spinning rod for dams and tail race?? help! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Question spinning rod for dams and tail race?? help!

I'm on the market for spinning rod for dam/bridge/tailwater striper fishing under $100. not a surf rod thouhg... most of the fish in my area are caught in close quarters along the wall of the dam. So a long surf rod is a litle bit overkill for flipping bucktails and live bait along the wall at my local dam.

I'd like a 7' or 7'6" graphite spinning rod with fairly large guides and a soft sensitive tip for casting live bait and casting plugs/spoons and other fairly light lures as well as 1-2oz jigs but with some backbone. also ild like to use the rod for bridge and pier snook in south florida on occasion.
has anyone used a light kingfish rod or a light offshore live bait spinning rod for stipers?

any suggestion or advice on a spinning rod would be appreciated much
thanks
anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: spinning rod for dams and tail race?? help!

actually a steelhead rod that had backbone would be prefect. for tail race fishing but my impression of Steelhead rods are "wet noodle" action. are there fast action salmon/steelhead rods that have some serious backbone power with a softer tip? my main concern in a stiper rod is light weight for casting all day and enough lenth and power to reach and effectively fish the whitewater below the dam with bucktails, gizz4 cranks etc.

please help. I need a striper rod asap!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Official Member

daiwa makes a nice rod that is called a coastal inshore.. there is a model that is 7'9" and rated to about 1 1/2 oz i think.. it will do 1/2 - 2 oz no problem.. similar in action to a 965 loomis, but well under 100 bucks.. fuji guides and real cork handles.. there's a spinning and a conventional.. i fish one in the river for stripers and have no fear of landing a 20#er in a bunch of current.. i've casted 7/8 oz bombers, rubber and plugs up to 2 oz with it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Official Member

here's the model number and specs..

CL791HRS Spin 7'9" 10-20# Hvy/Mod 3/8-1 1/2oz. 9+tip
$65.99.....................................................................................

i have three different sizes.. two spinning and one conventional..
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Striper Hunter

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-se...surf-rods.html

Last edited by kartoon; 09-01-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: price wow am i late
Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
First Mate

Check out the Star Stellar Lite rods, they may also have another rod model that will suit your needs. They are very decent rods are a very fair price, the biggest plus is the lifetime warranty. The Stellar Lite is nice and thin, pretty light in weight but durable. They have several rods in the 7' to 8' range. Make sure you look at both spinning& casting along and the surf rod models. The Stellar Lite jigging rod may also be what your looking for, but I think maybe too heavy action and lure weight. You just have to choose your weight, action and strength. I think you would be pleased with the rod, just my opinion though

http://www.tackledirect.com/star-stellar-lite-rods.html