A 2016 Regulation Proposal - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Default A 2016 Regulation Proposal

National Headquarters of the United Striped Bass -2- Game Fish Association

13 mins ·

<><><><><><><>< ATTENTION ><><><><><><><>
Yesterday we attempted to present a proposal. The results of this proposal were very well received. Out of 1,100 hits 4 people did not like it or simply misunderstood it. We considered all the comments, and have adjusted Our wording & included some very good suggestions to the following new proposal. We consider this a success and would like to post this newly revised version for your review
We would like to propose the following Regulations be adopted by All The Atlantic States, In All Striped Bass Migratory Waters for 2016.
A) Every State that has not made the Atlantic Striped Bass A Game Fish in their State Waters needs to do so before the 2016 spawning season begins.
B) Once This Is Accomplished, Every State needs to maintain these Very Simple Set Of Regulations.
1) ONE Striped Bass per angler, per day. All fish kept, must measure between 25 - 32 inches. If caught in possession of fish over or under 25 - 32 inches, a fine of One Thousand Dollars for each fish in violation, will apply. Possession is fish On Board, In Hand or Removed From Its Natural Environment.
2) ONE STATE TAG allowing One Striped Bass per angler, over 32 inches to be in possession, if tag is properly affixed to the fish & is legally filled out in writing, with all information required. This Tag may be purchased from the state One per angler, per year, Per State during the non spawning season in each state accordingly.
2A) Tag Program : This program is intended to allow the angler to retain a lifetime trophy fish & promote catch & release of larger fish that may otherwise be caught & culled. ABSOLUTELY no culling allowed, Possession is fish on board, In Hand or removed from its Natural Environment.
2B) Cost of Tag Program may very depending on the cost incurred by each States for implementation of this Tag Program.
We look forward to your feed back.
Please be respectful & leave a civilized comment bellow.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: A 2016 Regulation Proposal

I like any regs that promote Striper survival and I think tagging is good. The only problem is regs are useless unless enforced.......DEC need to park at the common public boat launches and enforce the rules.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:34 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

100% true - enforcement should come first! At the marina we dock at, there is a DEC boat. The only time you see it out is during "Safe Boating Week". Then it's only - lifejackets and marine reg. check. Never ask about Herring count or Stripers caught.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM
First Mate

I keep telling them, just let anglers keep 1 fish/day any size as long as it's male. Let the females live to produce more.

So this possession thing, "Possession is fish On Board, In Hand or Removed From Its Natural Environment." So if we aren't keeping it, we can't take it out of the water. Obviously no more pictures, but how are we going to even take the hook out or even measure the fish to see if it is in keepable range.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaflu View Post
I keep telling them, just let anglers keep 1 fish/day any size as long as it's male. Let the females live to produce more.

So this possession thing, "Possession is fish On Board, In Hand or Removed From Its Natural Environment." So if we aren't keeping it, we can't take it out of the water. Obviously no more pictures, but how are we going to even take the hook out or even measure the fish to see if it is in keepable range.
Problem is that most cannot tell a male from a female. Good point on the wording......that can really be twisted.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:59 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Force View Post
100% true - enforcement should come first! At the marina we dock at, there is a DEC boat. The only time you see it out is during "Safe Boating Week". Then it's only - lifejackets and marine reg. check. Never ask about Herring count or Stripers caught.
We were checked once on the water and they checked our keepers on board but in speaking with them they really did not know all the regs themselves.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 PM
First Mate

By in hand I would hope they mean like carrying one on shore but the wording is definetly up to translation and leaving that to an officer is a disaster.whats removed from natural environment,water,definitely needs to be rewritten so it's fool proof.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Tyee

These regs make sense and are fair for the angler and the species, there will always b those who abuse the system no matter what regs r in place,that being said this winter sucks lets go fishin🐟🐟🐟
Old 02-29-2016, 09:18 AM
First Mate

I support this, in fact I said we should do a tag system when they changed it to slots last year!
Old 03-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Striper Hunter

I'm sure DEC would love to enforce these regs as well as the existing regs but our governor doesn't think the state workforce needs the people to do that
Old 03-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgengone View Post
I'm sure DEC would love to enforce these regs as well as the existing regs but our governor doesn't think the state workforce needs the people to do that
Maybe when all of the fast food workers get replaced by machines there will be some bodies available
Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Striper Hunter

Thay can't be replaced. During there protest one woman said she works harder than a firefighter/ paramedic . Smh. Lol. ???
Sorry. Way off topic.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgengone View Post
Thay can't be replaced. During there protest one woman said she works harder than a firefighter/ paramedic . Smh. Lol. ???
Sorry. Way off topic.
It's after ice out and before striper time .... way off topic is allowed
Old 03-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Force View Post
National Headquarters of the United Striped Bass -2- Game Fish Association

13 mins ·

2) ONE STATE TAG allowing One Striped Bass per angler, over 32 inches to be in possession, if tag is properly affixed to the fish & is legally filled out in writing, with all information required. This Tag may be purchased from the state One per angler, per year, Per State during the non spawning season in each state accordingly.
I like the tag rule. However, since the Hudson is a spawning ground and you'll never see a cow outside of spawning season, sounds like most of the people on this forum would be excluded from keeping anything larger 32". I still get caught up on this, "The fish on that side of the lake are ok to keep but the fish on this side are not". They swim. They travel 100's of miles each year. So why not make the rules consistent. Make it a lottery just like antlerless deer. If you don't pull a winning ticket this year, you get priority next.

For the record, it won't matter to me. When spawning is over and the fish migrate out to the sound or Block Island. I'm out there anyway. Additionally, I'd vote for not allowing anyone/anywhere to keep a fish over 32" for the next 3 years. Then switch to a lottery after that.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
It's after ice out and before striper time .... way off topic is allowed
don't the female fish have Boobies? I could be wrong