still looking for a lathe...bucktails to pass the time - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:30 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default still looking for a lathe...bucktails to pass the time

well i am still in th market for a descent lathe, i know a good deal will pop up at some point. in the meantime my cousin hooked me up with a coupple bucktails, jigs have been the time passer. i am working on a few hand carved plugs, when i am happy with my progress i will put up some pics. if anyone has bucktail secrets you want to share, let me know, thanks,jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

jimi4290,

If you'd like I'll take some shots of a home made lathe that I made, it has the capability of handeling a 2' turning, the tail stock has three posistions, the bed is made out of 3/4 plywood, the rails are 2X4 construction, it takes about 2 hours to make and you need a router, and a 1/2" electric drill drives the turning, the bed has a removable rail that allows for a sled mounted roto zip tool or dremel tool to follow patterns tacked to the bed, although primitive it can turn out quality plugs three at a time as well as chair and railing spindels... it's an option for anyone that owns a few common shop tools and doesnt want to invest any money... it was a hell of alot cheaper than my hardinge!

If you'd like I'll clamp it to the bench tonight and put it to work and take some pictures
Old 01-21-2006, 11:19 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

that would be cool, i was thinking on building a makeshift lathe using my bench grinder, i have been thinking hard on how to do it so it is not dangerous. i have made a few prototype plugs and a handfull of bucktail jigs so far, a lathe would be so much better for the plug part. i may just break down and buy the one from harbor freight i was looking at and weld some angle iron to the bed to make it more sturdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2006, 04:05 AM

Jimi Check out this lathe. Looks like it would do the trick.
Penn Industries

edit** I see in another post you made your own home made lathe with Rocks inspiration. Friggin awesome.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Veteran

Try Harbor Frieght. cheep
Old 02-18-2006, 11:30 AM

Do NOT buy the Harbor Freight lathe! It's a complete POS.

If you want to do it right, save your money and buy the Jet midi lathe.
If you ever plan on getting a duplicator, get the Delta midi lathe as it allows you to mount the dup on the back, leaving the front for handwork.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Do NOT but the Harbor Freight lathe! It's a complete POS.

If you want to do it right, save your money and buy the Jet midi lathe.
If you ever plan on getting a duplicator, get the Delta midi lathe as it allows you to mount the dup on the back, leaving the front for handwork.
Is that first line a ........yes (pos.) or a no.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:17 PM

Sorry, POS is netspeak for Piece of

Here's something you really should do. Go to a few meetings of your local club http://www.woodturner.org/
I guarantee you'll find a quality used lathe and quality used tools as well as a new appreciation for the creativity you can have with a lathe.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:27 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

the home made lathe works good enough for now, i got some people keeping thier eyes and ears open for a good one for me. a good one will come my way when it is time, for now i am happy turning with what i got.i have been a turning mad man, honing my skills, perfecting paint and hardware is my newest venture. the local wal mart has an airbrush kit with compressor for 60 bucks, i might pick it up, i figure it should be better than brushing(my current painting method) as i learn i will either build or aquire the tools needed to build my plugs. i love to solve problems. building the lathe was as much fun as using it.