You are stranded.... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

View Poll Results: "you are stranded"
KRS 0 0%
Old goat 0 0%
Lenny sloat 2 50.00%
jimi4290 0 0%
baitrunner 0 0%
jigman 0 0%
npike 0 0%
jkfirefighter 0 0%
Capt Cal 0 0%
slo-ride 0 0%
sadlsorz 2 50.00%
sudsy 0 0%
littlemiami jeff 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2007, 03:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default You are stranded....

Lets see how great minds think....

you have been dropped of On a rocky island on cape cod....

you want a striped bass for dinner, you have no rod or reel just a poxket knife and a book of matches...

after walking the beach, sorting through the drift wood, you find a birds nest of line with an old, rusty but servisable hook, entangled in the birds nest of mono there is a dead sea gull, dead no more than a day, it's bill stuck in a soda can....

using what is available, what do you do to get your bass for dinner...

Lets see how many realistic answers we get...no repeats

I will donate one of my custom super giant pikies, black tiger stripe scale pikies to to the winner of the most realistic answer...

May 1st we will have a comunity vote, only those particpating in the thread in a serious manner will be allowed to vote.....

The prize plug... 16" over all 6 ounces....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black scale giant.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1091  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 04:12 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: You are stranded....

ide use the matches start a fire away from the shore not to spook the fish. clean the bird with the knife, cook him, eat him for some energy so i can hunt for the bass...i would use the birds head for the eyes and slide that over a small piece of bone, then i would use feathers and a small piece of line to tie a feathertail on the hook. i would sharpen the hook on a stone then rig the best plug i could using the bird head (no beak) i just want the eyes, the bone and the feathertail. i would wade out near the rocks and wait for the sun to fall then start my painfully slow, throw and retrieve. if no takers after the first tide change, i would then return to camp, fuel the fire, sleep, and look for better bait in the morning. and try again...theres gotta be some green crabs under some rocks.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Pro Staff

After untangling the mono and sharpening up the hook with a piece of stone, I'd take my pocket knife and slice off a nice filet of breast meat from the seagull and bait up that hook. Next I'd take the soda can seal it up as best I could with a little smashing here and there and attach it to the line as a float. I'd find a sturdy piece of drift wood to wrap the line around as a handle (in case I get a strike I don't want my hand cut off with mono) and toss the rig in the water letting the tide and wind take it out from shore. Sit back and wait for the inevitable strike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Jigologist

get everything ready for a fire that evening; untangle the line and stretch it out somewhat tight and leave it in the sun and hope to lose most of the memory; then get that hook sharp with a stone, use my knife to hack up the seagull saving some feathers to dress the hook using some of the mono to fasten it; then bait it with gull innerds.. use the can to manage the line like a spool for hand-lining... take some of the bird pieces and start chumming with small chunks.. cast the rig and wait..
Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 PM
First Mate

First I'd pull the gull out of the soda can. Do the best I could unraveling the tangled line and sharpen the hook. With the pocket knife I'd cut up the bird for bait. I'd tie the line around the soda can and wrap the line around it. Find a piece of driftwood. With the knife I'd carve in slots to put the line in/through and use it as a bobber/float. Set my length of leader off the wood and tie on the hook. Wade out and start fishing.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Wishin i was fishin

