2007 plans - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Pro Staff

Default 2007 plans

Well, I made the decision. As soon as I finish the engine work on my boat this weekend, it's getting a For Sale sign on it. Proceeds going toward the purchase of a kayak and some decent fishing gear. I just want to fish this year, not waste my time hassling with equipment like I've done the last 2 seasons. This Kayak forum needs a kick start anyway... this is going to be a good year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 AM
First Mate

Default Re: 2007 plans

Sounds like a plan...

BTW, you're more than welcome to come aboard my boat this spring
and summer. This year I've made provisions to have the right tackle.

I'll be adding a few provisions to the boat as well before the season starts.

Hopefully a successful season this year.

--cal
Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro Staff

Hi Cal,
Yah,,, sounds good! We'll have to plan a little get together once it heats up in your neck of the woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Baitrunner-
Been there & done that.
Only short coming I find with the yak is if I'm on one side of the bay and want to get to the other side (for instance) it's a long haul and time consuming,,, return trip is always longer(?).
However, you don't worry about the speed limits anymore.
For me, driving close to where I'm spending time and launching ramp-less actually gets me on location quicker, usually. I'm also able to get in closer to some areas where I was concerned about rocks with a lower unit sticking down.
Almost like a middle ground between beach and boat fishing. More opportunities than the beach, not as much as a boat. But plenty workable.
You'll be investigating new waters guaranteed.
That first "sleigh ride" will get you all juicy,,, you'll see.
I really like going out around 1:00 am. Head off and hopefully have it planned right where the early winds / tides blow me back to the starting point. Of course I'll be "draggin bait" on the way while kicking back and enjoying the ride.
PS; Thanks a bunch! Now my cabin fever is taking hold again.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Pro Staff

Thanks for the input Floatsum.

Right now it's a toss up between the Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 and the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i. Both have their strong points and are comparably priced, so it's a toss up right now. Any input?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Lunker

Both good choices, but have you looked at Hobie Mirage drive kayak. I have a Heratige Redfish 14' and a Hobie Adventure, the mirage drive makes trolling and holding or working a current a lot easier since you are able to pedal and have your hands free for the rod. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but if you haven't been yet be sure to check out Kayak Fishing Stuff . com, and let the questions fly.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Pro Staff

Yes,, tried one out last summer on several occasions. Not really a fan. Though I'm sure a lot of people like them, I'm not really impressed with the design and quality of components. Seemed like trouble just waiting to happen and not worth the extra cost. I think I'd rather opt for a faster/more efficient hull and a well placed rod holder.
I've been on the KFS forum quite a bit over the last couple months,,, doin my homework. Definately a good site and a ton of knowledgeable people there.
Got a guy coming to look at my boat this evening. Hopefully will be a quick sell and I get something on order soon. Not too long before the fish get here!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Lunker

Baitrunner, the prowler 15 and the T160 are both good choices. The P15 is a beast tho. I just got a P13 with the upgraded rudder from KFS a month ago. The rudder is a big bonus on a yak in my opinion. I've been working out of a SIT w/rudder the last couple of years but wanted more space and a stabler platform to work off of. At the moment I'm rigging the P13 with a forward Scotty rod holder, Fishfinder w/ battery, stern light for night op's, and a safty flag. Most of the stuff I'm transfering from the other yak. Will add three rod holder's (PVC pipe) to my crate that fit's in the tank well. One thing you don't want to cheap out on is a good PFD and a paddle leash. You don't have to go crazy rigging to enjoy fishing from a yak, you can add thing's as you go, but a PFD and paddle leash are a must in my book. Good luck with your pick and let us know which one you get.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Thanks for the input Floatsum.

Right now it's a toss up between the Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 and the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i. Both have their strong points and are comparably priced, so it's a toss up right now. Any input?
Not really. If I was in the market for something along them lines I'd be pretty hard pressed to decide also.
My needs are probably different than yours. Mine gets muli-duty use. Not being into all the electronics and having other priorities, I needed small and light.
Also being a freshwater fisherman and a foul hunter, I needed to get back and up some over grown streams and through the swamps of South County. Ended up with a 11 ft. Loon sit-in. Need to pick my weather on the ocean with this. However, night fishing is usually fairly calm and without much traffic so it works for me. If I play in the salt during the day it's usually crabs and clams I'm after. Good for transport in our smaller ponds.
I will admit though, I'm thinking of a second along the lines you're mentioning. I'll have to keep the short Loon though. 16 ft is a bit long for some hunting I do.
See if you can test or rent each for a day would probably be a good idea for comparison. Several sellers around here will put your rental fees towards purchase if you let them know ahead.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro Staff

Thanks for the input guys. The weight and transport of either the P15 or the T160 is not an issue for me,, I've had some heavy canoes in my day and most of my launches have very close parking. I'm most concerned about hull efficiancy/speed, ability to handle ocean swells/surf, dryness, gear capacity and layout. Still a toss up.