Early spring run 2012 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Default Early spring run 2012

Started prepping the boat this weekend. Soaked my tackle in vinegar to take the Lil rust tht developed from the fall surf run. Reels should be back from penn before the month is out. New tackle and lures r on order should be receiving them soon. I'm almost ready to hit the river again. Can't wait to try out My new livetarget blue back herring lure once the herring start running.
I'm only using lures on the river this year. Been having a blast on bait over the last 5 years and it's time to take it to another level. Be nice to hear if anyone has had success in the past with lures from the Stripers in the river. I'm only hearing up with herring type lures mostly swimmers but I will be trying crippled herrings, spoons, and I may even customize a few largemouth bass spinner baits to toss. I also going to throw some top water plugs. I'm getting pumped been watching water temps and last year at this time we had 10 degree cooler water and this week we have weather patterns with lows of 50 degrees. Won't be much longer it not usually til 3rd week of march tht I regularly find bass but this year should be at least 2 weeks sooner. Caught my last fall bass last week of Jan and I'm itching to feel them bass on the line again. Haven't noticed much going on on here it's time to wake up the cows are coming home!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Early spring run 2012

I hear ya, this is my first time going for Stripers on the D. I have been gearing up since the fall. I am going to fish the tinicum island area. I saw a report from a bait shop in Philly, the resident Stripers are starting to hit. I too am brimming with excitement!!! Tight lines!
Gravy
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Yea I heard Brinkmans report but a friend of mine been fishing the river all winter and recently he had been picking up a bass one time got 2 up to 20" mind u he was catfishing but all the same. The big D actually has a very high number of healthy of resident/pre-migrating bass and with the mild winter expect alot more of 2011 hatch to have surivied the winter than usual so expect those number to climb slightly over the next few years. all signs are leading to a very good spring hopefully the river stays on the cleaner side this year last year was bad compared to other years. Can't wait I'm pumped but I alway wait for the march 1st date it's like a big thing to me like a Holliday or something so I won't hit the river til then. Might hit the beach before tht tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Cool thanks for your insight, again I am new to striper fishing and i too hope the river stays nice for your Holiday! I look forward to this season and your postings. Lots of luck!!!
Gravy
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Striper Hunter

mufish where do you fish off from? Do you think you'll see some migration on march 1st?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapparosabroso View Post
mufish where do you fish off from? Do you think you'll see some migration on march 1st?
I fish mainly in the area between betsy ross bridge and burlinton bristol bridge with most of my focus being a one mile stretch between just north ranacokas river and jus south of pennypack creek. Last year I did alot of scouting to find more staging/holding/feeding locations south towards betsey Ross. No the migration will not officially kick off til the shad and herring enter the bay which I have not heard conformation on. And migrating bass follow the bait. Its going to be alot different this year than any of the previous years because of the mild winter water temps are around 8-10 degrees higher than they have been over the last 5 years at this date and time. 45degrees is the start of everything 50-55 is prime u can pretty much watch the water temps at this time of year and be able to know wht to expect. April through may have typically been the most productive months on the river for bass but I suspect not many bass have wondered to far south so I expect the bay to fill up and the push to begin sooner than later. Getting pumped tho I can't wait. Got my reels back from penn (always a great job from them) got my new herring lures today got me extra excited. So Ill be on the beach this weekend but come march 1st u can catch me on the big D any given day I'll be the smallest and slowest boat out there but the rods will stay bent.
"Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em tag'em if u can"