SUMMER FLUKE OFF THE SURF - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 07-16-2005, 11:02 AM

Default SUMMER FLUKE OFF THE SURF

I WAS IN SANDY HOOK NJ ON FRIDAY THE 15TH AND WAS PULLING IN TONS OF SHORTY FLUKE ON A FLUKE RIGS WITH A STRIP FLUKE BELLY ...NOTHING ON THE 10FT WITH THE STRIPER SET-UP EXCEPT SEA ROBIN...WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE AND HOW DO YOU CATCH THEM...BUT I WILL TELL YOU GUYS ON MONDAY AT R.MOSES IN N.Y. I CAUGHT A 22'' FLUKE ON A CLAM WHILE STRIPER FISHING.. THEY SAY THE STRIPERS ARE GONE OFF THE SURF NOW..IS THIS TRUE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 11:33 AM

The stripers are real hard to come by right now. I went fishing tuesday out of Barnegat and got a 24" fluke. Lots of small ones and then on the outgoing just as the tide turned got nothing but keepers. Was into fluke all day though. I've heard of a schoolie getting caught here and there but for the most part I think they all went North to September.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Big Fluke

Hey jbrotz24 nice fluke looks about the size of the one i caught on tuesday in N.Y. :hic:
Where and when do you hit the beach...What are you doing to catch ones like that? :shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

got bass in staten island 4-6 am plugging, no bites after that. weakfish are in the wash now so go get you some clam bellies and make a hi-lo with small hooks on one pole while bucktailing w/sandworms on another, twofold chance of bass or weakie, but early am for the bass and evening tide going out (almost dead low) for weakies. in island beach area tide will be high sunday like 7am and low at like 2pm so ideally youd get 4-7 am tide and hit the beach at 11am catching the last of the outgoing for the tiderunners. then try again at 5pm thru sundown for weakfish, i guarantee you get em on the clambellies! love em! absolutely love em! :loco: :loco:

Old 07-17-2005, 09:03 PM

Right about 5 like zim said. Just as the tide starting going out. They only feed for about an hour but it was all keepers for that hour. I was using minnows with a piece of squid. There was a nice hole where it went from 20ft to 9ft and they were hanging right there. Nobody else was catching anything but smalls but this hole really produced. That big one I caught right after I put some fresh bait on my double hook and as I hit the bottom I nailed it.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:16 PM

I find this piece of info interesting Jb. A did you know? thing

Fluke can often be found perched high above the bottom on rocks and other structure.
This is completely unlike Winter Flounder, which are never found off the bottom.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:33 PM

whats the best bait and rig to use for BIG fluke? i've been trying for a long time and never caught anything more than 20 inches.
i need help
Old 09-11-2005, 01:46 PM

Hi rip. Theres a girl up here in the mountains that had an Igfa record at 15 pounds for a while and she said she caught it with a minnow (shiner). ;)

We used a small ball head jig with fluke belly and spearing. for these. Drifting.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:42 PM

i've been using a normal fluke rig with spearing, squid, and sometimes fluke belly. most of the time i fish in the surf in NJ. i've been using the drag method which seems to work well. this year i caught about 5 fluke no greater than 14 inches. its driving me nuts.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

invest in a net and get some live peanut bunker, got better than 15 past sat and would have best that sunday had i not been after weakies who just were slammin the peanuts

Old 09-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the help
Old 09-20-2005, 10:48 AM

I've had great luck using a fish finder rig (what i use for stripers) with a live snapper. those fluke LOVE live snapper!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:47 AM

I've had great luck off the Jersey shore by using a fluke rig with killies and a piece of squid. I personally use the double hook one and usually get em on the top hook. I've had luck with both the green dyed squid and regular squid. You've got to remember to keep letting more line out as you go so you stay on the bottom. My biggest has come though on the way down with fresh bait.