I would take the matches to start a fire, and cook the dead bird, after cooking and eating part of the bird i would take it's bones and then make as many other hooks as i could, i would take the fishing line and cut it up into as many lengthy pieces as i could with my knife(long enough to cast out and enough to play a fish). I would NOT make a long line, and the only reason why is because with as many big stripers as there are on cape cod, if you got more then 1 fish on the hook or a big fish you risk losing all of your equipment and then you're stuck with nothing. I would take the soda can on the beach and dig for some clams, or gather muscles making sure not to use my bare hands with the clams, because if you cut your hands up and you're in a survival situation then your worst enemy could be an infection. I would use the clams/muscles for bait on my hooks, and maybe a snack (which I would also cook in my can) as long as I knew there was no red-tide warnings. I know that crushed clam shells can also be used as an attractant, at least it is with groundfishing. So I would crush up the clam shells and throw them out into the water and hopefully bring in some fish.
I would then set up as many fishing poles that I could with lengthy sticks. I wouldn't want to lose my precious fishing line, so I wouldn't want to fish on bottom and take a chance of getting snagged on a jagged rock, so I would tie on a piece of drift wood to serve as a bobber and fish as close to the bottom as I could without getting my line snagged. In order to cast my line out the drift wood would be heavy enough for me to throw out as far as I could. If I was able to have enough line to make a couple fishing poles then I would do the same with the other poles and just increase my odds in catching a striper in a survival situation, and remember this is a survival situation so I probably wouldn't want to catch a large striper, which would possibly break my old sun-dried line that I found on the beach. So I would try to catch schoolies just enough to fill me up and make a delicious meal.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Well after walking the beach and finding the line,hook and soda can I'd start to search out some dry drift wood high up on the beach above the tide line and start to dry out the matches in my pocket...wet matches are hard to light but if dried out and a litttle luck with the striker a fire can be started with dry kindling...a fire is a must for warmth and as a beacon/smoke for those who may be looking for me.....after some time and work I'm lucky to get a small fire going....there is a nice pile of dry driftwood to burn so I sit and start to untangle the fishing line at the same time wrapping it around the soda can to get the kinks and memory out of it....it takes quite a time to unravel the birdnest of line,but it looks like there is enough line for me to wade out into the surf and throw my line.....now its time to work on the hook and look for a long stick that will make up my pole...I find a rather straight one about 5 to 6 feet in lenght that seems to be sturdy and begin to shave off any knots and stickouts...I want to use that soda can so I undo the line and wrap it around 2 limbs(3 ft apart to keep it from tangling and stretcting out the memmory) that are sticking off a large log...with my knife I cut the soda can in half and flatten it....its a shiney beer can that I think I can fashion into a lure...taking my time I cut the outline of a small fish(Herring)from the flattened`can and then trace it again to get 2 halves...I poke a couple of holes in the body so I can tie it together with some line as I as I slip a couple of small pebbles in the cavity for weight....I make a long leader from some of the line and run it through the front(head) and through the body to where I attach the hook out the back along with some hackles off the dead seagulls head to hide the hook....I saved the tab from the can and now tie it to the tip of the stick to make an eye loop....with the fire blazing and smoke I undo the line that is now relaxed and in nice big loops and thread it through the tab....with my weighted lure and fishing stick I begin to work it like a fly setup....making small casts at first and then longer ones later...I remember seeing a video on casting and try a Hattarass cast which gets me farther out then I ever thought I could and await the strike of a bass.....
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
First Mate

Good one Joe!

Get all the driftwood from every possible location and start the biggest
freaking blaze possible. Big enough for some boater passing by to see.

We're at capecod right. Boaters everywhere!

Screw the line. Dig a hole for the bird and bury his sorry ass.

Call the first boater over, and get a lift back to the docks.

Maybe the boaters are fisherman too. Well, maybe use some of their
tackle and see if someone can catch some fish.

If not, go home lick your wounds and be back at it the next time.
Worst case, stop off at a local shop and eat!

Hope I didn't spoil the intent of the contest here...Just my spin...

--cal
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Some great answers guy's keep them coming.. and no one has done what I would have done... how cool is that!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

when you gonna tell us what you would do?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'm going to PM Jim with my solution... if anyone guesses exactly (with in reason) what I would do, there will be a bonus plug involved.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 AM

I'd use the bird to try and catch some bait...then use some driftwood and mono to float out the bait during an outgoing tide.

— Jed Clampett
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i bet roc would use the dead bird to attract crabs and fish with them, or hes got a way of trapping eels with a soda can and dead birds...seroiusly i think you would walk to the nearest town, if there is a soda can sitting there there must be civilization, after cleaning up the mess of dirty line and rusty hooks on the beach, and you would buy yourself a nice 10' surf whip combo and some live eels and fish the night for cows.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM

I'd light a fire with the matches and driftwood. I'd look for the perfect rock that I could hammer out a little dimple on another rock. I'd place the dimpled rock into the embers of the fire. While that is heating up I set off to untangle the birdsnest, wrap it around a piece of driftwood and sharpen the hook. Now the fire and rock are hot enough I cut up peices of the can and place them in the dimple of the rock to melt them down. When the aluminum is melted, I retrieve it from the fire and place the hook eye first into the molten aluminum an set aside to cool. After it is cooled I take it to a rock to grind it down so the eye is visable and I have a nice shape to it. Next I'll take some feathers from the bird and tie them to the jig. Now I take the bird and cut it open. I check the belly to see if there is any bait in there(hopefully there is). If not, I'll cut a piece of intestine and tip my jig with that. Now I tie the jig to the mono and head over to the rocks and cast around. If the Bass are there, I'll have dinner in no time.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

good one sadlsorz...