striper cooking - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge > Recipes
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Recipes Cooking your catch. Post your favorite recipes here!

Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 PM

^^^

At the store I work at, one of the guys brought a picture of an offshore Halibut (6 footer) and put it up on the fishing picture wall, saying it was a flounder, and that a local fisher had caught it just a hundred yards offshore. It fooled a couple people for a while, including me for an instant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Striper Hunter

I filetted and cooked my first striper last week. I took the skin off during the filleted.. I then rubbed both sides with adobo seasoning. Covered the fillets with crushed up ritz crackers as the breading, then after it was placed on a backing pan (and some in tin foil since i had too much fish for just the pan) I put thin slabs of butter on top of the fillets. Then grilled it on low for 10 - 12 minutes I think it was, depending on how thin the thinnest pieces of a hacked 1st time filleting job was :)

I served it with a rice pilaf and lemon, it made 5 or 6 good sized meals and everyone enjoyed it.

Its nice to see a TON of recipes out there, I think id like to try to cook it with the skin on but then dont you have to descale it?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:48 AM

Loun, most definately you have to scale the fish if you want to try it with the skin on. Scaling tends to be very messy with scales flying all over the place. Unless you really like the taste of the skin I'd recommend you continue to remove it. The only other reason I can think of to leave the skin on is if you grill it on the barbie. The skin helps hold the fillet together as you flip and remove it from the grill. Then again, you can always get one of those clam shell fillet holders (grilling baskets) which allows you to flip the fish as many times as you want without issue. Also, the skin and that layer of redish meat just next to the skin is what gives the striper a somewhat fishy taste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks :) That was the other thing. I kept the red strips in and it still wasnt that bad at all. As with everything its a matter of preference and taste I would assume. Im hoping to be able to get another keeper so I can try something different this time :)

-Lou
Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Grille those stripers

Baitrunner, grilled stripers are really good. If u don't have one of those fish things then just put aluminum foil below it. I like sticking fresh pieces of garlic into it, powdered garlic, lemon, garlic salt, pepper, and tobasco sauce (i like garlic). It even tastes good on a foreman grille!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Easiest and possibly the best way to cook striper.

Cook some rice the way you like it, Catch and filet a 32 inch striper (not in Maine), cut the filet into generous steak sized pieces, sprinkle one of the pieces liberally with Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic, spray the fish lightly with butter flavor Pam, put a piece on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for two minutes, remove from microwave and add some rice to the plate, cut a lemon in half and squeeze fresh lemon juice onto the fish, add whatever vegetable you like to the plate, open a bottle of your favorite beer or wine and prepare to enter nirvana. javascript:emoticon(':hail:')
hail
Old 07-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Veteran

Thats the first microwave receipe I have seen, have to try it , very easy and fast.