NO Fish " I caught more from shore than on my boat" - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Striper Hunter

Default NO Fish " I caught more from shore than on my boat"

I just bought a new boat and before that I have never caught a fish on a boat just off shore near weymouth port. I have been trying to use the boat as much as possible. I have been out about 7 times for about 8 hours every time, and so far to show I have about 10 dogfish, a couple skates, and1 bluefish. Even the other guys who fish with me only total up 2 more blues and 1 keeper striper 28". NO SCHOOLIES at all. Am I doing something wrong. I fished a # of different spots with a # of different baits and lures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Surf's Up

Default Re: NO Fish " I caught more from shore than on my boat"

where u from??? up hear in ns where not catching anything right now
Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Smittyballz,

some people mistakingly assume that as soon as they buy a boat, they will clobber the fish... it just aint so, most times ,new boat fisherman use their new found mobility to travel beyond the habitat their quary inhabits, they become antsy and loose patients quickly, something that is a must from the surf... boat fishing, like surf fishing still takes skill, the main advantage of the boat is that it can take you to places that just are not practical to fish from the surf..it allows you to cover more water with less inconvience, but, it can work against you.

As far as the fish themselves, they dont change their habits because you own a boat,, think about what made you a sucessfull surf fisherman and apply thoise principles and you will soon find sucess...
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Striper Hunter

I am from weymouth going out to deer island etc...no fish.... Thanks Roccus for the words of encouragement. I am def. still patient I will sit for hours and hours if I know I am in the right spot. I do agree though. I have a friend that wants to go way out away from the fish and instead i like to stay closer to the islands. Is anyone out there catching a lot of fish around boston harbor/ quincy on a boat??
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Switching to a boat can be frustrating at first. I gave up many of my old haunts or had to learn to fish them differntly when i got on the boat.

One thing I recomend... lots of reading and research. I especially like 'On the Water magazine' used in conjuntion with Google. OTW drops a lot of names, and with google you can track down location, tips, etc. If you work at it you can find some excellent tidbits of info about places you might want to try out. Simple example and no secrets here... I had no idea where scorton ledge was or how to fish, it even though i had heard of it many times. On the water had some info and google earth showed me the way :) Net result, I got some decent fish, learned a new method of fishing, and had some good fun.

Net, my catch rate is about the same as from shore, but my keeper sized fish rate is up signifigantly. Although, I got skunked for the first time since May 20th on teusday evening, but my budy fishing from shorein the river pulled in 6 schoolies. Shit happens...I'd rather taget (and miss) big fish in deeper water than hunt river rats while soaking bait.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
First Mate

Check your PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyballz View Post
I am from weymouth going out to deer island etc...no fish.... Thanks Roccus for the words of encouragement. I am def. still patient I will sit for hours and hours if I know I am in the right spot. I do agree though. I have a friend that wants to go way out away from the fish and instead i like to stay closer to the islands. Is anyone out there catching a lot of fish around boston harbor/ quincy on a boat??
What times are you fishing?
What are you using for bait?
Where are you fishing?

My best advice that I've learned so far this year is to make sure you are in some moving water. Those lines should be tight behind the boat. From what I understand, the bass like moving water. If the lines are curling up and the water is stagnant, move to a better place. Reading the water is so key, something I never really started to appreciate until I was the captain of the boat....I havent caught much, but when I have it's been in those type of conditions (and super early in the morning as well, heh).

Also, really think about investing in a GPS with the BlueCharts - I have a handheld Garmin device, and it is so great at helping me find those structured areas to fish. I'm not the best at using a depth finder to match myself up with the chart, so the GPS has been a godsend.

BTW, I fish around your area as well - My boat is in Hewitt's over in Hingham.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Wishin i was fishin

If you catch more from shore then you do a boat...it kinda proves the theory that bass like shallower water. Bass fishing is really tricky in a boat, i can't tell you how many times i've caught fish in one spot, and if you're like 10 feet off on a drift you won't catch fish....fish like to hide in certain holes and you've gotta get right over the hole to catch the fish, big bass like to be lazy especially this time of year during the day....if you're not putting the bait almost right in front of them then they're not going to make a huge effort and expend a lot of energy. Try fishing at night if you aren't already. Look your area over during the day and find some good areas where you think the bass will concentrate at night, chances are they'll move up into the shallower water where the eels, crabs, minnows, and everything else they eat are. Give that a few trys and sooner or later you'll start hooking more and more fish. The one thing i don't promise is that you'll catch fish, but i do promise your chances will definitely increase as you fish more and more in your boat.