. Thanks for any and all advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Official Member

Default Re: need some help with rod

Ok a little more a beginner then I thought (been doing a little research on the forums) I have been fishing since I was a kid just don't have the knowledge of the equipment/tackle and experience of some of the members here. I'm looking to salvage what I have to fish from the pier. I think the Ugly Stik is ok for the pier but looking for another rod that I can use to throw some lures and to use the Battle II reel on. Or should I switch the Battle on the Ugly Stik and find a rod for the 105c to throw lures. I'm sure sometime this summer I wil try surf fishing with rods/reels combos the way they are. But right now just looking to get the peir fishing down. So any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks again.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Pro Staff

I'm not familiar with those rods, but a couple of the primary considerations when selecting a rod should be the weight of the bait or lure you will be casting, importance of casting distance, and the strength of the line you will be using. Check the specs on the rods you have and see if they measure up to what you want to do with them.

Also, keep in mind that both of those reels are pretty hefty, at least 24-26 ounces once loaded up with line. If you're going to be casting lures with them for any length of time, you'll want a rod on which it will balance well. If you put the reel on a rod and then balance the rod on your finger it should balance out somewhere around where the spool of the reel/forward grip is. If the rod is too butt heavy or too front end heavy it's going to be a bit awkward to cast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Official Member

Ok thanks Jake appreciate the advice.